the DR650 thread

Discussion in 'Thumpers' started by sleepywombat, May 1, 2006.

1. shu

shu ...

Oddometer:
    No, fingers crossed is not a good strategy. :p3rry

Colorado air is dry - black ice formed from moisture in the air is rare - and I can safely ride in below freezing temps, but not until the roads are dried out from snow melt.

I know where the trouble spots are and I scope them out day by day until I'm sure it's okay to ride. I'm with you, 2 wheels and ice is not a good mix.

.............shu
  2. Sonny S.

Sonny S. Long timer

Oddometer:
    I live pretty close to you so similar situations.
    If I know the roads are dry I don't worry so much. As winter sets in and it snows, then melts some during the day and run off freezes at night, that creates a bad situation. Also the wonderful brine and salt they put on the roads. If they call for frost MD puts an inch of salt down. Not only the horrible corrosion to the bike but the salt can collect and is like sand in the turns.
    My riding slows down once the snow and salt starts, then I'll ride after a heavy rain washes ( or warshes as we say ) things off.
    JRowland and jdub like this.
  3. Redfish Hunter

Redfish Hunter Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer:
    Where can I buy this drill? I just decided I need two of them!
  4. jdub

jdub Dawg bytes reel gud Supporter

Oddometer:
    Most of my commute is through MD, and there is no doubt when crossing the PA/MD border because the MD roads are much more free of snow/ice due to that inch of salt (thanks, BTW :D ).

Like you, I always look forward to a heavy rain following a period of salt to flush the roads but I also try and rinse the bikes after a ride when possible. I've noticed some adverse effects over the last couple of years though, presumably from the salt brine that has seen increased use, and I think this year I'll try a spray coating of Fluid Film around the engines ahead of the salt.

And to everyone shaking their heads and saying we're nuts, I still love living where it snows! Nothing like hiking on the Appalachian Trail, et al, with my wife and my Lab through a fresh blanket of the white stuff.

20181116_121054.jpg

And a different kind of fun on the state forest roads sometimes (No, I didn't quite make it up this hill even with knobbies :ricky ):

Michaux snow mud5_ 03_2015.jpg
    RedEX, psmcd, Tadpole and 10 others like this.
  5. Fishnbiker

Fishnbiker Tire smuddy, hook swet

Oddometer:
    Campbell River, Vancouver Island, BC, Canada
    I keep an eye out for spares at recycle shops.
    JRowland likes this.
  6. Fishnbiker

Oddometer:
    Very common here in the northwest close to the ocean. We even have clip-on studs for our walking boots. Not even liking cages on that stuff.
    JagLite likes this.
  7. Sonny S.

Sonny S. Long timer

Oddometer:
    I spray the bikes down with S100 corrosion inhibitor. It's ok. Spray silicone dry lube does OK too. Have tried many industrial type sprays. Helps spokes from corroding. Yes watch the brakes and tires.
    This year I'm going to pick up some CRC Salt Terminator and give it a try for wash and protection. I'll get a gallon jug and mix it up in a spray bottle.
    Anyone try it? It's mostly a boat thing I guess.
  8. ER70S-2

ER70S-2 Long timer

Oddometer:
    Please doG, make it stop. :yikes There’s nothing quick about a bonus loop, 10 minits seem like hours. :eekers

Yeah, I don’t drink and ride but apparently I’ll ride b!tch with no gear. :toney

QFT :deal
  9. kbuckey

kbuckey Long timer Super Supporter

Oddometer:
    Thank goodness I no longer have to commute. I always tried to watch the weather and see if there would be ice. Buuuut, my Dad called the weathermen "hired liars" for a reason. I did end up riding on ice much more than I would have liked, but I only fell down once, and that one at zero mph. In addition to being lucky, when I hit a patch of ice I tried to make sure everything was neutral - no acceleration, no deceleration, no turn or lean angle. Of course that doesn't always work. But where I lived (at 7700 feet and commuted down to 5000 in Denver) it was almost always below freezing when I left for work in the winter, so it was risk it or don't ride. Usually the deciding factor was what my neighborhood was like. If I could (or thought I could) get to the main road I'd almost always risk the ride. Sometimes, of course, coming home was the challenge:
    P1010171.JPG
  10. boulet_boulet

boulet_boulet Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Mongle, Nogoodnamesleft and Sonny S. like this.
  11. cyberdos

cyberdos Easy Bonus Loop ♦♦

Oddometer:
    What's this chilly weather you all keep talking about?

:jkam

[​IMG]

Oh noes! 30% chance of rain next Wednesday. :cry May need to stay home that day.
  12. Fishnbiker

Oddometer:
    These photos were after sitting by the ice chests for several hours hydrating (with those specialty beers brought from everywhere) & recovering from the day's hot riding. ATTGAT is for sober riders.
  13. Schmokel

Schmokel Key to Happiness: Low Expectations

Oddometer:
    I'll keep this post in mind in eight months when its 140º out. :D
  14. cyberdos

Oddometer:
    I still ride when it's hot out. You must be thinking about @JagLite

:lol3
    Fishnbiker, Mongle, drhippie2 and 3 others like this.
  15. Toothyak

Toothyak Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I live a few miles south of JagLite and we haven’t even had frost yet! Anybody want to move to balmy Seward, AK I can fix you up.
  16. ACDSDR650

ACDSDR650 n00b

Oddometer:
    That is an DOT led light from amazon and a home made bracket that utilizes all OEM hardware for mounting and adjustment. I actually considered making these up in a package since they are a direct bolt on for the DR650se and DRZ400s/SM. Figured I would have a tough time selling enough of them to pay for a mass produced bracket.
    JagLite likes this.
  17. JRowland

JRowland Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer:
    Wait, you say warsh too? I’m from western PA, that’s how they pronounce is there too. I made fun of my mom forever for that.
    jdub, cyberdos and Sonny S. like this.
  18. cyberdos

Oddometer:
    :nah

We're not falling for that!
    Fishnbiker, JagLite and procycle like this.
  19. psmcd

psmcd Long timer

Oddometer:
    You spoke with such confidence I immediately had to go look again.:lol3 Not there. No 10mm sockets either @MrBob. or flange nut @JRowland. Now that it's light and warmer at 34* I went out to check and sure enough, the filter spring is right where it belongs. Only in my attempt to avoid spilling gas by partially laying bike over with the handlebar end onto the lift platform, I slipped, smashed thumb, dropped bike to floor, and spilled gas.:baldy :becca
    This is beginning to sound like an @Nogoodnamesleft story.:beer

But I did pull out my Moose foam handguards while confirming I still have more spare o-rings.
    https://procycle.us/product/432-moose-molded-foam-handguards - Good enough for one who's never had to commute on a motorcycle. Guess I'll wait for the fog to lift and roads to dry with the balmy 51* forecast --- and go for a ride.:ricky

20. sarcoid

sarcoid Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer:
    Great success! Started right up and sounds great. Good throttle response from the little bit of blips. Should be able to ride it in a few days to run it through the paces.

Thanks for all the help and past posts of knowledge! 20191113_134427.jpg