The Dorsoduro Thread

Discussion in 'Moto Bellissima: All Other Dualsports' started by Yooper-at-heart, Feb 4, 2010.

1. rudolf35

rudolf35 Warped & Twisted Mind

Oddometer:
    FYI as to “pinning” and only doing one cam and set of valves at a time - poppykock!
    After taking the valve cover off I noticed that the cams drive gear is in two parts with a spring between them holding tension.

0D3D02A5-E0F5-4567-A91B-D0DD256A2360.jpeg

So, the pins through the cams just keep the cams from falling out, they do not hold the two gears in alignment. With that noted, I made a set of pins that go through the two gears and hold alignment ( Aprillia want’s $65 a pop for them).

A63846C5-B6AD-423A-BAE9-3C9572FB43E7.jpeg

Once I had two made, taking both cams out to do the shims was a breeze,

8ECB0DC2-3964-47A4-BE5C-13FC178D6D93.jpeg

The engine did not move and it made the shim replacement less fiddlly; after getting everything back together the bike fired up on the second rotation of the motor :clap

Attached Files:

2. RadicalTireSkid

RadicalTireSkid BURNOUT WHEELIE!!!!!

Oddometer:
    did you buy a shim kit? or just head to a dealer?
  3. ratmoul

ratmoul Adventurer

Oddometer:
    If I remember right, I think the tank on the DD1200 is 15 ltr. I usually get about 150 to 160 km (100 miles) to the light coming on and about 200 to 220km ( 125 + miles) until flame out. I think this would be typical when traveling somewhere on a twisty mountain road. Could be less in town of course with lots of starting and stopping.
  4. rudolf35

Oddometer:
    I purchased the shim kit. Remember, what is printed on the shim and measured reality are vastly different - that is why the $40 for a shim kit is worth it.
    RadicalTireSkid likes this.
  5. rudolf35

Oddometer:
    On my DD I quite regularly get 120 miles to idiot light; traveling - in town 100 miles is it.
  6. ratmoul

ratmoul Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Yes, that sounds about normal but the light comes on way too early when you still have 4 litres or about a gallon left.
  7. ratmoul

ratmoul Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Could you kindly tell me where you purchased your shim kit from? Thanks Tom
  8. rudolf35

Oddometer:
    AF-1 inAustin,TX It is a Moose Racing kit
  9. High Country Herb

High Country Herb Adventure Connoiseur

Oddometer:
    I get 40-45 mpg as well. The tank is 3.2 gallons. I usually have the low fuel light come on at 110 miles indicated, which is about 100 miles with my gearing.
  10. KJDub

KJDub Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I have a 2016 750, ride it on everything from the super slab to fire roads. I calculate the mpg every fill up. I've seen a low of 32 mpg, a high of 48 mpg. The mpg seems to correspond most closely to the ambient temperature, not the way I ride the bike. The better numbers are recorded in the summer, the worse numbers in the winter. The bike has a 3 gallon tank. I've added a 1.75 g Rotopax to the tail rack, which will take 1.9 g if you fill it to the tip top. You can see it in the pics attached to my previous post. That gives me a summer range of over 200 miles which is acceptable.
  11. danketchpel

danketchpel Long timer

Oddometer:
    I agree with you. I rest rode a DD750 back around 2012-13 and rather liked the bike. I was interested in morphing it into a dual sport type bike but in the end backed off from it. I just recently picked up a 2017 Ducati Desert Sled and if Aprilia did a little work on the DD750 it could easily become a competitor to the Sled.

I found this DD that had some conversion work done which looks to be a good bit of the way there.
    [​IMG]

A photo of my Desert Sled for comparison.
    [​IMG]
    Gian and RadicalTireSkid like this.
  12. RadicalTireSkid

Oddometer:
    I rode one of those scramblers. They have more power than I thought.
    danketchpel likes this.
  13. High Country Herb

Oddometer:
    The spoke wheels are the difficult (or expensive) part. I have done everything else to mine, but not the wheels. I would love to find out where the spoke wheels that guy built went, and buy them.
    [​IMG] \

I found the TKC80 tires to be too unstable at speed once they start to wear down, so have switched to Pirelli MT60 tires that were offered in 180 width thanks to the introduction of the Ducati Scrambler. These tires are the perfect compromise. With just a few psi change, they work pretty well off road, and excellent on asphalt. They really come into their element on patchwork asphalt, which is 75% of California roads these days. :lol3
    [​IMG]

I bought a second set of wheels for track use, and wrapped them in super sticky DOT tires.
    [​IMG]

I was surprised at how large the Desert Sled felt compared to the standard Scrambler. I would estimate it felt 1-2 inches larger than the Dorsoduro ergonomically. It had about equal power to the Dorsoduro's "Rain" mode. I think it would be a great bike for a tall rider, say 6' tall and above.
    danketchpel likes this.
  14. Gian

Gian dreamer

Oddometer:
    After many years, once again there are rumours about a "new" Aprilia Tuareg, twin of course...

this was 8 years ago, a big chance lost

[​IMG]

let's see what happens this time ;)
  15. RadicalTireSkid

Oddometer:
    yea even HD is getting in the game, though I bet the HD bike weight 9,000lbs
  16. High Country Herb

Oddometer:
    Speaking of concept bikes; this one looks like it has power steering, or even steer-by-wire. It would probably look a lot more normal with a gauge cluster and wind screen on it. I could see this showing up on the next Mission Impossible movie. :lol3

[​IMG]

(I thought this thread needed a poke.)
  17. Baroquenride

Baroquenride Everyone dies, but not everyone truly lives.

Oddometer:
    Would not buy. Needs a milk crate. :lol3

Seriously though, very interesting!
  18. motoman12

motoman12 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Dan, Really like the spoke wheels on this Aprilia DD. The rear appears to be for Tubeless with the spokes on the external edge! I wish Ducati offered that as an option on the desert sled.
  19. rudolf35

Oddometer:
    My 2014 Dorso has developed a oil drip around the countershaft area. I have replaced the seal, it is still dripping. The only remaining seal is the gear indicator seal but that is to low to be the cause.
    I wonder, if my plugging the vent on the rear cylinder, that was leading to the charcoal canister is causing overptesure in the motor? At high rpm’s, city driving in a lower gear, it seems the aggravate the drip; after a highway run there is almost no oil dripping.
    Is that rear cylinder vent a “blower” or a “sucker” - any ideas?:confused

FYI, the are around and below the rear cam chain tensioner is dry.
  20. RadicalTireSkid

Oddometer:
    there is a small plug on the cylinder that may need tightened. It's a set screw basically and it sits near the cam chain tensioner. That could be dripping its way down. I had that problem on the front cylinder.. that may be your problem for the rear as both cylinders have the set screw.