the DR650 thread

Discussion in 'Thumpers' started by sleepywombat, May 1, 2006.

1. ADV8

ADV8 Long timer

Oddometer:
    Thanks for the quick answer, I will order one, the old one is somewhere unknown...... Looks like it is back to Norton's until I get that plug.
  2. Mongle

Mongle Knuckle dragger

Oddometer:
    Nope, it has a lip that lays in the groove at the end of the camshaft.

Never used Stag, what is it like? RTV, form a gasket, or something else?

Am I the only one that feels they go in upside down from what they should? Can't remember if it was the writing or taper built into the lip but I stared at it a while.
  3. ADV8

ADV8 Long timer

Oddometer:

I could machine a plastic plug with a lip and a couple of thousands clearance I guess.

The STAG brand is British and been around for a long time, you put a very thin layer on each part, wait until it is tacky then put the joint together..... Oil and petrol resilient, out of the tube it is a sticky runny brown goo but lasts longer than nuclear fall out.

As far as copper head gaskets , I used VHT copper gasket cement for the 780 gasket but Pliobond is popular in the BritBike community.
    simestd, ruff and Mongle like this.
  4. procycle

procycle Long timer

Oddometer:
    Center of the DualSport Adventure universe
    On the inside the plug is open for about 1/3 of the circumference. I believe it is that way to catch oil splash from the cam chain and feed it to the right hand cam bearing. When you install it open side up the numbers on the outside are upside down.
    Mongle likes this.
  5. tobiism

tobiism Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Just waiting on my black oxide 1/4x20 set screws to get here so I can screw them in the threaded holes around the perimeter.
    20190619_190418.jpg 20190619_190421.jpg 20190619_190428.jpg 20190619_191130.jpg
  6. JagLite

JagLite Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    What ....??? :yikes

They shrank! :dirtdog

Yesterday you had a nice set of footboards and today you have foot pegs not much bigger than stock :scratch
  7. tobiism

tobiism Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I wasn't happy with them. They were a little too big and the hole spacing was all over the place
    JagLite likes this.
  8. procycle

procycle Long timer

Oddometer:
    Center of the DualSport Adventure universe
    Probably OK for the Arizona desert but anywhere else you'd want generous holes or cutouts in the pegs to get the mud clear.
  9. drmiller100

drmiller100 Long timer

Oddometer:
    She is a cutie. VERY married. Very professional. That was long ago.....
  10. tobiism

tobiism Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Extra holes are still a possibility
    wee-twin and procycle like this.
  11. NC Rick

NC Rick Cogent Dynamics Inc

Oddometer:
    One of my OCD mental problems are that I cannot use SAE (antique) fasteners on anything that is all Metric. It is hard for me to look at your otherwise nicely executed project. M6x1 would have been a better choice from my viewpoint. You could go the other way and add some Whitworth stuff to keep with the theme and allow you to carry more cool tools.
  12. Schmokel

Schmokel Key to Happiness: Low Expectations

Oddometer:
    Sold the FZ. Back to one bike again.
  13. Redfish Hunter

Redfish Hunter Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    It's kind of strange that the DR would be the bike many of us seem to keep while we gradually swap out so many others. Considering that the DR is a sort of compromise bike but the other bikes we go through are often more specialized and in their own way more useful for their specific purpose, it doesn't make complete sense to me.

I know that I commute to work on my DR more and more while my FJR is collecting more dust. The BMW hardly ever moves nowadays.
  14. Schmokel

Oddometer:
    So I've been eyeing out a V-Strom for some time now. Something that I can hit up a highway for longer distance travelling. Last night I offered to deliver the FZ out of state. About 4h of driving (at normal speeds) round trip. Kid took my offer. I haven't driven the freeway in months. So I'm driving down and people are doing 90mph. Its insane. I felt nervous in my 3/4T truck with the bike in the bed, nevermind being on a bike. I get back home and think, there's no way I'd want to do freeways for more than a couple exits; even on a liter bike. 50mph roads are the fastest roads I'd feel comfortable on. I'm almost thinking prep the DR for more 50/50 travel, maybe get some quality boingers, D605 tires, and perhaps a TM40. Perhaps get a 250 for more localish bombing around, or if the DR is down waiting on parts for something.
    JagLite and NC Rick like this.
  15. sandwash

sandwash Long timer

Oddometer:
    Years ago at the end of 91 (Torrance/Compton) some guy did a stand up doing about 60.You could tell he was up to something as he kept looking around,surprisingly not very many cars around.Crazy.
  16. jeepgeek2002

jeepgeek2002 Long timer

Oddometer:
    i once had a dream i was doing wheelies...
  17. Redfish Hunter

Redfish Hunter Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    I have never stopped eyeing the V-Strom. I especially like the newest version(s).

My FJR is pretty fast, it is relaxed and stable at interstate speeds but I seldom ride interstates. It's just not fun for me. I like to see the world as I go past.

Sadly, I keep wondering how I would feel about trading my FJR for a Super Tenere. But I am still content with the DR650.
    RedEX, NC Rick and JagLite like this.
  18. Schmokel

Oddometer:
    ~25,000 miles. Still can't wheelie. The front will come up, and that's about it. I'm fine with that though. :D
    BergDonk and yehaaa6 like this.
  19. Schmokel

Oddometer:
    FJR has been on the list too. But I think it'd be too fat for some of the smaller roads I ride. After last night keeping up with traffic in my truck at speeds of 90, even 95mph, I'm fine with missing all that noise on a bike. A tall 250 I think would be a fun ride. My first bike was an XL250 and I loved that thing.
    NC Rick and JagLite like this.
  20. drmiller100

drmiller100 Long timer

Oddometer:
    get the bike warm. go on a flat parking lot paved surface. get it rolling, put it in second gear, let the clutch out, let the bike idle. does it putt around for the next 3 minutes perfectly happy? if you grab the throttle, does it take off and go without chugging or bucking?

also, the high compressino pision is an OUNCE lighter than the stock piston and raises compression almost 2 points. so, from 8.5 to 1 up to 10.5 to 1.

so, it pulls better on the bottom end and vibrates less on the top end. theory says better mileage and more power throughout the engine RPM.

You MUST MUST MUST use 91 or better octane gas ALWAYS however.
    cogitech likes this.