The Dorsoduro Thread

Discussion in 'Moto Bellissima: All Other Dualsports' started by Yooper-at-heart, Feb 4, 2010.

1. High Country Herb

High Country Herb Adventure Connoiseur

Oddometer:
    Another interesting thing I thought I'd pass on to other Dorsoduro owners here with fuel tank swelling issues; the new tanks coming from Aprilia are coming already coated internally with what looks like Caswell Coating. I am not clear if that will prevent swelling entirely, but at least Aprilia is trying to address the issue now.

I found this photo from another person who received a pre-coated tank. My coating didn't have bubbles like this.

[​IMG]
  2. rudolf35

rudolf35 Warped & Twisted Mind

Oddometer:
    Well, per parts list at the dealer, the 2014 DD came with a o-ring. We will see in about 1,500 miles.
  3. High Country Herb

Oddometer:
    It was an earlier year that people reported both ways. Sounds like by 2014 they switched over. I haven't opened up my 2009.
  4. rudolf35

Oddometer:
    Even if paper; it is worth opening up to get ALL the coolant out if make is unknown.
  5. RadicalTireSkid

RadicalTireSkid BURNOUT WHEELIE!!!!!

Oddometer:
    i think in 2014/2015 they switched to a chain drive water pump rather than with the plastic idler gear.
  6. High Country Herb

Oddometer:
    If I ever have to get a new motor, that will be a major consideration!

As soon as I typed that, the gear in my mind began to wonder if the DD900 motor would bolt in. :baldy

:lol3
  7. RadicalTireSkid

Oddometer:

you can probably buy the parts and swap it out if your are really concerned. Off memory, it looked like it was just a part swap between the chain drive and the plastic gears...
    High Country Herb likes this.
  8. rudolf35

Oddometer:
    I like the way Herb thinks: one part, a 900 motor :photog
  9. High Country Herb

Oddometer:
    If you need a replacement, might as well add displacement! :lol3
  10. rudolf35

Oddometer:
    Well, went off the deep end. I liked the DD so much I had to see what the Shiver 900 is all about; that was a mistake. Now the owner of a 2018 Shiver 900 to keep my DD and Triumph Scrambler company.

E237F85A-0E42-44C2-9EEA-3BDD01FA8F76.jpeg

To be dead honest, not only was it lust for the Shiver but also a good and long needed move to downsize the heard. One really needs to question the size of the heard when the “fleet” insurance discount is more than the safety discount. :jack

7AA74018-7FA5-43DC-B60E-83494A554B2A.jpeg
    :-)
  11. High Country Herb

Oddometer:
    Aside from the different seating positions, how does it compare to the DD750? Does it sound different, more torque, power wheelies, etc?

I really like the color combo on that bike.
  12. rudolf35

Oddometer:
    Well, in the short time I have ridden it I can say torque is spread nicely over the power band. As to the sound, not as raspy as the DD but still a nice note to it.
    What I noticed the most was the better suspension. April is did a good job for a "stock" setup.
    Also noted that it feels a bit heavier than the DD; might just be the bars are shorter thus less leverage.
    High Country Herb likes this.
  13. b9farm

b9farm n00b

Oddometer:
    Looking for some advice on a possible DD1200 purchase. I recently sold my 2nd 1100 hyper with plans on purchasing a husky 701sm. But just can’t swing $10-$12K right now. I emailed this guy for a little info. He is the original owner. Title is clean. He does not have the stock exhaust. The Leo Vince exhaust was put on by dealer when he bought it. Seems like a really good deal to me. I just was wondering if any current DD owners had any advice of what to look for and what questions to ask when I go look at it. Here is the link to the CL add.

https://detroit.craigslist.org/okl/mcy/d/mint-2011-aprilia-dorsoduro/6574211429.html
  14. rudolf35

Oddometer:
    Besides the normal tires, leaks, headstock, chain set etc. check, there is nothing specific to a DD to check; at least from what I have noticed.
    From the images it looks like it also has a non-stock rear shock; a good thing. As to the cans, I would not worry about it. If the are not to loud and the computer does no throw errors, the aftermarket cans are a positive.
    To be honest, if I would have found the 1200 DD closer to me it would be in my garage instead of what I have. So, if the papers are good, the bike checks out I would go for it.
  15. RadicalTireSkid

Oddometer:
    That is a good deal since the cheapest DD1200 I've ever found was a year ago for $7200

edit: scratch that... there is one in Forney TX for $4500. Maybe I should pick it up....
  16. rudolf35

Oddometer:
    Well crackers, have the DD up on the stands for the 12k maintenance and confirmed my suspensions - countershaft seal is leaking :dirtdog
    It is no big deal to change, but darn it is cruddy in there. One good thing though, did notice that the previous owner had mounted a “normal” master link on the chain so I do not have to loosen the rear wheel; get the blessings where one can.
    After I tend to the seal, I will drain the coolant, check the valve lash and then change the oil. Fun, fun!
    D2158E25-A622-41E5-97F3-43123DC2D253.jpeg
  17. rudolf35

Oddometer:
    So, my question on the best way to drain the DD coolant has been answered. Take the lower hose off, drain the radiator, then loosen the waterpump fasteners and back the waterpump off about a quarter inch and drain out most of the motor. The caveat is that the newer, mine a 2014, have a O-ring seal thus reusable; do not know when the move to O-ring v.s. Gasket took place.

A753B5B7-A885-4690-A9F7-363FD12E9763.jpeg

After mesuring the valve lash, it became obvious that some reshimming will have to take place. Oh well, I get to use my 4mm 10 pack of steel rods I got off Flea-Bay last year; work perfect. Anyway, looking at my results, I will set all the valves to their midpoint so as to save me the pain at 24k.
    Since intake is 0.11 - 0.18 the midpoint is 0.145 and exhaust 0.16 - 0.23 the midpoint is 0.195 .

ABA29DD9-EF23-4B99-A762-293305674308.jpeg

So now it is waiting time for the brown truck to deliver my shim kit.
    :rayof
    RadicalTireSkid likes this.
  18. KJDub

KJDub Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Had a nice three day ride in the Cascades on my Dorso last week. Rode both pavement and gravel, bike does remarkably well on both. Wish I could turn off ABS on the rear though, miss steering with the brake! Here are some pics. The first is on old Blewett Pass rd, a delightfully twisty, rough and neglected bit of pavement. The second two are from a forest rd south of hwy 97, one framing the Alpine Lakes wilderness, the other Mt Rainier. I was sorry I had to be back home on Sunday!

Attached Files:

RadicalTireSkid and Baroquenride like this.
  19. Baroquenride

Baroquenride Everyone dies, but not everyone truly lives.

Oddometer:
    I'm curious what you guys with the 750's are getting for mpg's? How about you 1200's?
    Oh, and how big is the tank on each?
  20. RadicalTireSkid

Oddometer:
    I pretty much get 40-45mpg.