The DR650 Highway Touring Thread

Discussion in 'Thumpers' started by planemanx15, Mar 25, 2011.

1. davenowherejones

davenowherejones short old guy

Oddometer:
    I bought a Seat Concepts stepped low seat for my DR650. The step was in the wrong place. A plain flat seat would have been better.
    NCJ likes this.
  2. NCJ

NCJ Long timer

Oddometer:
    Thanks!
  3. Lee Dodge

Lee Dodge Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer:
    I had a seat concepts and a sargent. Seat concepts has crown to it, Sargent is flat or very slightly dished. Seat Concepts foam is soft and springy while the Sargent is firm, not Corbin firm but still pretty firm. The Sargent low seat puts you at about the same height as the stock seat. The regular raises you up because you don't sink down into the foam. I did not like the Seat Concepts because the crowned shape pressed on my tailbone and the springy foam gave me a disconnected feel from the bike. I had a Corbin for a short time but it was built for a much taller rider so I sold it after one or two rides. I know it was heavy and the foam was hard.
  4. NCJ

NCJ Long timer

Oddometer:
    Went with the seat concepts, so I'll know before much longer. Did a low build on the suspension, so overall height shouldn't be an issue. If nothing else, there may be a sheepskin in my future as well. Big fun.
    AST236 likes this.
  5. napster

napster Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    not much going on on this thread so I guess I will chime in. Rode a DR for years and really enjoyed it as a 'back roads' tourer. then I bought a strom and DR sat for years. then I upgraded to a new DR and now strom is sitting. my new '18 DR has Sargent seat, IMS tank, GPR damper, givi E21s, 14 tooth sprocket and a few other little things. have a Motech centerstand but I may not install it. I ride back roads and easy dirt/gravel. have ordered a mosfet regulator. I've tried a few windshields and have given up in that department. All they do is add noisy turbulence. No shield is nice smooth air. I ride with earplugs but see no advantage to shields anymore. my old '80s BMW rt bikes with wind tunnel designed fairings one could smoke behind them. cheers.
    fbritt5, x32792 and shu like this.
  6. fbritt5

fbritt5 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    A good windscreen helps for bugs, rain and on longer trips, it helps that the wind isnt beating you up. The can make noise but if set up right, not so bad.
  7. Sonny S.

Sonny S. Long timer

Oddometer:
    +1
    On my DR's and one of my Harley's no windshield. Been behind a few windshiels on DR's didn't like em. I did notice that the headlight cowl on my 01 provided cleaner air and up higher than my 07. The later cowl is sleek and modern but a poor design. I put an early cowl on my 07, much better. Taken many long trips on motorcycls without a windshield. I either want all the air or very little like on my Ultra Classic. More importantly I don't want the noise or buffeting.
    I usually ride with an open faced helmet and ear plugs. Long trips I'll wear a full face and that helps in the cold and rain. No windshield does mean more layers and wind blocking layers on my chest when it's cold. However, when it's hot... man the air flow through my mesh jacket is awesome.
    JRowland likes this.
  8. ag_streak

ag_streak Tiene Ruta Cuarenta? Supporter

Oddometer:
    wilfred, Sonny S. and JRowland like this.
  9. Sonny S.

Sonny S. Long timer

Oddometer:
    Looks good !
    I think the little side wings play a huge part. I've ridden other motorcycles where someone thought they needed a taller windshield, I would start moving my hand around to see where the wind was coming from. Often it was from the sides down low. An inch extra width on each side made a huge difference. The thing about motorcycle windshields is you should always be looking over them and not through them.
    Even though I don't like them and don't have one on my DR's my experience comes from working on motorcycles for people and helping troubleshoot comfort complaints. Bars, seats, pegs, etc.
  10. napster

napster Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    20200126_160742.jpg 20200126_160754.jpg here is my windshield. I tried a few positions but the racket wouldn't go away. It's back on the shelf.
  11. shu

shu ...

Oddometer:
    As long as your head is not being buffeted by wind eddies, your shield is good.

Earplugs take care of any other wind noise.

.............shu
    Sonny S. likes this.
  12. Bud Dog

Bud Dog Adventurer

Oddometer:
    This works pretty good for me. Rear fender off of a 96 KTM 620. EA4E392D-E6B3-421C-844E-BA081F97A56D.jpeg
    JS_999, wilfred, JRowland and 2 others like this.
  13. napster

napster Been here awhile

Oddometer:
  14. Ohio_Danimal

Ohio_Danimal If I die trying, at least I tried Supporter

Oddometer:
    4F230866-CD8C-4D9E-BA6D-4C0CA80F4488.jpeg Brilliant wind management. All day comfy. FA0A3351-1A46-4F34-AC38-07BB49A6C941.jpeg
    wilfred, shu and JRowland like this.
  15. SR56

SR56 Long timer

Oddometer:
    Has anybody tried the Yenkro frame mounted fairing?

If yes, what tank did you use?

Looking for my DR now and researching ideas for a frame mounted wind screen.

Thanks
  16. freewheelin'

freewheelin' Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer:
    I used the safari big tank. I really like the combo.
  17. Ohio_Danimal

Ohio_Danimal If I die trying, at least I tried Supporter

Oddometer:
    F93DB11F-02E1-45E8-9378-3FC844C9A363.jpeg FFD4CC2D-7649-4FCD-9443-449537C0B44C.jpeg 295E2BD4-B7A9-4404-8AA0-1DC15C0A1719.jpeg
    My pictures in the post directly before yours is my DR with a Yenkro.
    Here are a few more. Transforms the bike. Safari tank’s width adds to the “bubble”