The DR650 Highway Touring Thread

Discussion in 'Thumpers' started by planemanx15, Mar 25, 2011.

1. drdubb

drdubb OFWG Supporter

Oddometer:
    Yes to the cogent shock. I used a Seat Concepts cover on the saddle and could go all day. However, sure seems small for all day two up and then theres the issue of luggage.
  2. NicorAdv

NicorAdv Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Actually you both would be a lot happier if you each had a DR.
    Just my 2 bits worth.
    x32792 likes this.
  3. Riteris

Riteris Dessert Runner

Oddometer:
    A place many ADV Riders fear: The Nation's Capital
    What are the specs for the frame on this bike? I would suspect with a loaded bike, you might be pushing the frame's capabilities, beyond what a better suspension could provide.

Also, is the horsepower really going to give you what you need?
  4. drdubb

drdubb OFWG Supporter

Oddometer:
    By the time you put in a shock, springs front and rear you are a third to halfway to the cost of another good used motorcycle. If she wont ride, maybe the answer is another bike better for two up. Do check that gross vehicle weight. Gives you max load. The bike is 364 wet. I sold mine or I would go to the garage and check.
  5. TinMan207

TinMan207 Most often a lurker... Supporter

Oddometer:
    The Internet suggests that the GVWR is 770lbs. Minus 324 for the bike you have like 500lbs for riders and gear. . Properly distributed. .

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G891A using Tapatalk
  6. pne

pne Long timer

Oddometer:
    she can't ride, so I'm thinking maybe something along the lines of a Vstrom 650 would be a bit better for 2up?
    kezzajohnson likes this.
  7. drdubb

drdubb OFWG Supporter

Oddometer:
    Take her to a suzuki dealer and sit on one. The Strom is a fine motorcycle.
  8. Riteris

Riteris Dessert Runner

Oddometer:

Better for two up by leaps and bounds.
  9. DayTripper85

DayTripper85 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    3-2-1-Clear. Beeeeep. Reviving this.

Howdy tourers. When I got my bike it had about 11,000 miles on it with a Corbin seat. I have since put about 4,000miles on it. I can easily do 7-10 hour days in the saddle but my butt gets really sore the second and third days during long trips. Is it possible that my seat is worn out? The guy I bought if from was my size and had it garage kept.

Just yesterday I put the stock seat on it, besides it having hard corners and being soft it actually is a bit more comfortable short distance that my Corbin is. I haven't taken the stock seat on an all day but I will do that tomorrow.

I have a 4000mile trip coming up in a Month and want to get my seat sorted before I get to it. If the seat is worn out, then I'll get a pro cycle. Let me know if there is anything I can do to revive my Corbin. Thanks!
  10. Rob.G

Rob.G Mostly Harmless

Oddometer:
    I have a Corbin for my V-Strom and it's kinda the same way. It's a bit on the firm side, even after four years. It's a nice seat for sure, but it's not an all-day-everyday seat like the Bill Mayer seat I have on my DR650.

IMO if you have the time and money, send off your stock seat to either Bill Mayer, Rick Mayer (two different companies) or Russell and have a custom one made. They're all way better than anything else.
  11. DayTripper85

DayTripper85 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Thanks, yeah I'm cutting it close to have a custom made up. I have a sheep skin from AlaskaLeather that I will use on the trip. When I return from my trip I'll probably send it off to Bill. I really like this bike so when I buy another I can just keep my custom seat I have made for it.
  12. fbritt5

fbritt5 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Hi. I have a seat from Don Weber in Albany, Oregon. The longest I've gone is 450 miles in one day. My butt was no worse than if I drove in a car. I have a DR and they vibrate a lot. Without a good seat, you're not going to go too far in a day. On the stock seat, i could do 40 or so miles and I'd have to stop for a few hours to get the feeling back. Before the good Weber seat, I'd wear cyclist shorts and that helped. I've heard some use good bond too. That's probably a good idea for any long trip. Sargent is the second most popular and comfortable seat, after my custom Weber seat. Most who have the.love them. Its also a better two up seat than my custom seat. The main thing with a seat, is that it needs to support your entire butt width. Typically guys with narrow butts do fine on stock 2X4 Suzuki seats. Of course, some of that is because if you have a narrow butt, you probably don't weigh as much as some of us more mature wider assed riders. I have a sergeant seat as well and it doesn't get hard and would be fine on a longer trip. My buddy has a Fisher set up from Idaho and I have a hard time keeping up with him. He is also 35 lbs lighter than me. We just did a 1200 mile 4 day trip with no one complained about their butts. We did hear a few chirps from our BMW rider but nothing out of the DR riders. That's all. Good luck.
  13. AST236

AST236 Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    Just having a coffee and about to start my work day.

Figured I'd wake this thing up, as I'm thinking about some longer trips as the weather cools...........:)
    Three Crates and KiloGraham like this.
  14. AST236

Oddometer:
    Sitting in my den watching the NASCAR race from Richmond and realize the my last post in October of 2017 was the last post here.

Sad.

Just put a TM40 on mine and am liking it so far.

Tomorrow morning, I'm planning to replace the rear fender/light assembly with a brand new fender and the ProCycle rear end clean up parts (smaller brake/tail light and simple tag mount).

The FJR sits and collects dust, but the DR gets love...........:)
    Three Crates likes this.
  15. Riteris

Riteris Dessert Runner

Oddometer:
    I do not know which is sadder: watching NASCAR or not posting since October 2017.
  16. AST236

Oddometer:
    NASCAR has it's merits and my comment was on the fact that this thread hasn't moved since that time.

I was hoping to generate some new interest now that it's warming up.
  17. drdubb

drdubb OFWG Supporter

Oddometer:
    Somebody take a trip.MABDR?
  18. AST236

Oddometer:
    Almost end of the year bump.

Still riding my DR. Cogent suspension, Seat Concepts seat, TM40, Wolfman racks, Expedition bags and Enduro tank bag.

Oh, and the fast purple frame..........:)
  19. NCJ

NCJ Long timer

Oddometer:
    So what's your take on the Seat Concepts seat? About to pull the trigger on a seat and have it narrowed down to that or a Sargent; I saw the SC getting a lot of love over on Krusty's index thread.
  20. AST236

Oddometer:
    I love mine. Miles ahead of the stock seat and not heavy like a Corbin. No experience with others, but I'd buy it again...............