the DR200 thread

Discussion in 'Thumpers' started by klxrdr, May 13, 2007.

1. motocyco

motocyco Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I've been away from Dual-sport riding for about a decade. A move to adventure riding a couple of years ago moved me back in this direction and I recently purchased a 2019 DR200S to go along with my 2016 DL650XT. I am the second owner of this DR and it only had 90 miles on it when I purchased it. I am working on the break-in and researching what farlkes to add. This thread has been helpful but overwhelming.

Attached Files:

2. motocyco

Oddometer:
    Just measured static suspension sag (not in riding gear), stock springs with rear pre-load maxed (or just about, cannot see any more threads), 2" up front and 3" at the rear. I weigh 195-200 geared up. It was surprising to find that the front seems about right, I'm going to keep running with stock for a while before cutting the springs. The rear could use a little more oomph. Does anybody know a good replacement spring for the shock?

Several years ago someone mentioned the spring from a Virago 500, no other results that I can find. I have several concerns with the Virago spring. First, how worn out is a 35-40 year old spring? It is progressively wound. I can only find the spring on ebay still on the shock, I do not have the tools to remove it from the shock.
  3. Trailrider200

Trailrider200 Long timer

Oddometer:
    that was me with the spring. DR shock spring removal no tool required just unscrew the adjuster. Virago spring, I put it in a vice and used racket straps and large tie wraps to compress and remove the locks. pretty easy to do. springs only wear out from being over compressed from its yield, like when a rubber band is over-strenched. the virago is a single shock canted arrangement, so the tire would bottom out inside the fender before the shock spring would.
    been running it for yrs now, works perfectly I'm about 210 geared up. yes the front springs seem perfect.
    motocyco likes this.
  4. Mr. Fixit

Mr. Fixit Reevaluating

Oddometer:
    After noticing how stinky the exhaust is, I've got a wild hare to try adding a catalyst to my DR200ES. I have a suitable catalyst lying around, so I'm looking for a cheap header pipe to cut up. Can be thoroughly ugly and beat up. Anybody have one or have suggestions on where I might find one? I don't want to spend much at all because there is a distinct possibility that the cat will clog...
  5. DR200 Gold

DR200 Gold n00b

Oddometer:
    Each time I do an oil change I look at the bolt under the bike next to the drain plug and wonder what that one is for, anyone ? Cheers.
  6. mj15

mj15 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Hypercoil makes one that will fit. It's a little longer than the stock one, but will work. picture on p660
    motocyco likes this.
  7. motocyco

Oddometer:
    Apparently my search skills are lacking. Would you provide an item number or link?
  8. Trailrider200

Trailrider200 Long timer

Oddometer:
    so to be on the same page, the drain bolt is the one in the middle of the three bolt flange. behind the flange is a sump screen, if that clogged enough then engine oil could not be drained so the flange cover can be removed to clean the sump screen without dumping oil everywhere.
    So I think that is why the other drain bolt is there. I've tried it one time it will drain the crank case except of course the sump is not drained.
    That's my take on it. I haven't seen anything in the manual about that drain bolt, I even checked a LT230 service manual I have which is a little more detailed on the engine than the DR200 service manual and it is not mentioned.
    DR200 Gold likes this.
  9. DR200 Gold

DR200 Gold n00b

Oddometer:
    Thanks for that, definitely makes sense now. Was a bit of an itch I couldn't scratch.
    Trailrider200 likes this.
  10. mj15

mj15 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    On the DR/DRz125's, which share cases with the DR200, that other plug is the access point to install the neutral position stopper pin. Above the plug, there is a spring and a pointed pin that goes into a detent hole at the neutral position on the shift drum, and provides a means of stopping the rotation of the shift drum between 1st and 2nd gear.

Parts number 19 & 22
    https://www.cheapcycleparts.com/oemparts/a/suz/50d3a7a6f8700220d0b71a5e/gear-shifting
    Trailrider200 and DR200 Gold like this.
  11. mj15

mj15 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Give me a day, or two, and I'll find it for you.
    motocyco likes this.
  12. Trailrider200

Trailrider200 Long timer

Oddometer:

different for the DR200. doesn't have the spring and pin.

https://www.cheapcycleparts.com/oemparts/a/suz/506b31f0f870022ba8af9975/gear-shifting
  13. WorldsOkay'est

WorldsOkay'est Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Deer flies were bad that day. But yeah, pretty much any bug that'll bite lives in that valley LOL

:rofl You know, I've always been intrigued by that address plate and who the hell put it there (and why, there ain't no driveway or house, plus it leads right into a bog). This spot is a ways down an unmaintained road in the middle of a valley. Save for the occasional ATV and DR, not much else but deer and turkey head down that far.

I stopped at the bridge, not for lack of wanting to try, but because I know there isn't anywhere to get turned around past that point that wouldn't end up with myself and the DR buried waist deep in decomposing organic matter. The river that it leads to isn't THAT deep, and could be forded, but based on the ATV tracks across and my knowledge of the other side, not sure I'd make it much further!

Funny enough, I once rescued my sister and her ex boyfriend from that bog many moons ago. After a few libations, he was CERTAIN that the road went all the way through the valley to the other side, and no amount of my insisting about the river and the mud would convince him otherwise. 2hrs after he left, came knocking on my door asking for help getting his Volvo S40 unstuck.... lucky he was with my sister.
    Trailrider200 likes this.
  14. khakidog

khakidog Adventurer

Oddometer:
    IMG_0593.JPG 20210715_104622.jpg Put some new tires on the DR. I was still running the original tires which were 9 years old with 3300 miles on them. I put 3200 of those miles on them in the year I have owned the bike. They still had some tread left but the rubber was pretty hard and they were really skittish in gravel. I have yet to find a simple chart showing equivalent sizes between metric/inch, etc. but I ended up getting 3.00 x 21 Shinko 700 for the front and 4.10 x 18 Dunlop 605 for the rear. The rear is about the same size as stock, the front a little wider. I have about 100 miles on the combo so far. A little more steering effort required on paved roads and a bit louder, but seems more planted in the curves. I ride a lot of hard dirt with loose gravel on top and feel much more secure on that type of surface now. Pretty happy with the tires so far. I think I lost some top end speed though.
  15. BuiltnotBought

BuiltnotBought Perpetual Project

Oddometer:
    Looking for help with a noise. Hoping the collective brain can help me here.

I'm having a issue with my DR, pretty sure its clutch related just not sure how. The main issue seems to be when I try to wring out the throttle, climbing to high speeds, above 80km or so it will seem to slip, almost feels like the rear brake is dragging intermittently. Especially on uphill climbs. No slippage on hard acceleration though. I did pull the clutch pack and check for spec and the discs are close to spec but technically were still within spec, and the plates showed a little wear but nothing catastrophic. Springs measure within spec.

The odd noise that has developed now though is on deceleration. When I am decelerating and downshift then let out the clutch I am hearing a kind of high pitch howl - about like you're putting a weak battery onto a bike horn. Its gives this howl for just a second or two at each downshift. Defiantly coming from the engine, just not sure if it would be more than just clutch plates slipping.

Looking for any input on what it might be, I want to get all the bugs worked out of this bike soon so I can take it on some more adventurous trips this summer yet. Not comfortable doing that with this issue.
  16. mj15

mj15 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Nothing specific from experience, but did you set the clearance on the clutch push rod adjustment when you had the clutch cover off? It's the set screw in the center of the clutch hub. It needs 1/4 turn of slack. Without that clearance, and proper cable slack, you could be getting a slight amount of disengagement when it heats up
  17. Sposcotty

Sposcotty Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Hi All. New to this site. Have a few different bikes.
    So Im in a few of these forums.. Purchased a 2021 DR200s back in October.
    No real questions yet. I bought the DR200s because I like the DR 650 se which I also have.
    I would be able to tell you the differences if asked. Some anyway lol
    Stubanger and Trailrider200 like this.
  18. Sposcotty

Sposcotty Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Dr 200s

Attached Files:

Stubanger likes this.
  19. Sposcotty

Sposcotty Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Dr 650 se F17B81CE-1EBF-4FC9-9096-248747D00A5E.jpeg
    Klay likes this.
  20. BuiltnotBought

BuiltnotBought Perpetual Project

Oddometer:
    Thanks for this.
    Cable slack is fine, I don't think there is an issue there. I have never adjusted clearance on the clutch pushrod though, frankly never had that as an issue on any of my bikes before. I assume proceedure for this is in the service manual? I will have to do some investigating on this, could save the day - thanks!