the DR200 thread

Discussion in 'Thumpers' started by klxrdr, May 13, 2007.

1. kostikos

kostikos Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I am having a problem with bogging. On idle it revs just fine. When I ride, it starts heavily bogging above some rpm. The spark plug is very sooty (it's a new one). What can cause that? The carb is dialed in and starts from cold no problem. I think it's electric related somehow. Ignition coil is new, I had to buy it cause it was missing when I was restoring the bike.
    Here is a video with sound.
  2. Nobade

Nobade Keep on keepin' on...

Oddometer:
    If there's no backfiring out the pipe, it's likely the carb being too rich. Check to see if it has stock jets, and if so there's fuel coming from somewhere else. Float too high? Leaking intake seat? Choke not completely disengaging? Could be many things. Is the sparkplug carboned up too?
  3. kostikos

kostikos Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Seats are fresh. Stock jets? I 've never seen the stock carb, actually lol. Indeed , it was jetted rich as hell. Thanks for the inspiration.
    Nobade likes this.
  4. BigMac774

BigMac774 n00b

Oddometer:
    Quick question. Do DR200s, at least those with stock carburetors and carb settings overheat easily?

The reason I ask is because I finally found a decently long trail thru some woods that no one, or at least I think no one is going to complain if I ride but I like to go slow to take in the views and not worry about damaging or crashing my bike. Therefore, I just keep it in 1st gear and cruise along at around 5mph but of course, slow speeds don't provide much air flow. Being an air cooled engine with no temp gauge on the instrument panel, I don't know how it's doing. It's winter now and rarely above 40 degrees so I'd image that greatly helps the engine keep cool but in summer it gets to 80 to 90 degrees and pretty humid. Will a DR200 cruising along at single digit speeds for 10 to 20 minutes at a time have issues?

Attached Files:

5. Trailrider200

Trailrider200 Long timer

Oddometer:
    using 2nd will be best, esp since 1st is a super low ratio. higher rpms will create more heat. I put a factory oil cooler on mine from an overseas DR200 farm model. now the vanvan cooler is avail and will fit.
    Klay likes this.
  6. 3bangin

3bangin 2014 tiger 800, 2018 tiger 800 xca Supporter

Oddometer:
    Great day for a ride! 20200228_133406.jpg
    2 spoke, BC1, MYUMPH and 2 others like this.
  7. packerbacker

packerbacker Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    anyone have a used DG or FMF slip on they wanna sell?
  8. SimonsonFlat

SimonsonFlat n00b

Oddometer:
    What would it mean if there IS backfiring out of the pipe? I just recently bought a DR200 and mine is doing that.
  9. SimonsonFlat

SimonsonFlat n00b

Oddometer:
    I'm new to the game and can't seem to find a basic carburetor rebuild kit for the DR200, or the brand of carb for that matter. Where does everyone else find the parts they want for their bikes? Are there other specific bike parts that would work on the DR200s? The guy I bought my bike from didn't ride it much so I am guessing the carb is all gunked up and needs a good cleaning based on its current performance.
  10. Klay

Klay dreaming adventurer Supporter

Oddometer:
    Look for carburetor repair kit, here:
    https://procycle.us/model/suzuki/dr200

You might not need anything but a thorough carb clean, however.
  11. neppi

neppi Long timer

Oddometer:
    I bought the jets from the Suzuki dealer a few yrs back. I got them cheaper from there than from eBay and it was the same wait. Asked for one size bigger, all of them, and that’s what I got.

Pull the carb apart, put it in a slow cooker in vinegar for a couple of hours, rinse with water, ”dry” with carb cleaner and put everything back together with the new jets.

A good idea would be to clean the tank / tap and add an inline fuel filter before connecting the fuel line back to the carb. Unless you want to do the same show again...
    SimonsonFlat likes this.
  12. bIackjack95

bIackjack95 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    What tires are compatible with an 09 dr200? would a 100/100 18 work in the rear? and do I need a 70/70 in the front like I think oem is? trying to get my bike back to running again had an issue where it would die after giving gas my guess was the carb I got a cheap $70 new carb off ebay hopefully it works well. I also posted a year ago or so the leaking oil issue along all the cracks or areas where a gasket would be. idk if I should replace all of those or what or just keep riding.
  13. Gamma20

Gamma20 n00b

Oddometer:
    I was able to fit 80/100x21 front and 120/100x18 rear (trakmasters) just fine.
    Trailrider200 likes this.
  14. Bugchewer

Bugchewer Piece of Work

Oddometer:
    WNY hills of Wyoming County, maple syrup & cheese!
    Question for you Dr folks. I am looking to get a nice light DS for trail and dirt roaring where I live. I have a Tiger 800 that I use for everything now. I Had a DR650 and A WR250R that I sold (dumb move I know). I am 5'10" and 190 lbs. I was considering an XT250 but the seat seemed too low but I liked the bike otherwise. I may consider another DR650 but the appeal of the light and simple machines is where I am leaning. I assume the DR200 will do that. My local dealer tells me they are gutless but I am almost 60 and just want to enjoy myself in the woods on a inexpensive and fun bike. Thoughts?
  15. packerbacker

packerbacker Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I think it would be perfect for what you are looking for. I'm in my mid 30s and will never get rid of mine. It really shines on the easy-intermediate trails, gutless yes but lightweight and smooth. My friends on their 650s pass me by on the street but I smile and putt past them off road while they are struggling to keep their pigs upright. I swapped my rear shock with a virago shock and put some pretty aggressive dot knobbies on mine, made a huge difference. Doesn't compare to a wr250r in anyway but you can also buy 4 used dr200s for the same price as a wr250r.
    The_Precious_Juice and Bugchewer like this.
  16. Trailrider200

Trailrider200 Long timer

Oddometer:
    gutless? stay away from the dealer.
    the OEM muffler is a cork. U have to either drill thru the internal epa plates or install an aftermarket muffler. idle mixture screw needs to be opened to about 3 1/2. Want even more response put a ported/polished LT230e head on, (indicating that the DR200 is a destroked engine, with same bore as the ATV LT230 engines) the intake valve is one mm smaller than DR 200 OEM head. now mine runs like it should have been built in the first place.
    Bugchewer likes this.
  17. Bugchewer

Bugchewer Piece of Work

Oddometer:
    WNY hills of Wyoming County, maple syrup & cheese!
    Thanks guys!
  18. BC1

BC1 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I have a blast on mine on all fsr, trails and offroad adventures. It really does suck on highways so i stay off them. I went 1 tooth smaller on the cs and now it climbs damn near anything, even with camping gear on. Great fuel range too.
    Having said that i need a dr650 in my stable for longer routes with hwy's.
  19. bIackjack95

bIackjack95 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    ok so no issues there?
    I can buy the kenda k670 trakmaster off ebay for under a 100 each tire is this good tire? also the carb I bought off ebay doesn't fit at least the opening into the engine area not the rear air box but the entrance going into the engine idk what its called is too large compared to the carb. can I manage with this and rig it somewhow or do I need to buy a new one. im out of the return window. thanks
  20. Bhart89

Bhart89 Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    I’m looking for a magnetic oil drain bolt. I can’t seem to find one for my 2015 DR200s. Does the DR 200 use the same bolt as the DR650?