the DR650 thread

Discussion in 'Thumpers' started by sleepywombat, May 1, 2006.

1. Nogoodnamesleft

Nogoodnamesleft Long timer

Oddometer:

:photog:photog :photog

on my harley,
    that'd be called matching GT Racing stripes.. it'll go faster now.. :D
  2. yehaaa6

yehaaa6 Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer:
    I bet the battery on my DR is drained by this point by the USB port... might grab a trickle charger and put it on the battery in the house. temperature has dropped a bunch in the past 5 weeks. I also need to get a new front brake lever.

foot's still healing up, I think I need a couple more weeks. checkup on Monday. see how it goes.

in other news, the itch to trade the car in on an RV and try the drifter's life is coming back around... except now there's a bunch of inexpensive RVs on the classifieds. wasn't before. :hmmmmm
    mulling it over. this beast looks fun http://velcrostrip.com/06GMC2.html (custom converted Ryder truck)
    Hivernaut, JagLite, Jimr80gs and 7 others like this.
  3. Lil' Steve

Lil' Steve PussyWagon™ Chauffeur

Oddometer:

By contrast, the riding season is just starting here in the desert. @tobiism and I got out for a few hours early this morning on our non orange cheater bikes.

[​IMG]
    Tadpole, Hivernaut, JagLite and 11 others like this.
  4. AlH

AlH Long timer

Oddometer:
    15mpg hiway? Uh huh sure it does- if he drives 35 on the hiway. :rofl A couple of years age we drove a similar, newish, but smaller, U-haul truck 1100 miles, with not near the weight he has in that conversion- was lucky to see 10mpg.
    Hivernaut, JagLite and yehaaa6 like this.
  5. yehaaa6

yehaaa6 Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer:
    Haha I don't doubt it. Does seem a bit optimistic.
    JagLite likes this.
  6. boulet_boulet

boulet_boulet Long timer

Oddometer:
    A friend gave me this nifty homemade top box that I plan to use occasionally for camping and for a longer trip that I hope to take in 2020. As you can see, I probably should relocate the rear turn signals further aft. Has anyone on the list relocated their rear signals? If so, any tips would be appreciated.

Seems to me that the Australian bikes come stock with the signals further aft. Anyone have a N American source for those OEM relocators?
    8FA6AE00-FF6E-4AFA-8E8E-F29750A9B6BF.jpeg
  7. Schmokel

Schmokel Long timer

Oddometer:
    Folk's just picked up a 23' Sunseeker. They've been taking it out once a week now. Dad's in his freaking glories. They offered it up to us to use whenever. Next year we're are going to be doing a bit of traveling for sure.
  8. Reddog*

Reddog* Rock Picker & Turtle Wrangler

Oddometer:

Go start a thread.

I bet it'll gain traction.

:rofl
    NC Rick likes this.
  9. Bhart89

Bhart89 Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    If one were to swap out the stock rear and front suspension with aftermarket is there an option to raise the ride height? Or are taller seat, lower pegs and bar risers the only way to get the feeling of a taller sitting bike? (Aside from adding an 18” rear tire).
  10. JRowland

JRowland reaching for the sky Supporter

Oddometer:
    That would be awesome. Have fun today on babyheads.
  11. Porky

Porky Don't Pass Gas

Oddometer:
    +1000
    JagLite and drhippie2 like this.
  12. NC Rick

NC Rick Cogent Dynamics Inc

Oddometer:
    We build long travel shocks and I have built long travel oem forks for the DR. There is not a lot of height available though and it gains just under an inch. That with a tall seat and bar repositioning worked well for our 6’7” 300 lb rider.
    JagLite, ER70S-2, AK650 and 1 other person like this.
  13. NC Rick

NC Rick Cogent Dynamics Inc

Oddometer:
    While hoping to rectify the situation, at the moment I have enough street bikes to cover those scenarios it’s just finding breweries that make or even have the “Blue Shmoo” that presents a challenge.
    Nogoodnamesleft, Mongle and JagLite like this.
  14. spklbuk

spklbuk Long timer

Oddometer:
    Carolina distilled honey dew vine water with blue food coloring. One shot down and after that he'll sip without knowing the difference.
  15. 805gregg

805gregg Long timer

Oddometer:
    G’day all,
    I’m after some honest opinions.
    Since I have to split the cases and inspect gearbox to find where the broken circlip ends came from, I’m seriously thinking while everything is apart to install the 790 big bore kit.
    The bike already has a Mikuni TM40 pumper carb and GSXR muffler and ran really well with that setup.
    The DR is a 2015 model and has only done 24,000 klm’s
    Those that have done the 790 kit, did you just use the stock head and valves and camshaft or did you mod the head and used a hotter cam, are the gains still good by just using the stock head and cam ?
    The main thing that concerns me with the 790 kit is the reliability and durability and maybe increased engine temps, my DR is setup and only used for long distance touring in OZ and it doesn’t get thrashed therefore reliability is main priority, and does the kit increase fuel consumption by much.
    What are your opinions from those that have fitted the 790 kit, any regrets or issues with it.

790 kit with big cam, love it, it's what manufacturers should be making sub 400 lb DS with ample power
  16. 805gregg

805gregg Long timer

Oddometer:
    I have a 19" front wheel on my DR. I just put the rear shock in the lowered position with the inverted spring collar. I intend to lower the front forks and put on a 21" front wheel. Any thoughts or cautions on riding with 19" wheel and lowered rear till I lower the front forks

I have a 19" front wheel, the bike handle better on and off road, I will not go back to the 21" pizza cutter
    procycle likes this.
  17. tobiism

tobiism Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer:
    A great day!
    Nogoodnamesleft and Lil' Steve like this.
  18. ER70S-2

ER70S-2 Long timer

Oddometer:
    Most likely the upper fork tubes just rotated a bit in the triples, pull up to a post/tree/retaining wall/vehicle bumper with your front tire and push the bars straight, the tubes will 'unrotate' - I've been doing that for 50 years. Odds are 98% that's all that happened.

:nod

This is the other possibility, the handlebar mounting hardware got tweaked - it may need to be loosened, realigned and retightened. There's a slim possibility that one of the two bolts going through the upper triple got bent and will need to be straightened but that's rare.
    Didya get the 900's TM-40 to stop p!ssing all over ever thang? :ear
  19. drmiller100

drmiller100 Long timer

Oddometer:
    I'm 6'2. 280. A stock bike is REALLY low for me as the springs sag out. Get the right springs front and rear, set sag correctly, and they sit reasonably high.

Lowering the pegs is a BIG deal for comfort.

to set sag, find a friend and have him measure from a point on the seat/frame above the rear axle shaft with you lifting up on the bike so the shock is topped out. Now stand and balance (I use a garage door frame on my shoulder) on the pegs and have him measure again. If you are that tall, I shoot for 3 to 3.5 inches of sag.

When you change the springs, you NEED to upgrade the shock and front fork hydraulics. Procycle and Cogent have good recomendations on all this for your weight and are as inexpensive as anything and really good.
  20. drmiller100

drmiller100 Long timer

Oddometer:
    Chains. I bought my bike with 16k and it had the original chain.
    I switched to 520 EK style chain on it, and i think it went 8 to 10k miles.
    Then I wore ouit 3 EK chains on it in 10k miles. each time I changed sprockets same time as teh chain.
    I've tried magic lube on one chain. I tried chain lube in a can on one chain. Last chain I used chain saw bar oil because I HATE the smell of 90 weight.

Latest chain is about 2500 miles and stretching fast, and the back sprocket still looks good.

I guess I quit lubing it and try a different manufacturer?