the DR650 thread

Discussion in 'Thumpers' started by sleepywombat, May 1, 2006.

1. nochwas

nochwas Adventurer

Oddometer:
    @cyberdos, curious about the turn signals on your 790.... from those twilight rally photos a few pages ago, looks like your front turn signals double as white running lights?? Kind of hard to tell how bright they are in running-light mode-- that photo might've made them look brighter than they are...

I'm looking for a simple solution just to have more light sources on the front of my 650 to make me more visible to oncoming drivers, so curious about your setup. Assume those lights were on there when you got the bike from warpman, but if you have any info on make/model or any feedback on how they work for you, please share.
    JRowland likes this.
  2. Paddle007

Paddle007 Gun Toting Vegetarian. Supporter

Oddometer:
  3. cyberdos

cyberdos Easy Bonus Loop ♦♦

Oddometer:
    I wish I could tell you what they are but I bought the bike with them and the previous owner said his wife bought them for him as a gift and also doesn't know where she got them from. They are slick as hell and it's going to suck when they get ripped off of the bike in a crash soon enough.
    kbuckey, Mongle, chethro and 2 others like this.
  4. Tall Man

Tall Man I'm out in the club and I'm sippin' that bub

Oddometer:
    I too have a Carhartt 3/4 length work coat, with the Artic lining. It is warm! I've had to shed layers more than twice, due to the coat causing me to heat up too much after I got busy with a particular task when outside in truly cold temps.

:augie

[​IMG]
    RedEX, Nogoodnamesleft, jdub and 4 others like this.
  5. nochwas

nochwas Adventurer

Oddometer:
    ok, thanks anyway for the reply. There's a crazy variety of LED turn signals / running lights showing up on web searches, but so far haven't seen ones that look like yours.

just to help me work out whether to keep searching, can you give any assessment of how they are as "running lights" in terms of brightness-- was that photo distorting things a bit, or are they bright enough to actually catch a driver's attention & be seen as separate lights from your main headlight?
  6. cyberdos

Oddometer:
    Oh, they are bright alright! I love these lights. Tonight I'll take a little vid and post some pics. I've searched too and can't find the stupid things. They have no markings either.
    JagLite and nochwas like this.
  7. chethro

chethro Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    If you haven't tried them it's hard to beat the Black and Decker battery tools. Cheap to buy especially around Thanksgiving and Christmas. IIRC I paid $29 for my last drill with two batteries at Wallyworld.

I have the 40 volt chainsaw, hedge trimmer, weed eater and leaf blower. The leaf blower is a little weak but the other tools work great! The chainsaw is known as my angry beaver. I can go through three 12" diameter trees completely cut up per battery.

Also, the 20 volt drill and 1/4" impact are top notch. I have three of the drills.

I have been using them for about 4 years and nothing has broken yet.
    JagLite and BergDonk like this.
  8. Redfish Hunter

Redfish Hunter Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer:
    Paddle007 likes this.
  9. AlH

AlH Long timer

Oddometer:
    I vividly remember the day I hit an ice patch in a Blue Ridge Parkway tunnel on my DL1000- I saw it a split second before I was on it and did exactly what one should do- remain as neutral as possible. As you said- make damn sure you don't try to slow or turn.

I think it took several weeks for the pinched up spot in the seat to flatten back out....
    kbuckey, RedEX, dcwilcox and 14 others like this.
  10. MattR302

MattR302 Awesomeness, Inc.

Oddometer:
    On my old DR350, I installed these after getting cut off twice in one evening.
    https://www.ebay.com/itm/Motorcycle...ight-For-Victory-Benelli-Aprilia/372688024539
    They worked well in regards to holding their position, but that was purely street use.
    Because of the long stem, I did have to trim my handguards a bit to be able to aim them down correctly. They seemed more of a "spot" light than a wide driving light.

I recently ordered a set of these for my 919. (Haven't installed them yet)
    https://www.ebay.com/itm/2pcs-10W-M...ork-Fog-Light-Mirror-Mount-4-BMW/372013628695
    These are quite a bit smaller and shorter stems. Durability seems very good. They require a bit more force to adjust, which I think is a good thing.
    They are 3 wire: 1 ground, 1 "halo" outer ring, and 1 inner spot light. (They also sell red, blue, and green halos but I stick with legal white)
    The white halo I bought is pretty bright and great for more "look at me" light without being blinding to oncoming traffic. I will wire these so they are always on.
    I may not use the inner spot light - depending on how many times you switch them on, it alternates between full power, half power (dim), and flashing.
    I'll check tonight to see if there's any interference with the DR brake fluid reservoir. I may order another set for the DR.
    JagLite likes this.
  11. kezzajohnson

kezzajohnson kezza

Oddometer:
    Speaking of impact drivers. Recent discussion has got me thinking about a job I've been meaning to do for a while. Have a ride coming up and am gonna get this sorted once and for all, just in case my pickup coil fails on me in the middle of no-where. I carry a spare, as failure is common enough, but I would probably have no hope of changing it out in the bush because of those pesky little OEM screws. At 67,000km, I don't like my chances of the gasket coming off cleanly either, so better order a new one just in case. If you need to know, the OEM scews are 5mm x 10mm with 0.8 thread. I am going to replace them with allen heads but not change the OEM pickup coil at this stage.

Photo courtesy of jimrandall.net

[​IMG]
  12. adam728

adam728 Long timer

Oddometer:
    My DR lighting solution. A 6inch light bar, some hacked up captop brackets, and trimming the shroud to fit. Wire it up so the high beam triggers a relay and turns on the light bar. Paired with an ADVmonster led headlight bulb (that gives remarkably good low beam cutoff, an issue with many led bulbs in halogen housings) and I have much improved lighting.
    20150601_232852_zpskokh7nhr.jpg

FB_IMG_1499309334520.jpg

And with the roads being snow/ ice / salt covered I am now done commuting via bike.
    bungen, RedEX, DR Vader and 12 others like this.
  13. Sonny S.

Sonny S. Long timer

Oddometer:
    Any pictures of the headlight without the 6" LED?
    Never heard of that ADVmonster bulb
    Redfish Hunter likes this.
  14. JagLite

JagLite Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    Must be.
    When the temp hits 80 I'm dying...
    60's and sunshine is my riding weather of choice.

Although, I did buy a bike Saturday that will live at my brother's house in Green Valley, AZ.
    I found it searching CL and it was in Tucson so I asked my brother if he would fetch it for me.

:wings

@cyberdos will love my new-to-me racer!

:ricky

:yikes

[​IMG]

:ricky

I plan to go down for a week at a time during the winter to explore when the temperature won't melt my brain.
    Maybe you can head south sometime when I am down there and we can find some bonus loops.

On a different subject, a friend sent me a picture of a couple custom bikes that I really like:

upload_2019-11-13_13-34-22.png

Ya gotta build two of them at least, so you and a friend can terrorize the town! :ricky :ricky
    I call 'em "Bugout Bikes", I dunno what the builder calls them, or who he is, or where he is, but he IS a genius! :thumb
    RedEX, chethro, Ride Now and 21 others like this.
  15. cyberdos

Oddometer:
    :fpalm
    ACDSDR650, kbuckey and JagLite like this.
  16. JRowland

JRowland Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer:
    @sanjoh is member here. He seems like a good guy, he offered me the opportunity to ride some of his bikes when I was trying to figure out what kind of gravel mobile I wanted. I never made that happen but we will eventually ride together.
    sanjoh and TrophyHunter like this.
  17. thump!

thump! Adventurer

Oddometer:
    The small o-ring on the inside is often left out because it sticks to the old filter and gets discarded. Make sure it's there when assembling. Without it oil can bypass the filter.
  18. AlH

AlH Long timer

Oddometer:

Well we did it- 2019 4Runner TRD Off Road Premium.
    Can't believe the POS tires Toyota put on them though, Dunlop AT20's.
    Have an appt in the morning at the local Discount Tire to swap for BFG KO2's, which we have on our FJC and 4wd F350. Was somewhat surprised what good trade-in credit they gave for the brand new 60 mi Dunflops.
    Was sad to see the spare, while full size and the same tire as the other 4, is on a steel rim instead of the alloy rims. Back in 2011 on the FJ they supplied all 5 on alloys.
    On the FJ Toyota advised rotating all 5. Can still do it on the 4R but it would look like crap with one black steel wheel.....so I'm on the lookout for a used alloy one.

The tech in these now is impressive- never had a vehicle come with 2" of owner's manuals:lol3
  19. thump!

thump! Adventurer

Oddometer:
    De nada
  20. Lil' Steve

Lil' Steve PussyWagon™ Chauffeur Supporter

Oddometer:

Congrats! That will be a perfect bike to explore around there. Cyberdos and I have ridden a bit of the AZBDR in that region a couple of years ago in December. We woke up to frost on the seats and by the afternoon we were shedding layers. I'll gladly drag drive him down to meet up for another opportunity to ride a TW. Let us know when you're heading down.