the DR200 thread

Discussion in 'Thumpers' started by klxrdr, May 13, 2007.

1. THRASHED

THRASHED In your helmet, no-one can hear you sing, I hope.

Oddometer:
    I've found that running it dead once...maybe twice...won't absolutely kill it, but it will likely shorten the life span.
  2. Trailrider200

Trailrider200 Long timer

Oddometer:
    low amps and longer time is the best way to charge a battery. use a modern smart motorcycle battery charger for minimum 10 hrs and it will be good to go.
  3. BC1

BC1 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Thanks. The battery tender wouldnt light up when it was at 2 volts, so I gave it a 1amp charge for an hour to get it to 11.4, now put back on the tender.
    Hopefully it will hold a charge steady. If not, well its only $50 for new.
  4. BC1

BC1 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    All is well it seems with the battery, well tested on this ride. 20190611_193116.jpg 20190611_194541.jpg 20190611_194545.jpg
    Stuart_51, dsilver1007 and MYUMPH like this.
  5. brother dan

brother dan Lost in my mind

Oddometer:
    3 years ago, i sold my DR650, figuring i was done with riding bikes (remarried, young kids again, no time for that).. but, as the fates may have it.. i got sucked into the bike world again.. not that i'm complaining. My retired pal Jerry is getting on in years and can't backpack with me or even do much in the way of day hiking do to some health issues. So, after conferring with his wife, he got permission to buy a TW 200.. the only conditions she set were 1) he needed to spend more time in the gym and 2) he can't ride alone.. He tells me this of course after he's bought his new TW. I didn't really want to buy a new bike and have any sort of payments, so on a whim, i looked on Cragislist. Low and behold, i find a 2001 DR 200SE. Price was very cheap ($1600) Miles were pretty low (3100) only problem was, i'm the number 2 guy on the list to get it. I go to my buddy Jerry's house, and relay the info, and leave it up to the fates to decide if i'll start riding again. and decide they did. Right after i tell about the craigslist find, i get a text message from the owner, saying the other potential buyer wasn't answering his text anymore. Less then an hour later, i'm a new (used) owner of another bike. It fits the bill for what i wanted a small bike for. Kind of surprised it doesn't have as large of an aftermarket as the DR650.. but that's ok. I've got plans for my own additions to it.

Happy Trails! Dan

Attached Files:

6. BC1

BC1 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Congrats. They are super gutless but just sniff fuel compared to the 650. Also easier to ride on little trails, the little bugger just goes!
    No way you can find a used one for that price around here, you got a new bike thats broken in for you :clap
    brother dan likes this.
  7. no

no dreaming adventurer Supporter

Oddometer:
    Check out Procycle, they have some odds and ends for the DR200.
    brother dan likes this.
  8. Trailrider200

Trailrider200 Long timer

Oddometer:
    best major mod I've done to date was to install a LT230E head that I ported and polished with the DR200 camshaft.
    second great mod is replacing the OEM rear spring with the spring from a Yamaha XV500 Virago shock.
    brother dan likes this.
  9. XArmy

XArmy uhhhhh......

Oddometer:
    Bought a new front sprocket, but forgot how the old one came off. Which way does the front sprocket go? big lip to the inside or outside?
  10. Jodaddy

Jodaddy Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Big lip towards motor
  11. BigIron805

BigIron805 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Has anyone found that the side stand folds up a little too easy ?
  12. Trailrider200

Trailrider200 Long timer

Oddometer:
    Looking for recommendations for the largest sized tires that will fit the DR200. Thanks
  13. Tysonmcfarlane

Tysonmcfarlane n00b

Oddometer:
    Hi everyone, I recently bought a 2008 DR200 and while cleaning and making it ready to ride, I discovered something mildly concerning. I had the rear wheel off the ground to adjust, clean and lube the chain. When I finished I thought I'd fire it up and make sure its all ok, and I discovered that with no resistance to hold the wheel (brakes, ground etc.), the rear wheel turns while in first gear, WITH THE CLUTCH IN. I'm still learning about bike engines and transimissions, but last time I checked, it wasnt supposed to do that. It seems to ride just fine on the road. Has anyone else seen this? Is it pretty normal, or am I having clutch issues already?
  14. Trailrider200

Trailrider200 Long timer

Oddometer:
    if spinning real slow and u can stop with your hand, somewhat normal. anything else not esp if it starts picking up speed Not.

recommend you adjust the clutch cable,
    with the manual and this vid,
  15. Mick98

Mick98 n00b

Oddometer:
    Hey guys. Recently bought a 1987 DR200. Having an issue figuring out if the choke is disengaging. It only moves in/out 5mm maximum, and I can't hear any difference in the idle when i push it back in, nor does the bike sound like it wants to turn off at all, so I can't tell if it's on or off. Anyone have any advice? Cheers
  16. Jodaddy

Jodaddy Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Unscrew the choke and clean it and the passageway. Any slack in the throttle cables.
  17. Mick98

Mick98 n00b

Oddometer:
    Looked fairly clean but there was a crack in the plastic spacer or whatever it is, not sure if it would affect it. The throttle cable has a tiny bit of slack maybe 10mm max

Attached Files:

18. Jodaddy

Jodaddy Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Does the plunger stay out? Idle could be set high as well. In the float bowl is a port that allows extra fuel to be introduced in front of the slide. That could be clogged
  19. BC1

BC1 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    20190618_212327.jpg Anyone know how to test the diode? Heres what i have
  20. FoggRider

FoggRider Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Looking for some advice:

Thinking about picking up a DR200 as I recently rode one for a day on a mixture of mild flowy single track, double track, dirt roads and twisty mountain pavement. I had a blast on the little DR and the best part was I didn’t have severe ass and back pain at the end of the day (the 2017 MY DR200 has a fantastic OEM seat. All day comfortable IMO). The trails weren’t very technical or challenging. I did manage to get the bike to a point where it had very little power and was stalling often on a loose uphill section where I had to slip the clutch a bit. There was a clutch adjustment problem that I was not aware of until a while after that may have influenced this behavior from the bike.

My concern lies in whether or not the little DR can handle some of the terrain I would likely be riding with i it on a fairly regular basis. It would occasionally be seeing long steep and loose hill climbs and more so a lot of tight technical rocky terrain where overheating would be a concern. If it matters, the bike I am coming from is a recently sold 2014 KTM 350 EXC-F. Anyone with first hand experience riding this kind of stuff with their DR, your opinion matters to me very much as I really do love the little bike and want it to work for me and the type of riding I do.