the DR200 thread

Discussion in 'Thumpers' started by klxrdr, May 13, 2007.

1. Jodaddy

Jodaddy Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I went one tooth down on the cs sprocket which helped a lot. Pumper carb also helped. I Plan to swap in a lt230 cylinder head when its time for a new top end. Also have ktm 450 in the garage. The 200 is capable but not always the best tool for the job. Long steep hills require some work which will improve your skills.
    FoggRider likes this.
  2. FoggRider

FoggRider Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    What model pumper carb did you go with? Is it compatible with late model DRs?
  3. Desert Denizen

Desert Denizen The least interesting man in the world

Oddometer:
    According to the wiring diagram, the center terminal is common. So assuming (danger!) you have the multimeter set to Ohms (resistance), with one test lead
    on the center and the other test lead on one of the other two terminals, you will have high resistance shown and by reversing the leads you will have much lower resistance.
    Keeping one lead on the center terminal and the other lead on the other outside terminal, you should have the same results. There are actually two diodes in that little gizmo.
    A diode is essentially a one-way electrical valve, permitting current to flow in one direction a blocking current in the other.
  4. BC1

BC1 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Thanks, im pretty sure its fine. I bumped the battery post against the rectifier, now i have nothing but a bright neutral indicator. Unfortunately it wasnt simple like a fuse.
    Still trying to diagnose what blew.
  5. BigIron805

BigIron805 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Has anyone found that the side stand folds up a little too easy? Is there a fix for this? Maybe I'm just used to a heavier bike?
  6. BC1

BC1 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    My sidestand seems to work as it should, and stays put. Not sure what to suggest.
    BigIron805 likes this.
  7. 3bangin

3bangin 2014 tiger 800, 2018 tiger 800 xca Supporter

Oddometer:
    Fuel petcock advise ..........or just beat the wife?
    So, this is literally the 10th phucking time I've drained a gallon or so of gas out of the crank case in the past 5 years.
    I've changed the needle and seat a couple times and have tried two different vacuum peacocks in the past. Always going back to the tried and true plain, on/off/reserve
    Petcock.
    The problem, the wife can't seem to remember to shut the petcock off after she rides the bike. It sits sometimes for months .
    I say, just turn the petcock to off when your done..............her, I dont have to do that to my Triumph!
    I try to explain the differences but I get the empty (there is no amount of explaining that's going to make a difference look) look.

It's almost comical because I cant remember to look or to remind her.

I do seem to remember to check the sight glass every time though.
    Any ideas for fool proofing? Or just stay the course? 20190623_152158.jpg
  8. BC1

BC1 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I replaced mine with the yamaha one reccomended in this thread, the raptor quad i think. I few times i forgot to shut it off but no leak issues. The stock one is faulty.
  9. Jimo368

Jimo368 Quantum Mechanic

Oddometer:
    My DRZ did the same thing until I replaced it with the Yamaha petcock as well.
  10. BigIron805

BigIron805 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Was the petcock issue fixed on the 15 and up models?
  11. 3bangin

Oddometer:
    Yamaha vacuum petcock?
    Figures, sometimes you stumble over the obvious until someone slaps you with a smart stick.

Thanks, Bob.
  12. 3bangin

Oddometer:
    So, one reason this issue needs to be fixed is late this fall we are trying to plan a trip down to Todo Santos Baja with both bikes.
    20190623_170754.jpg

Trailering them close to the border.
  13. NJ-Brett

NJ-Brett Brett

Oddometer:
    You should turn the petcock off on every bike that is not fuel injected.
    It should be a habit, done with the bike, petcock off, key out.
    Vacuum petcocks fail eventually, one way or another, I bin them at the start.

14. 3bangin

Oddometer:
    Yup, agree.
  15. Jodaddy

Jodaddy Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Mikuni tm31 from a dr250. I wasn’t sure how well it was going to work so I bought one used from a fellow inmate. That said it probably would have better to have bought a new tm28 pumper and used the jetting specs from the 80’s dirt models. Had to do a little work to make the cables function and do away with the vacuum petcock. These flat slide pumper carbs do wear out so I was really lucky to get one in really good shape.
    FoggRider likes this.
  16. XArmy

XArmy uhhhhh......

Oddometer:
    Well, She's alive! Here is my little 99 200 I picked up for $800. Put new tires, chain, sprockets, hand guards and a lithium battery on it (and a few other odds and ends). Runs like a champ. Hardly a scratch on it.

[​IMG]
    Bors, tony the tiger, 3bangin and 4 others like this.
  17. BC1

BC1 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Thief :lol3:lol2
  18. BC1

BC1 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Fwiw I made a USB adapter and mounted it off the turn signal bracket, connected to an unused plug under the headlight cover. Works gR8
    Made a how to video

19. BigMac774

BigMac774 n00b

Oddometer:
    I recently bought a 2006 DR200. Its previous owner had disconnected the clutch position sensor and I reconnected it but saw an unused plug under the headlight cover while doing so. The plug has a black wire with a white stripe and a brown wire attached to it. I assumed it was for something else the previous owner had also disconnected but couldn't find anything for it to plug into.

I'm I looking at the same unused plug you used for your USB adapter? If that's the case, I guess I don't need to concern myself anymore about what the plug could be for. I've been wondering what it's for ever since noticing it and thinking just my DR200 had it because something was removed from it before I bought it.
  20. Trailrider200

Trailrider200 Long timer

Oddometer:

that might be the accessory plug. talked about over 20 posts ago. also see some recent posts for free manual download.