the DR200 thread

Discussion in 'Thumpers' started by klxrdr, May 13, 2007.

1. mj15

mj15 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Yes, it should be in the manual. Lightly seated, then back off 1/4 turn. If tight, which will happen as the plates wear, it acts the same as if you have no cable slack.
  2. BuiltnotBought

BuiltnotBought Perpetual Project

Oddometer:
    Good chance it was not done correct. This bike has been one of those where I have continually found things the previous owner did and wondered ...what the heck?? When I first got it it ran like shite because he had a needle from a DR650 in the carb:confused
  3. Trailrider200

Trailrider200 Long timer

Oddometer:
    I followed the manual and this vid.
  4. mj15

mj15 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    DC304859-C56D-4694-B964-23F33C8A86AA.jpeg
    BuiltnotBought likes this.
  5. Sposcotty

Sposcotty Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Helpful info about the 1/4. turn. ty
    mj15 likes this.
  6. Jimr80gs

Jimr80gs Been here awhile

Oddometer:
  7. BuiltnotBought

Oddometer:
    Thanks tried this on the weekend and it did make a big difference, no more slipping of the clutch at high speeds. Thanks for the tips. Took it out for a rip in the afternoon and had a blast exploring some local atv trails!

Still having the high pitched buzz or hum though when I cut the throttle to decelerate or downshift. Only lasts a few seconds. It sounds like its coming from the left casing, either the flywheel or countershaft maybe? Hoping its not a bearing. I was in there a while ago working on the starting clutch and the noise did start after that, but I can't think of what I might have done that would messed anything up, but its worth checking.
  8. Jodaddy

Jodaddy Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Not DR specific but Maybe pop off the front sprocket cover and see if something weird found a home in there. Unloaded chains can make some crazy noises especially if you have an aluminum skid plate.
  9. mj15

mj15 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Glad it helped. Was there slack in the set screw, or was it tight? Maybe the one way clutch is hanging up, spinning the starter, and causing the noise?
  10. BuiltnotBought

Oddometer:
    I thought about that and will check, I would kind of expect the noise constantly under decel rather than just for a few seconds, but it could be chain related. Its really hard to (safely) get your head down low enough to pinpoint the sound while your riding, but it does sound more forward than that.
  11. BuiltnotBought

Oddometer:
    It was hard to tell if there was slack in the screw honestly, the screw was such a small one and the nut on so tight I actually had to take the clutch center hub off and remove the whole piece so I could get a wrench on the square clutch release plate and one on the nut to break it free. I just backed it right off then started from scratch.

I was thinking along the same lines as you about the starter clutch maybe hanging up with the starter, because it does sound like that kind of "whine", but not sure it jives with the sound lasting only a few seconds then subsiding. I'm going to have to report back once I look in there.
  12. BuiltnotBought

Oddometer:
  13. BGoodiE

BGoodiE n00b

Oddometer:
    108CBCEC-51FB-4FD7-9099-4199A9853D85.jpeg Ohhhhh how sweet it is. First bike ever. Found a decent deal on it with under 2k miles. I’ve been riding quads for the longest time and always wanted a bike.
    I quickly stumbled upon this page while researching and fellow inmates, I tried to start at page 1 and I did. But only made it to page 20 something before skipping ahead, back to the future.
    Love to find a forum dedicated to perhaps the greatest thing on 2 wheels.
    I have a big field behind my hiuse to learn on end I’ve already got 67 miles rippin up and down. Maiden voyage up our cabin this weekend to rip fire roads. I feel like a kid at Christmas, but way better! Being a big kid now I can buy what I want and use it when time allows. I’ll take the trade off. Cheers to this place and all the places I hope to see on top of this beaut! D261E428-000B-4237-8E2C-DD81293AFCCC.jpeg
  14. NJ-Brett

NJ-Brett Brett

Oddometer:
    Small light bikes rock!
    Trailrider200 and Klay like this.
  15. DanBManthe

DanBManthe Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Congrats on the bike! Glad you're enjoying it! They really are sweet little bikes!

I'm looking for a little help my (wifes) DR.

I picked it up last fall. Pretty good deal, good shape, '05, roughly 5k on her. Through a series of unfortunate and dumb circumstances my wife has managed to put about 50 miles on since her birthday in early December. 40 of those were on one ride. The other 10 were split between two rides that both ended in the bike stalling and refusing to start again. The thing that confuses me is that nothing changed between these rides except the weather.

The DR is completely stock even down to the air filter. It's not the original, just an oem replacement. Most recently my wife and I went out and we made it about miles before the bike died. According to my wife the bike shuddered and it wouldn't respond to throttle inputs. We pulled over and I started going through the checklist.

We had battery power, we opened the bowl drain and got fuel right away. We pulled the plug and got spark although it's difficult to say how strong as it was very sunny. The plug was black but not wet. More on this later. I was not able to keep my finger over the spark plug hole when cranking so that leads me to believe there's enough compression although I have not put a tester on it yet to verify how much compression.

The carb is clean. Jets are absolutely clean. The carburetor has been run through my sonic cleaner multiple times and blown out with compressed air. Diaphragm is in good shape and the slide moves freely. I replaced the vacuum petcock with a manual one and plugged the vacuum port on the carb. The tank is clean and rust free. The petcock straw filters are clean.

Typically at my elevation the lean stock jets tend to work fairly well as there is not much air at 5,000 feet of elevation. Although that's not to say there couldn't be improvement. We're not there. As for the plug it's definitely black, blacker than I'd like it to be seeing as how it has less than 100 miles on the plug but like I said it wasn't wet when we pulled the plug on the side of the road. I think it's running excessively rich but I'm also wondering if there are any known problems with these bikes?
  16. Jodaddy

Jodaddy Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Carb vents clear? Valve adjust lately?any chance you took off the gas cap when it wouldn’t fire?
  17. DanBManthe

DanBManthe Adventurer

Oddometer:
    90% the carb vent is clear but not guaranteed. We did pop the gas cap to check the level of fuel but I also didn't think to listen for vacuum. I can look into both of these tomorrow.

I don't know where the valves are at adjustment wise. When I bought it I rode it around a bit checking that everything was functioning. And it was. Last December. Before the 3 hour trip home in the back of the truck. I'd hope with 5k we'd be within the first valve adjustment window.

Funny story, a lot of gas made its' way into the crankcase on that trip. And no, I haven't put a carb kit in it yet but tomorrow I'll be buying a needle and seat. The needle looks brand new though
  18. mj15

mj15 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    The fuel in the crankcase is from a faulty petcock, which is well documented on this thread. If you get a chance get a new pilot jet too, as even a little corrosion on the inside of an old one can cause running problems. Just a few thousandths of an inch of crust in a pilot jet will reduce it's effective size by a couple of sizes. Even if it looks clean, this can be the case.
  19. dbmanthe

dbmanthe Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Didn't think the pilot was replaceable on this carb. Will definitely look into it.

The well documented issues with vacuum petcocks are exactly why I replaced that sucker. Then my wife left the fuel on for a while, dunno how long it was. But man I wish those things were more reliable.

Working on it now, was debating putting a little air into the petcock and listening for pressure to escape through the gas cap vents. Just little air. But I don't know if the venting system will only let air in and not gas out or if it's designed to let the tank 'breathe' as it warms and cools throughout the day. I also have a very crappy hand vacuum pump that I'll try first. I did drain the tank.

I thought I would get the tests done on the tank before the valves since, well, it's already there. And check the carb vent. That's easy.

Also, how far out should the pilot screw be set? Trying the easy stuff first.

Thanks for the replies
  20. DanBManthe

DanBManthe Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Still unsure of what is going on with this DR200SE.

I applied a small amount of pressure to the fuel hose going to the carb( from the carb side, going towards the tank) just enough to hear air escaping through the cap. Cap vents are clear.

Carb vent hose is clear, applied small amount of air to the carb vent with the fuel hose off and got air coming from fuel inlet.

Plenty of gas in the tank. Plenty of gas getting to the carb, petcock seems to be working. Filled and drained the bowl a couple times.

Checked the jets and the pilot was indeed clogged so I threw it in the sonic cleaner and ran cleaner through it. Also blew some compressed air though it and was able to see through it. Reinstalled it and with some effort was able to start it but it wouldn't idle very well. Main jet is clean.

Checked fuel level and it was high so I adjusted the float to bring it down a bit since it the bike was blowing a bit of black smoke out of the exhaust. Probably adjusted it 0.5 mm. Didn't measure the float height yet but will do that hopefully tomorrow after work.

Still doesn't want to idle. To get something resembling an idle the idle stop screw is screwed almost all the way in. The exhaust is almost grey now but you can barely discern any color. You literally have to look into the end of the muffler to see any color in the exhaust as there's no cloud of exhaust or anything.

Still have to clean the pilot jet more?