the DR650 thread

Discussion in 'Thumpers' started by sleepywombat, May 1, 2006.

1. TwoTrackMind

TwoTrackMind Long Way Round Here

Oddometer:
    I missed Nueskes. Next time!
  2. psmcd

psmcd Long timer

Oddometer:
    :y0!Does that make me one of the Cogentry?
  3. NC Rick

NC Rick Cogent Dynamics Inc

Oddometer:
    Russ, you’re such a tire snob! :-) Are you running those on the KTM too?
  4. NC Rick

Oddometer:
    We spent a couple days in Grand Rapids and sampled the beer since the city is often mentioned together with Asheville and Portland in beer speak. I have to say that we were greatly impressed. Will do that again.
    TwoTrackMind and Nogoodnamesleft like this.
  5. dcwilcox

dcwilcox Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    All this chatter about the Shinko 244 and I thought we had 'decided' a long time ago on the Kenda 270 (over the Shinko 244) paired with the IRC TR8 for the all-around budget tire set-up. :deal

Ok, just messing around . . . continue to chatter about tires, oil, ear plugs, and billet all you like!
    TrophyHunter and Fishnbiker like this.
  6. psmcd

psmcd Long timer

Oddometer:
    I was a fan of my one IRC GP1 but the casing is so thin the bead breaks immediately with a flat. Right now I have 2 new 244s to test knobs. Past 3 have been fine.
    yehaaa6, KiloGraham, thump! and 3 others like this.
  7. Nogoodnamesleft

Nogoodnamesleft Long timer

Oddometer:
    i've never seen @NC Rick be nothing but helpful, courteous and polite to anyone coming here for advice..
    so if the shoe fits.. :thumb

of course he prefers 790 shoes now, but i won't hold that against him.. :lol3
    some of us are quite happy in our 650 sandals.. or thats what we tell ourselves.. :D
    psmcd, kbuckey, NC Rick and 1 other person like this.
  8. JagLite

JagLite Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    Seeing the missing knobs on the Shinko 244 is eye opening. :yikes
    I've run a couple and never had that happen so I like the tire. :hide

The way those knobs came off looks like an obvious manufacture defect, has anyone contacted Shinko to find out what they say about it? :hmmmmm

Under pressure, over pressure, running flat, overheating, unbalanced, high speed, nothing a rider could do to mistreat a tire would do that it seems to me. :scratch

I am not a tire expert (obviously, duh!:doh) but a tire chunking every other knob? :dirtdog

I can understand the accelerated wear of every other knob on pavement with heavy braking and/or lots of accelerating as the tire loads a knob then hops (minutely) to put much less weight on the next knob before weighting the knob after the middle "skip" knob.

I can also understand a manufacturer not being willing to replace every bad tire because that costs money and it seems the way of the world is to deny any responsibility for anything. We vote with our money by spending it on things that work as intended, and don't on things that are defective.

I have a Shinko 705 on the rear currently and I am quite happy with it on pavement and general dirt roads and trails.
    I like the ability to break the rear end loose on dirt and I can use my tire as an excuse to turn around when I run into mud or deep sand.

I would contact Shinko with pictures if a tire I used shed knobs like those shown!
    Totally unacceptable. :dirtdog
  9. tobiism

tobiism Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Stuuuuuuuuuupid RMZ450 forks dive like 6" under hard braking. They are coming off.
    JagLite, yehaaa6 and procycle like this.
  10. TrophyHunter

TrophyHunter Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    As has been mentioned before, suspension needs to be sprung and valved for your mission. Just cuz they came off an RMZ, doesn't make them a panacea. Whether it's the stock DR forks or something else, they work better tailored to you.

Maybe give 'em some love and leave 'em? You've put some serious work into getting that bike together, so maybe make adjustments where needed. Hate to see ya toss 'em after all that.

I didn't ever think about suspension until I bottomed out DR1's forks pretty regularly. I still know very little but do know making it right, makes it right.

Couple of head scratcher pics from when I did the RT Gold Valve on DR1. Building the shim stacks.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]
    JagLite, ER70S-2, psmcd and 4 others like this.
  11. Anthiron

Anthiron Hell hath no fury like a womans scorn for Sega

Oddometer:
    While the topic is on faulty tyres I'll share a story about my (and a lot of others) rear of choice, D606.

On the last trip I noticed a pronounced pulse in my rear brake somewhere near Katoomba.
    The other guys I was riding with said it looked like I had a small buckle in the rear wheel when they were riding behind me.

I didn't think enough of it at the time, nothing looked obviously wrong and I assumed the "buckle" was the correct diagnosis considering the riding this bike had been through.
    After we rode the Putty rode, somewhere near Muswellbrook we stopped for fuel and I noticed a side knob starting to chunk out and a bit of a lump like a band was separating.

Babied it all the way to Tamworth and got a new 606 fitted. There were cracks everywhere in the tyre. Something I had never seen before on a 606.
    I wish I had thought to get pictures. It was only around 3500kms old and less than 6 months or so being fitted to the bike.

What do you know, no more pulsing and no more "buckle".

Still my rear of choice but I suspect this one had a manufacturing problem that showed its face after a few thousand kms.
  12. duckslider

duckslider unintentionaldrifter

Oddometer:
    New 525 chain,14t front sprocket and 42t back.Changed from 16t front,43t back.
    Well happy.:-)
  13. Copracer288

Copracer288 How hard can it be?

Oddometer:
    I find it very curious why so many people like the D606 for a rear tire but no one (other than me :dunno) seems to like it for the front. The MT21 is a popular front tire choice. I’ve used that too and find it very similar to the D606.
    JagLite and chethro like this.
  14. FirstPath

FirstPath Long timer

Oddometer:
    I liked it as a front on my Super Ten (e-07 rear). Got about 30 miles on a new combo on the DR. Once the scuffing is done I’ll have a better idea of how I like them as a set.
    JagLite likes this.
  15. NC Rick

Oddometer:
    A persons feet tend to get larger as they get older. :-)
  16. OdinTheWise

OdinTheWise Adventurer

Oddometer:
    so the mt21 came on the rear of my bike when i bought it. its a great tire and has decent pavement performance. i got about 2k miles on it before i switched to an e-07. it had some perelli scorpion tire on it that was utter shit on the road
    JagLite likes this.
  17. Redfish Hunter

Redfish Hunter Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer:
    And you know what they say about a man with Big Feet?

He has to buy Big Boots.

:mulie
    JagLite and NC Rick like this.
  18. thump!

thump! Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Ok, I join the tire fray. IMO Never EVER run a K270 aggressively on pavement:muutt I've run several 244s without incident other than the noise. Currently have a Dunlop 605 on deck awaiting installation while burning up a free TKC80 on my 18" wheel.
    JagLite, ER70S-2 and KiloGraham like this.
  19. Fishnbiker

Fishnbiker Tire smuddy, hook swet

Oddometer:
    Campbell River, Vancouver Island, BC, Canada
    I use D606 both ends. Some complain of sliding on the front, I just lean forward more to put more weight over it..
    JagLite likes this.
  20. Fishnbiker

Fishnbiker Tire smuddy, hook swet

Oddometer:
    Campbell River, Vancouver Island, BC, Canada
    And the 790 kit is like an Orthotic insert, way more comfy & smoother going.
    JagLite, Lil' Steve and NC Rick like this.