the DR200 thread

Discussion in 'Thumpers' started by klxrdr, May 13, 2007.

1. Jodaddy

Jodaddy Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Valves in spec? Carb vent or hose clogged? Float height proper? If it was the pilot jet that you couldn’t remove then odds are that will cause all sorts of issues if it or it’s passages aren’t clear.
    Trailrider200 likes this.
  2. bIackjack95

bIackjack95 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Guess ill hate to take it apart again and try to remove that? Should i just buy the kientech mod and replace it eith that?
  3. Jodaddy

Jodaddy Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Keintech closed up shop. Grab a 35 or 37.5 PJ since it’s going to get mangled more. I’m guessing you had problem with the pilot. It’s the smaller one in the float bowl. Do a web search on pilot jet removal. The last mangled pilot I removed came out with minimal drama. I started drilling it and I think the heat broke it loose because when I put the drill into reverse the jet came with it. Good luck. Use a little grease on the drill bit to collect
    The shavings if you go that route or use a left handed bit
  4. bIackjack95

bIackjack95 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Strange the website is still up? Im dont remember which one was stuck mightve been that one is it common for them to get stuck and cause issues?
  5. Jodaddy

Jodaddy Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    yes they get stuck and clogged and cause problems? Let’s assume the pilot circuit is clear. How many turns out on the fuel screw are you at? If you do get the keintech kit then jets will be supplied with it.
  6. NSR250

NSR250 n00b

Oddometer:
    Well, took the engine apart. Rings were not stuck or broken. Lots of carbon deposits around the intake valve. Cylinder looks ok. Not much in the way of hatch marks but no scoring. Piston says 0.5 so I'm guessing an oversized piston.

Only thing I can think of to do at the moment is to replace the valve seals.
  7. Jodaddy

Jodaddy Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Worn rings maybe? Check the end gaps to see if they’re in spec. Turn the cylinder head upside down and pour some oil to cover the valve faces. Let it sit overnight to see if the valves are sealing. Valve stem seals can get ruined if the valves are not completely sealed. Any chance you did a compression or leak down test before it was taken apart?
  8. NSR250

NSR250 n00b

Oddometer:
    This is getting strange. Top ring end gap measures .011 but second ring measures .067 !!! Well, that's a problem. Compression test was about 110psi with almost 10% leakdown. Valves themselves seem to be sealing well.
  9. Jodaddy

Jodaddy Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I think the limit is .02”. That ll give you some blow by.
    Trailrider200 likes this.
  10. Trailrider200

Trailrider200 Long timer

Oddometer:
    from service manual

upload_2020-6-10_12-28-58.png
  11. Jodaddy

Jodaddy Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Sorry to get off topic but how did you get that zoomed in pic of the manual in the post?
  12. Trailrider200

Trailrider200 Long timer

Oddometer:
    I had downloaded the pdf for free yrs ago and just copied it from my computer
    https://www.manualslib.com/d/dr200se.html
  13. bIackjack95

bIackjack95 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Ok at this video

@ 5:52 he says float needle seat and removes, it. That seems to be the one i cant remove. Would this be the culrprit possibly? Im unsure how to remove it its pretty stuck in there.
    Needle nose pliers arent working, might end up damaging it. IDK if this would even fix the issue tbh, is there something i should look for?

Thinking maybe just replace the carb and idk hope it fixes it, I know the oem carb is around 250 to 350 to replace so wouldnt want to do that but would any of these fit the same?
    https://www.bikebandit.com/2009-suzuki-dr200se-carburetors/pab/m18126

ps i have a carb off ebay(https://www.ebay.com/itm/New-Fit-Fo...257429?hash=item1a8e29db15:g:0ukAAOSwbAZeFBL5) but it doesnt line up correctly(too small) with the engine and the throttle cable is on the opposite side lol pretty sure its probably useless yea?
    Klay likes this.
  14. SpasticCabba4age

SpasticCabba4age n00b

Oddometer:
    Hey can anyone say the normal amount of vibration a rider should experience on a dr200? I have recently bought myself a 2002 DR200 with 39,000km on the clock and its an awesome bike but taking it above 80km/h there is so much vibration from the engine that I loose feeling of the handle bars and footpegs... Everything runs smooth if I pull the clutch so its definitely the engine.

I know its not meant to be for extended highway use but I would really like to make a small adventure bike out of it. I'm waiting for a bigger front sprocket to arrive to see if I can turn it down a notch.
  15. Klay

Klay dreaming adventurer Supporter

Oddometer:
    Ours are buzzy, but not that buzzy. It really doesn't like those kind of speeds, though. Maybe check the motor mounts and see if there's a loose mount?
  16. bIackjack95

bIackjack95 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    When mine ran lol it was pretty buzzy too often feet etc would get a little numb after long rides. that only usually over 60 or so for long time. most numbness is related to the horrible seat lol
  17. SpasticCabba4age

SpasticCabba4age n00b

Oddometer:
    Checked mounts are all tight. Bear in mind I've only ever owned an rg150 and a gn250. I suppose it has a lot more kick than a gn250, a lot more rpm, and much less dampening being an off-road bike?

Its not numbness, I'm familiar with that all too well. The feeling I am experiencing is that it vibrates so much that when I get up to highway speed I feel like my hands and feet are not actually gripping the bike but are floating slightly. I found some pads of 5-10mm rubber originally meant to dampen vibration of an external aircon unit and made the handlebar as floppy as it was on the gn250 but to my surprise that didn't make any difference, same with the footpegs.

Maybe I will try bigger jet to get more torque and then lower the gear ratio some more to get it to cruise at sensible rpm.
  18. SpasticCabba4age

SpasticCabba4age n00b

Oddometer:
    I have just read way at the start of this thread that you guys have 16T stock front sprockets? and get 140miles on a tank at the worst?? I seem to have a 14-45 setup and get 120miles at best which may explain a few things haha
  19. Trailrider200

Trailrider200 Long timer

Oddometer:
    thumpers virbrate. I removed the foot peg brackets from the frame and installed some sorbothane https://www.sorbothane.com/ I had and them re-installed everything. greatly reduced foot vibrations. Aluminum handle bars and replacing the rubber shocks for the risers with sorbothane will be next. Putting it btwn the engine and frame mounts is also on my list.
  20. Klay

Klay dreaming adventurer Supporter

Oddometer:
    Do you still have the bar end weights on the handlebar? Makes a big difference.
    SpasticCabba4age likes this.