the DR650 thread

Discussion in 'Thumpers' started by sleepywombat, May 1, 2006.

1. SloSolo2

SloSolo2 Long timer

Oddometer:
    I wasn't disparaging your tool :lol3 but the 36v had an amazing amount of torque that I haven't ever seen in an 18v and I've used many different brands. I think this is it but the one we used was in a green housing. Demo was in Switzerland and may have predated actual launch so color might not have been representative. Typically green Bosch is homeowner grade and blue is pro.
    JagLite likes this.
  2. Schmokel

Schmokel Key to Happiness: Low Expectations

Oddometer:
    The day I spend $350 on a cordless drill is the day I get Kate Upton to sit on my face.
  3. Sonny S.

Sonny S. Long timer

Oddometer:
    Rode the DR in this morning. You guys that don't have to deal with winter have it made. Sooooo not looking forward to the next 3-4 months :-(.
    Screenshot_2019-11-13-05-06-04-1.jpg
  4. Schmokel

Oddometer:
    It was 7º this morning. I prefer sitting at my desk at work without having to thaw my nuts.
  5. SloSolo2

SloSolo2 Long timer

Oddometer:
    Oh I wouldn't spend that either, like I said I was waiting for the consumer grade product to show up. It might also be a bit like a DR790, having not ridden one I am quite happy to scoff at the costs. I will probably (although not certainly) resist any opportunity to ride one for fear that I won't be happy with my DR650 after having seen the potential. I went into the drill demo blissfully unaware of the consequences.
    TrophyHunter, Fishnbiker and JagLite like this.
  6. Sonny S.

Sonny S. Long timer

Oddometer:
    I wanted to try out the new regulator running both the heated jacket and heated gloves. Bike was fine but all this freaking gears sucks azz. The gloves keep my hands warm but all the bulk is horrible, I wouldn't want to do any jarring unpaved riding.
    I need hippo hands I think. Then getting to work and removing overpants etc. More work than it's worth I think.
    A windshield would help but I don't like em.
    JagLite and JRowland like this.
  7. Schmokel

Oddometer:
    JRowland likes this.
  8. psmcd

psmcd Long timer

Oddometer:
    Kickback control on high torque tools is worth shopping for. I once exploded the metal gearbox housing of a Milwaukee corded 1/2" drill using a 4" hole saw. Better the housing than me as I was on a ladder. Replaced drill with a Dewalt with the kickback control - it's saved me several times since. New hole-hawgs have a clutch in them. I'm indifferent my big old Black & Decker 1/2" drill got stolt. That thing was a merry-go-round when it hooked up. A buddy drilling over-head once got saved when his hole-hawg finally spun to a stop when it came unplugged after jamming and spinning him off the ladder, winding the cord around him as he hung on. Lots of busted fingers, teeth etc from high torque hand tools.:eek7

9. Sonny S.

Sonny S. Long timer

Oddometer:
    They look nice. I'm thinking I'm better off with something that comes up the wrist a little more. Dunno
  10. SloSolo2

SloSolo2 Long timer

Oddometer:
    Probably depends on your glove style. If you're running gauntlets over your coat cuff those would probably be good to go. short gloves under your jacket cuff you might still get a breeze.
    JagLite likes this.
  11. Sonny S.

Sonny S. Long timer

Oddometer:
    My heated gloves are gauntlet. My regular winter gloves are not but they're comfortable off road and down to 40* or so. My winter riding coat on or off the bike is my Carhartt 3/4 length. Extremely warm but the sleeves are very bulky at the cuff and the gauntlets don't go over them well very well, but they do make it. This morning was in a t-shirt , heated jacket liner and Carhartt. Longer rides I do a Marino 250 long sleeve base layer up top. I don't want heated grips as great as they are.
    JagLite likes this.
  12. Schmokel

Oddometer:
    I wear some simple JoeRocket gloves with no gauntlets and it covers just fine. My big concern about the larger mitts was getting my hands stuck in them. These OBR ones have worked flawlessly.
    JagLite and Sonny S. like this.
  13. MrBob

MrBob In the Pines. Supporter

Oddometer:
    While you're crawling around on the floor, wouldja look for my 10mm socket?
  14. jdub

jdub Dawg bytes reel gud Supporter

Oddometer:
    I commute on my bike through most anything except temps below freezing. Probably in large part because my entire 58 mile morning commute is in darkness, and I'm constantly encountering ice across the road at various places from rain run-off, etc.

Do you guys who ride in that weather have some anti-ice riding secret, or do you keep your fingers crossed the whole time that the entire road will be 100% dry? I can deal with the low temps, but ice and two wheels has never worked out well for me.
    ER70S-2 and Redfish Hunter like this.
  15. boulet_boulet

boulet_boulet Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    My primary riding buddy made some hippo hands as seen in this post: https://advrider.com/f/threads/the-sewing-thread-show-us-your-home-made-gear.1406286/#post-38393002. Lots of admirable work there, both in his post and by others.
    JagLite likes this.
  16. shu

shu ...

Oddometer:
    No, fingers crossed is not a good strategy. :p3rry

Colorado air is dry - black ice formed from moisture in the air is rare - and I can safely ride in below freezing temps, but not until the roads are dried out from snow melt.

I know where the trouble spots are and I scope them out day by day until I'm sure it's okay to ride. I'm with you, 2 wheels and ice is not a good mix.

.............shu
  17. Sonny S.

Sonny S. Long timer

Oddometer:
    I live pretty close to you so similar situations.
    If I know the roads are dry I don't worry so much. As winter sets in and it snows, then melts some during the day and run off freezes at night, that creates a bad situation. Also the wonderful brine and salt they put on the roads. If they call for frost MD puts an inch of salt down. Not only the horrible corrosion to the bike but the salt can collect and is like sand in the turns.
    My riding slows down once the snow and salt starts, then I'll ride after a heavy rain washes ( or warshes as we say ) things off.
    JRowland and jdub like this.
  18. Redfish Hunter

Redfish Hunter Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer:
    Where can I buy this drill? I just decided I need two of them!
  19. jdub

jdub Dawg bytes reel gud Supporter

Oddometer:
    Most of my commute is through MD, and there is no doubt when crossing the PA/MD border because the MD roads are much more free of snow/ice due to that inch of salt (thanks, BTW :D ).

Like you, I always look forward to a heavy rain following a period of salt to flush the roads but I also try and rinse the bikes after a ride when possible. I've noticed some adverse effects over the last couple of years though, presumably from the salt brine that has seen increased use, and I think this year I'll try a spray coating of Fluid Film around the engines ahead of the salt.

And to everyone shaking their heads and saying we're nuts, I still love living where it snows! Nothing like hiking on the Appalachian Trail, et al, with my wife and my Lab through a fresh blanket of the white stuff.

20181116_121054.jpg

And a different kind of fun on the state forest roads sometimes (No, I didn't quite make it up this hill even with knobbies :ricky ):

Michaux snow mud5_ 03_2015.jpg
    RedEX, psmcd, Tadpole and 10 others like this.
  20. Fishnbiker

Fishnbiker Tire smuddy, hook swet

Oddometer:
    Campbell River, Vancouver Island, BC, Canada
    I keep an eye out for spares at recycle shops.
    JRowland likes this.