the DR650 thread

Discussion in 'Thumpers' started by sleepywombat, May 1, 2006.

1. Rusty Rocket

Rusty Rocket Life behind "Bars"

Oddometer:
    squa.jpg
    I've seen them in the area. Paint Creek area in TN (just over the hill from the gated hole in the dam)
  2. 805gregg

805gregg Long timer

Oddometer:

Go back to a 525 and get a DID ZVM-X chain, 520 is what Suzuki puts on the DR200
    ER70S-2 likes this.
  3. adam728

adam728 Long timer

Oddometer:
    520 is also on a 50+ hp RMZ450.
  4. Jimr80gs

Jimr80gs Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Thanks. Already called Rick before I saw this post.

This is a great group!
    dcwilcox, drhippie2, JagLite and 3 others like this.
  5. Copracer288

Copracer288 How hard can it be?

Oddometer:
    So I'm back from my first week of the TAT and what an awesome trip it was! I had a few general observations that I posted here: https://advrider.com/f/threads/firs...-a-ride-report-but-some-observations.1411742/

The bike itself ran great. Getting that carb sorted before I left paid off huge. I tuned it just a bit on the lean side at sea level and it was flawless in the mountains. Granted the eastern part of the TAT doesn't see the elevation like out west but nonetheless the bike ran spot on and pulled hard all day every day (and I did not go easy on it) and still got 42-45 mpg. The only issues I had with the bike were the inside header bolt and the horn mount bolt vibrating loose.

I think the DR was the perfect choice of bike for this trip. I honestly couldn't think of a bike I would have rather had. It did it all and did it very well including a few hours of super slab at 75-80 mph up Interstate 81 to meet up with my wife w/ the trailer. All told for the week was 1262 TAT miles and about 1500 miles total. I was riding with a buddy on a BMW GS800 Adventure. He's a pretty good off road rider and very good on the road (does a bunch of track days). He and the beemer were no match for the DR and I off road and surprisingly he struggled to stay with me on the windy pavement as well. Despite having more power and better tires for the road.

It's funny. I just recently bought an '18 SV650 left over for a fun on road bike but all week long was thinking that I should probably just do a DR650 SM. The bike did that well. I friggin' love my DR!!!! :super
  6. drmiller100

drmiller100 Long timer

Oddometer:
    also what the ktm 690 runs, so it isn't like the 520 is undersized. I think i am fatter than most and harder on the chain because of that.
    Nogoodnamesleft likes this.
  7. NC Rick

NC Rick Cogent Dynamics Inc

Oddometer:
    There is a big difference in chain materials and I can’t see why a 520 would be weaker than a 525 or a 530. Making the pins longer may offer some additional bearing on the pins. A strong 520 will be plenty strong. The amount of engagement to the wider sprocket has got to improve the life of the sprocket. There may be 8 or so teeth touching on the countershaft sprocket and unless I was really fighting for every ounce, I’m in for the wider 525 every time.
  8. drmiller100

drmiller100 Long timer

Oddometer:
    older v8's stretched a LOT. I remember doing a bunch of timing chain swaps in AMC 360 Grand Wagoneers in the 80s because the timing chain stretched enough to JUMP teeth.
    And you can find a 90s chevy with enough chain slop to retard the ignition timing 10 or more degrees. A tuneup is plugs, wires, and advance the distributor a bunch and is worth 3 or 4 mpg and a bunch of power.

if it was just plates stretching, then you couldn't put the chain in a big curve and it wouldn't have the side play a worn chain has. I don't think the side plates actually stretch. There is no way a chain gets anywhere near the yield point.
  9. drmiller100

drmiller100 Long timer

Oddometer:
    I'm cheap, and i have an almost brand new 520 rear sprocket installed.
    JagLite likes this.
  10. ER70S-2

ER70S-2 Long timer

Oddometer:
    The rear sprocket is the 'strongest link' between the two sprockets and chain, I don't see any problem running a 525 chain on a 520 sprocket.
  11. ER70S-2

ER70S-2 Long timer

Oddometer:
    Looking at this photo again, I can see where the chain elongates - the narrower link is hanging between the wider links, as the pins wear that distance becomes longer - so I'm back to chains don't stretch, the pins wear. :beer

fwiw: I noticed that center ridge too, it's an internet photo, not mine, so not necessarily a motorcycle chain.
  12. Fishnbiker

Fishnbiker Tire smuddy, hook swet

Oddometer:
    Campbell River, Vancouver Island, BC, Canada
    Obviously too much wheelying :jack
  13. BergDonk

BergDonk Old Enough to Know Better

Oddometer:
    AFAIK 300 Hp MotoGP bikes use 520 chains too; https://www.motorcycle.com/ask-mo-anything/ask-mo-anything-motogp-drive-chain.html

https://www.highpowermedia.com/Archive/motogp-the-chain
    https://www.bikesrepublic.com/featured/motorcycle-chains-everything-need-know/

Chain strength can only be a function of the sideplates and their connection to the pins. Chain width can't make a difference to the strength, but as noted, it does increase their durability, like for like.
    ER70S-2, gpfan, drmiller100 and 3 others like this.
  14. Ohio_Danimal

Ohio_Danimal If I die trying, at least I tried Supporter

Oddometer:
    It’s irrelevant that high power bikes run 520’s.

they’re more concerned with reducing rotating mass and performance than they are lifespan.

MX/enduro/road racers, etc could care less about longevity. A quality 520 chain will certainly last the life of any race. And if what you are concerned with is weight and performance, then by all means run your 520’s lol
    Benduro, NC Rick, thump! and 6 others like this.
  15. Ohio_Danimal

Ohio_Danimal If I die trying, at least I tried Supporter

Oddometer:
    Here’s some supportive data.

I used to ride sport bikes all over hell and back. Averaged 20-30K miles a year for a long time.

several friends of mine in Ohio are hard core road racers.

They would routinely sell their takeoffs real cheap to their friends. Mostly tires, but also chains.
    And rarely would a 520 chain they had (with only several races on it) be usable. Every single one I saw had sections with links that were sticking and kinking.
    This is caused not by the pin wear, but by slight pin bending. Once the pin isn’t straight, the forces of acceleration pulls the side plates towards each other, causing the links to bind.
    Even free I stopped using them. And my bike at the time (SV650) was no horsepower fiend. So I figured (wrongly) that saving all that rotating mass was a good thing.
    It would have been more productive to drink less beer and lose weight myself.
  16. drmiller100

drmiller100 Long timer

Oddometer:
    That certainly makes sense.
    I built an autocross car once with a 160 horsepower snowmobile engine and a pair of 10 inch wide slicks in the back. It had a chain drive.

It turns out an industrial style chain wouild not survive one launch. A high end, go to the local motorcycle shop and ask for the strongest, most high end chain they had survived 3 years of launches.

I never understood chains. Now I do. Pretty cool group of folks.

THANK YOU ALL!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    Benduro, JagLite, ER70S-2 and 3 others like this.
  17. Nogoodnamesleft

Nogoodnamesleft Long timer

Oddometer:

not sure if this link will work as i'm logged into motogp.com.

http://origin-motogpofficialapp.mot.../2017/02/25/how-motogp-chains-are-made/219984

chain life is about 500km sprockets 1000km

https://www.motogp.com/en/video_gal...know-about-motogp-bikes-in-3d/229785?n=270092

i agree with most of the stuff written above in posts, i think all chains are not created equal in construction and heat treating.
    i think wear if it's called elongation, stretching, reforming under load or becoming malleable as it thins on wear surface areas all comes into play.
    to quote a pun "it all gets down to the weakest link" :lol3
    i've never used titanium sprockets so even the base material comes into play for how something wears.

this is all good "over a beer" conversation for me.. :thumb
    Benduro, JagLite, Fishnbiker and 3 others like this.
  18. Nogoodnamesleft

Nogoodnamesleft Long timer

Oddometer:
    i haven't had enough sleep or beer to take that in fully.

are we talking a chain driven over an object such as a rotating sprocket,
    or a chain pulled on end to end, as a length or a single link, with dynamic or static load variables ??
    how are we measuring the strength, breaking or deformation.

is the chain width constant as size increases, with regards to thickness of materials or variables in parts.
    is my chain lubed or dry ??
    and chainsaw oil or wax ?

we best drink some beer soon and figure it out.. not that i need an excuse..

actually ignore all the above..
    beer on it's own is a good enough excuse, to just drink more beer.. :lol3
  19. NC Rick

NC Rick Cogent Dynamics Inc

Oddometer:
    Most chains I have wrecked just keep working but get so long that they round over the sprockets to the point of not providing drive. Fretting corrosion sometimes make them spew rusty dust even out of the O-rings. I did have a 530 chain fail on track on my Ducati 999s several years ago. The chain hit me in the leg ad broke the engine case at over 100mph. I was lucky... anyhow, that chain broke a side plate in the middle.
    I always assumed that the pin / bushing interface became worn and that made the chain “grow”. The test of laying the chain out flat and measuring a specified number of pins shows up the change. The failure I had was almost certainly from fatigue and that may mean the side plates also change dimension? It would be hard to determine thT but I’m sure the guys Engineering chains likely know. Pretty interesting, thinking about it. Pin diameter, rollers materials selection, lubricants, orings and how everything works together consistently . All of those factors considered, the weakest link phenomenon keeps me buying the higher end chains for my use. I doubt the width is such a big deal in comparison to some material, quality control or manufacturing defects.
    Benduro, JagLite, kbuckey and 5 others like this.
  20. BergDonk

BergDonk Old Enough to Know Better

Oddometer:
    Regina chain on a Duc? They have been problematic for me

.[​IMG]

A pin sheared one day for no obvious reason.