the DR650 thread

Discussion in 'Thumpers' started by sleepywombat, May 1, 2006.

1. Buckee

Buckee Scott

Oddometer:
    Very challenging rides last weekend - they were up & down days if you get my drift. As usual, anytime Blue Suzi goes down on her left side, she won’t start for at least 10 minutes. Down on the right, she starts right up. Shy of draining the bowl, is there any prescribed routine for a successful restart when she’s been down on the left for a few minutes? Is this normal or indicative of an o ring issue? All new rings just last fall. 5.3 Acerbis & Acerbis petcock.
    Chethro likes this.
  2. ER70S-2

ER70S-2 Long timer

Oddometer:
    I just saw this on DRRiders - good stuff. :thumb I knew it existed but wasn't sure where. I also put it in the DR Index (link in my sig) under Links, Write-Ups & Pictoricals.

https://procycle.us/info/
  3. cogitech

cogitech Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    No idea at all, but my first experiment would be to let it down on its right side after a left side drop and see if it starts better.
  4. William Wolfen

William Wolfen Long timer

Oddometer:
    It's just flooded. Good the throttle side open while cranking. It'll start before long. Also, turning off the petcock ASAP to reduce flooding can help.
  5. Chethro

Chethro Confidence is High

Oddometer:
    Fantastic ride! Only went 60 miles of gravel, dirt and pavement. I hit 5 miles of new black top that was like a roller coaster. What a hoot. Came up to the next section they were paving and the guy said my tires would tear up the new blacktop and asked me to go around...no problem back that same 5 miles woo hoo!

I changed the oil out for Rotella T6 synthetic yesterday and the bike shifts much smoother. I don't know if it was the new oil or the cooler weather, but the bike was running great. Really torquey. No bugs were out either since it was so cool.

These were taking out roads I've shown before near Rock Castle WV, but are some different views. I can't wait until the leaves turn.

The Olympia Richmond jacket did very well too. I zipped the vents up and only had my mesh padded shirt and a tee under it. Even without the liner it was plenty warm at 55 F.

IMG_5184.JPG

IMG_5189.JPG

IMG_5191.JPG

IMG_5195.JPG
  6. Chethro

Chethro Confidence is High

Oddometer:
    I had mine down on the left side for about 15 minutes once while I was in the middle of nowhere. I got her up right waited 15 minutes and it still wouldn't start. Waited another 10 or 15 minutes and nothing. I was afraid of running the battery dead, so I changed a plug. Pulled panels, seat and slid the "full" tank back what a pain. :muutt

Giving it full throttle is your only hope. Sometimes it works and sometimes it doesn't.
    JagLite and Buckee like this.
  7. Ride Now

Ride Now Graybeard

Oddometer:
    So, not working very well, right? :-)
    yehaaa6 likes this.
  8. Paddle007

Paddle007 Gun Toting Vegetarian. Supporter

Oddometer:
    What carb are you using?
  9. 97707

97707 addicted to placebos

Oddometer:
    There's a screw to drain the bowl. You can have it done pdq if you have the right driver. Saves waiting and draining the battery.

Make sure and shut off the petcock first.

On edit: found a pic.

DR650 drain screw.JPG
  10. Fishnbiker

Fishnbiker Tire smuddy, hook swet

Oddometer:
    Campbell River, Vancouver Island, BC, Canada
    :wings
  11. Buckee

Buckee Scott

Oddometer:
    Stock
  12. Paddle007

Oddometer:
    I was curious if it was the stock bst. The throttle doesn't open the throttle plate.
    They can be a bugger to get running after flooding with fuel.

I see your using Redfish Hunters quote. Was he referring to the cold Dixie beer or his wife?
  13. TypeRated

TypeRated Airborne Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I posted a WTB in the Flea Market, but it’s going to get buried...
    anyone have a set of stock turn signals, complete stock rear mudguard/plate holder, and a DRZ250 tail light they’d be willing to let go?

*Also, is anyone here a mod on the DR650SE Riders group on FB? I put in a request to join days ago, but it’s not been approved.*
  14. procycle

procycle Long timer

Oddometer:
    Center of the DualSport Adventure universe
    :thumb

That link may change. For sure the individual page locations will change.
    The entire ProCycle web site has been undergoing a complete rebuild from the foundation up.
    The new place should be open for business some time in September.
  15. ER70S-2

ER70S-2 Long timer

Oddometer:
    I'm being a bit pedantic here but - opening the throttle does open the throttle plate, it doesn't open the slide. I have no idea how far the slide will raise at cranking speeds with the throttle held WFO but that's what I do when dropped and it won't start right up.

The throttle plate can be seen here in the lower left corner, it opens with the throttle - cable controlled. For the observant - the carb is reversed to the engine here, this end faces the engine. :deal
    [​IMG]
    thump!, JagLite and Anthiron like this.
  16. ER70S-2

ER70S-2 Long timer

Oddometer:
    Let me know when you have a final link so I can correct it in the Index. :freaky
    sandwash and procycle like this.
  17. Paddle007

Oddometer:
    I humbly sit here corrected.
    Are you sure you don't know my wife? :ear
    JagLite, 97707, drmiller100 and 2 others like this.
  18. drmiller100

drmiller100 Long timer

Oddometer:
    I"m running the Acerbis tank, stock petcock, and stock BST.

I've never had problems with it flooding when I lay it over. I wonder if the stock petcock prevents it flooding in this case????
    Sonny S. likes this.
  19. ER70S-2

ER70S-2 Long timer

Oddometer:
    We all make an occasional mistake, no big deal. It's when you argue with the correction, that's when the problems begin (provided that correction is correct). My marriage started failing when the ex started laughing 'at' me instead of 'with' me. :patch
    Mr. Goodkat, JagLite and Chethro like this.
  20. ER70S-2

ER70S-2 Long timer

Oddometer:
    I think it makes a huge difference, once the engine is off, so is the fuel supply. A local DR rider, riding solo, got himself off the side of the jeep road and it was fairly steep. He finally dropped it to the downhill side with a manual petcock and he couldn't reach it as it was on the bottom side. By the time we were able to get a rescue crew back to the bike, the engine was full of fuel, crankcase, cylinder and airbox. I was amazed at the amount of fuel that gushed out of the airbox when he removed the cover. :uhoh
    JagLite, drmiller100, NC Rick and 2 others like this.