the DR200 thread

Discussion in 'Thumpers' started by klxrdr, May 13, 2007.

1. lengolad

lengolad Adventurer

Oddometer:
    @ BC1: Nice! We're just down the road a bit in SA. Just trying to help my son put his DR200 together. Don't know if we'll get out this season yet, but we're sure trying!

On that note, anyone know how many turns out to set the pilot air screw? We couldn't count turns when we cleaned the carb because there was no spring, washer, or o-ring behind it... :-( We've got it at 2 1/2 turns, but would love some 'expert' advice! ;-) Thanks.
  2. Trailrider200

Trailrider200 Long timer

Oddometer:
    3 to 3 1/2 turns out works really well.
  3. lengolad

lengolad Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Thanks Trailrider200! We'll give that a try to begin. It's good to have a reference point! ;-)
    Trailrider200 likes this.
  4. BC1

BC1 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Im leaner then 3.5 in kamloops. Make a 90 degree screwdriver out of thick wire and ride/tune it. Im about 2.75 or so but i went fatter on the main, 132.5, pilot 37.5.
    Trailrider200 likes this.
  5. lengolad

lengolad Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Another data point--awesome! I like your idea for making a 'screwdriver'; we'll have to rig something up. ;-)
  6. andruboz

andruboz Serial overfiller

Oddometer:
    my Moose Racing carb rebuild kit showed up in the mail today. any tips tricks and sage advice? bought it because 'low speed jet' appears to be gummed up after sitting too long. runs on choke, sometimes makes it up in rpm and runs there too but stalls where the midrange half throttle should be.
  7. Jodaddy

Jodaddy Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    No useful advice here. Sorry
  8. Trailrider200

Trailrider200 Long timer

Oddometer:
    "seat mating surface with some polish and a q tip in a drill."

one of the worst things one can do, should never be done, unless one is a carb shop with specific tools and expertise.
  9. lengolad

lengolad Adventurer

Oddometer:
  10. lengolad

lengolad Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Another data point for the pilot screw setting:
    I have a PDF manual for the DR200SET ('96 model), with supplements for '97-'03, '04-05, '06, '07-08, and '09 models. Buried in the carb specs in two of the supplements ('04-05 and '06), it says "Pilot screw -- 1 1/2 turns out." Every other carb spec chart has "PRE-SET"... The carb for those years is the same MIKUNI BST31SS, but the ID no. in the charts is 42AA, rather than 42AC for all the rest. Anyone know what the difference is? What the charts indicate is:
    Main jet: #125 (42AC) vs. #122.5 (42AA)
    Pilot jet: #35 (42AC) vs. #40 (42AA)
    Anyway, interesting that the 42AA carb is different, and actually has pilot screw turn-out specs listed.
  11. Trailrider200

Trailrider200 Long timer

Oddometer:
    just about all screwdrivers are designed to work for both screw types today. these harbor freights work extremely well. https://www.harborfreight.com/2-x-4-inch-phillips-screwdriver-94707.html

http://rtstools.com/jis-vs-phillips-screwdrivers-and-where-to-buy-a-jis-screwdriver/
    "Most JIS advertised screwdrivers sold today by companies like Vessel, Hozan, and others are actually conforming to a new standard: DIN 5260 which is identical (at the tip) to the newer ISO 8764-1."
    "The reason these companies have changed to DIN 5260/ISO 8764-1 is because the new standard is designed to work in both Phillips and JIS screws. For the most part that is true, it does work on both screw types, but like anything meant to work with multiple things, the middle ground means compromise. The JIS standard screwdriver will always outperform a DIN/ISO screw driver in the worst of conditions on a JIS screw, and the same is true in reverse."

"To date, I have only been able to find one confirmed manufacturer that still uses and builds to JIS B 4633, and that is SUNFLAG otherwise known as New Turtle in Japan:"
    http://www.sunflag.co.jp/english/company/company.html
    Nobade likes this.
  12. Trailrider200

Trailrider200 Long timer

Oddometer:
    I have same manual. some of those supplement pages are actually for DR200s for other countries. one is actually for the Trojan DR, which helped me find the correct oil amount after I added a Trojan oil cooler.
  13. lengolad

lengolad Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Didn't know about ISO 8764-1...:p I use this set of Vessel bits: https://www.vesseltools.com/industrial-bits/bit-sets/a-16621-detail. All I know is that with them I can get out screws with heads that "normal" Phillips bits have mangled... They slot in with amazing precision! And the beauty of a 1/4" bit is that you can use it with a ratchet handle to get more torque for screws 'frozen' into aluminum. I've got a collection of regular Phillips screwdrivers, but they don't come close to the Vessel bits for fit. My boys have already learned to leave them aside when working on their bikes. ;-)
  14. lengolad

lengolad Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Yep! I'm always looking for info for E-28 -- Canada (country codes are listed on page 1-9). Curiously, the supplements include info for an E-06 model; is that the Trojan? Because E-06 isn't listed in the codes on p. 1-9, but it's grouped with the E-24 -- Australia...
  15. Trailrider200

Trailrider200 Long timer

Oddometer:
    don't disagree, the point is they are all using the new std including vessel, so they are still getting top dollar for the same screw driver one can get at the local store.
  16. Trailrider200

Trailrider200 Long timer

Oddometer:
    DR200SEK6 is the Trojan pg 11-17, and under E-06, oil capacity is 1.1 qts. It was the only section that shows a larger capacity.
  17. lengolad

lengolad Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I guess the mangled heads I come across are from previous owners with pre-ISO 8764-1 Phillips screwdrivers (like those in my toolbox...). Bottom line: do your bike a favour and replace your tired, old Phillips screwdriver! :-)
  18. Westcoasthumpin

Westcoasthumpin Been here awhile

Oddometer:

I came across this and figured there must be a DR200 thread.
    buckskinner likes this.
  19. no

no dreaming adventurer Supporter

Oddometer:
    That's one of those "it's not the bike, it's the rider moments."
    buckskinner likes this.
  20. Jodaddy

Jodaddy Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I felt so bad for him in those whoops. Brought back memories of having to use a string off my backpack to tie down the seat after the bolts backed out. Good fun.