the DR650 thread

Discussion in 'Thumpers' started by sleepywombat, May 1, 2006.

1. cyberdos

cyberdos Easy Bonus Loop ♦♦

Oddometer:
    I used earbuds for many years prior to switching over to in-helmet speakers. What worked for me so that they didn't pop out was to loop the cord up and over the back of the ears and then plug them in. That way, when the helmet presses against your ears it holds the cord and prevents the earbuds from popping out if you accidentally tug at it or the wind catches the cord. My favorite earbuds were Ink'd Skullcandy which can still be found for 8 bucks at Ross.

[​IMG]

They sound better than any helmet speakers but obviously are not as simple to use as in-helmet speakers/bluetooth and after a few straight hours of riding they tend to hurt my ear canals.
    yehaaa6 likes this.
  2. TrophyHunter

TrophyHunter Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    I couldn't make much sense of it either, but didn't spend a lot of time on it as I was going to bypass it anyway. Consider the bypass mentioned but let us know how the switch goes back in if you get it.
    Bombadier36 likes this.
  3. AlH

AlH Long timer

Oddometer:
    OR destroyed another sleeping bag.....
  4. TrophyHunter

TrophyHunter Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    I remember when Lockheed Missiles & Space bought my Dad and other engineers one of the first calculators. Something you could get at Target now for $49 was $400 in '71/'72 money. He came home with it in a ruggedized case and opened it like it was buried treasure.
  5. Schmokel

Schmokel Long timer

Oddometer:
    20190823_172340.jpg
  6. BergDonk

BergDonk Old Enough to Know Better

Oddometer:
    WARNING; Old fart reminiscing!

Boy did I lust over an HP35 back then. My grandfather came out from Holland for a visit back in 1973 and asked if there was a present he could bring. Coming via Singapore where things were cheap, I asked for an HP calculator. What arrived was next to useless for me, a hand held calculator with a battery life of about 10 mins and a preset switch for decimals, none, or two places. It had four functions, +. -, x and /. I kept using the slide rule, but it was occasionally useful for sanity checking precision. He did try though.

I still have my HP41C with card reader, a wonderful device. Reverse Polish Notation, or RPN, still makes so much sense! https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Reverse_Polish_notation

[​IMG]

Not my pic. I used to have the printer too.

One of its quirks is programmable keys with a keyboard overlay. If it was being shared about the office, I'd do things like program the + key as Off. Made for some fun times till they woke up to my tricks. With the card reader, you could store programs, so you could have far more programs than the memory could handle at one time. I wrote lots of code for the 41, which latterly morphed into PCs in Fortran and then VBA.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/HP-41C
  7. Bombadier36

Bombadier36 Adventurer

Oddometer:

Thanks! I tried working it back in but after some frustration went with the bypass. Just got back from a 15 minute ride and all is good!!!
  8. cyberdos

cyberdos Easy Bonus Loop ♦♦

Oddometer:
  9. Chethro

Chethro Confidence is High

Oddometer:
    RPN is the only way to go!

HP-28S used throughout college & HP49G was used when I was running the fab shop for the company I work for.

IMG_5180.JPG

When my father passed away I found this in his old green machinist chest tool box. I still have both. Even the instructions are still in the box.

IMG_5181.JPG
  10. Nogoodnamesleft

Nogoodnamesleft Long timer

Oddometer:
    Yep.
    Head hurting..

But I don't see a USB port to charge it.
    Is that one of those fancy new wireless charging computer sticks.. :D
    JagLite likes this.
  11. Copracer288

Copracer288 How hard can it be?

Oddometer:
    Hearing loss is definitely no joke. One of my favorite things to do is hang my hard cases on my AT or throw the soft bags over the DR, load up my camping gear and ride and camp off the bike.

When I’m out there in the middle of nowhere at night and all is quiet, the ringing in my head is almost deafening.
  12. Schmokel

Schmokel Long timer

Oddometer:
    In related news,

eeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee
    NC Rick, JagLite and Anthiron like this.
  13. Copracer288

Copracer288 How hard can it be?

Oddometer:
    More like:

EEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE
  14. ER70S-2

ER70S-2 Long timer

Oddometer:
    Yes - you can. I've made the analogy before - the cilia in our ears is like a tree forest. Every time you damage your hearing, you break down another tree. If you can hear anything, you still have functioning cilia - waiting to be broken. Hearing loss is permanent and progressive, don't be a dumb shit, take care of what you have.

Don't believe me? hang around someone with really bad hearing, they withdraw from conversations because it's all just garbled noise, soon becoming recluses, even from their own families.

I know you bypassed the safety interlock but I think that end plugs into the socket and a 1/4 turn latches it in place, like a taillight bulb.

Ummm, yer riding a motorcycle, helmet speakers aren't going to sound like your home entertainment system. Says the guy who's only interested in hearing voice communication, I never listen to music when riding. Heck, I hardly listened to music on my 38k mile trip last summer - I'm great company. :-)
  15. procycle

procycle Long timer

Oddometer:
    Center of the DualSport Adventure universe
    Most earbuds don't work for motorcycle riding. They aren't 'noise isolating'.
    The ones I linked to earlier work well. I also use some Klipsch X10 earbuds. Expensive, yes but very small and curved so the helmet doesn't pull them out of my ears. The silicone buds seal up well too. They are as good as earplugs for wind noise protection.
    [​IMG]
    NC Rick, smilin jack, JagLite and 2 others like this.
  16. drmiller100

drmiller100 Long timer

Oddometer:
    some of us just turn into grumpy old men.

GET OFF MY LAWN YOU DAMN KIDS!!!!!!!!!!!!!
  17. Nogoodnamesleft

Oddometer:
    If I'm left with no music, I always have this going on in the back ground..
    sound track of my life..

Unless I'm fixing something that involves 2 or 3 trips to the hardware store for something I forgot or broke..
    Then this is the soundtrack of my life..

I like the hearing tree analogy..
    you can only swing on a branch, adding more weight, for so long before it breaks and dumps you on your ass..
    wee-twin, Fishnbiker, NC Rick and 3 others like this.
  18. ER70S-2

ER70S-2 Long timer

Oddometer:
    So sometimes, lucky is better than good. Earlier this week I decided I should really try to start the DR with the rally right around the corner. Much to my surprise and delight, it started fairly easily considering how long it's been sitting since I've been trying to drive the wheels off of the RV. :dj

Realizing the float bowl was most likely dry, I moved the petcock from RES to PRI to fillit. Alas, drip, drip, drip, drip, drip, drip, drip - sigh. :( It had about 3 gallons of Seafoamed fuel and hadn't leaked as long as it was sitting. Didn't leak when ON or RES, only PRI. Well :hmmmmm, I never use PRI, I can 'get away with this'. Then I remembered 'do yer damn maintenance before the damn rally' 'advice' shared earlier. And I hate when someone shows up with known problems to a special event - and this is a very special event. Wunner where the petcock rebuild kit is? :scratch

It should be noted that my garage organization has taken a hit the last few years - I think I can vie for 'winner of the most disorganized garage' with @Nogoodnamesleft . :( Any way, leaking petcock on my mind, thinking of the two most likely places the kit may be. So … puttering around in a remote corner of the cluttered 4 car garage, far from any bike parts, I stumble across a small 5" x 5" box of long ago ordered spares for the DR - guess whut - rebuild kit. :patch :clap

Installed it today and no more leak. :ricky The bike got a fresh 3 gallons, fired right up, idled fairly well (a surprise considering how long it sat) and may go for a ride in the next day or two to see if I remember how to shift a manual transmission. :scratch If it runs well enough, I won't even have to change the pilot jet out, which I thought would be absolutely necessary. YAY :clap
  19. Nogoodnamesleft

Oddometer:

:lol3

my tools are always tidy.. but yep, just like you everything else is in a box.. somewhere.. :D

but i think i'm getting better..
    i've had my new BM nearly 3 months now and i've only had to buy 1 replacement key. :fpalm
    my spare one is in a, yep, box.. somewhere.. i haven't lost it, it's in uhmm.. in storage, yes, lets go with storage..
    but i think BM is partly to blame, it's one of those stupid credit card style spare flat key things..
    wouldn't be my fault..

at least i managed to get this one on a bit of string before i lost it put it in storage.. :D

<untitled> (30).jpg
  20. cogitech

cogitech Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Well, looky what I found!

Thanks @Cedarooner ! That was fun! Such a great spot, and a pretty good ride, too. I’ll pick a beer and put it somewhere soon!
    15312F07-77EE-404A-A051-4BA0F7143B8A.jpeg
    3C5BE114-1E42-44D7-824C-D2CC738E2E01.jpeg
    DR Vader, thump!, Ride Now and 21 others like this.