the DR650 thread

Discussion in 'Thumpers' started by sleepywombat, May 1, 2006.

1. procycle

procycle Long timer

Oddometer:
    Center of the DualSport Adventure universe
    With enough combined miles to ride to the moon and halfway back. :augie
  2. Copracer288

Copracer288 How hard can it be?

Oddometer:
    You call that mud? This is mud:

Beta submarine.png

My ride from last weekend. So much crud inside the motor. :doh
  3. cyberdos

cyberdos Easy Bonus Loop ♦♦

Oddometer:
    Nice boata.
    drhippie2, yehaaa6, JagLite and 4 others like this.
  4. adam728

adam728 Long timer

Oddometer:
    Ouch. Hope it's just cleanup and nothings damaged.
    kbuckey and NC Rick like this.
  5. Copracer288

Copracer288 How hard can it be?

Oddometer:
    The cylinder and the crankcase were both filled. I've got 4 oil flushes through it so far. The first couple were VERY bad. The oil has cleaned up pretty well and the bike is now running and runs well. The first couple times it was very hard to get the bike started. I'm leaving today for one last riding trip to VA for a long weekend. When I get back I'll finish cleaning it up and put it all back together and start doing some short rides and more oil changes. So far it looks promising.
  6. JagLite

JagLite Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    Hey!
    That's a product in need of production... a Snorkel kit for those of us who don't live in the desert. :thumb
  7. thump!

thump! Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Unless the old ones are damaged I reuse them all the time.
    BergDonk, psmcd and ER70S-2 like this.
  8. cyberdos

Oddometer:
    I like em. I've had my old one for a minute now. The poor thing is starting to deteriorate. Runs like a champ but unfortunately the fairings, which are really hard to find nowadays, have seen better days. After the right side one pretty much crumbled in my hands when I took it off a few months ago it has been parked ever since.

A few years ago I was looking around for a replacement bike (vstrom) as a commuter because when my back issues start nagging me the VFR's ride position does me no favors. So as I was snooping around on CL I saw the other VFR. :tb The thing was a cherry barn find. Literally, the guy had it in his barn about 2 hours north of here in Chino Valley. Had it decently priced too. I didn't NEED another VFR. It was entirely the wrong bike to buy. But I couldn't look away so I low-balled the guy in an attempt to have him tell me to fuck off but he accepted the offer. :eek7

The bike had 22k miles and was perfect. Here's the guy I bought it from on the day I stole it away from him.

[​IMG]

Once he had cash in his pocket and I had the title in hand I told him how many miles my other VFR had and he kinda realized that he'd under-priced the thing. :D

When I purchased the new one I had every intention of selling the old one but my son has mentioned that he wants it. I doubt that he'll actually end up with it but I've been holding onto it just in case. Plus it seems nobody wants to buy a bike with 180k+ miles on it no matter how well it runs. I think those two bikes may die with me.
  9. acap650

acap650 acap650

Oddometer:
    I've tried to reset my password, followed directions to the T more than twice, failed every time. I guess I'll be phone ordering from now on.
  10. cyberdos

Oddometer:
    I think that's the plan at @procycle . Get people frustrated with the website so they are forced to talk to Carl and he sells them half the warehouse. :lol3
    dcwilcox, kbuckey, drhippie2 and 7 others like this.
  11. SloSolo2

SloSolo2 Long timer

Oddometer:
    It's a cold, slow day here so I hope you'll pardon the off topic and probably pointless post.
    I've been wanting to add a larger more road oriented bike to my garage to compliment the DR650. I really don't want a feet forward ride and the budget for purchase is ~$1,000 so options are very limited.
    Of these currently for sale bikes which would you choose and why? All are priced approximately the same and in reasonably the same state of (dis)repair.
    1. 2003 Triumph Speed Four - 20K miles, would fit into my garage easiest and probably the most inviting of the three for regular rides due to it's smaller size
    2. 2004 Kawaski Concours - 54K miles, includes side and top cases but it's not immediately rideable and will always be ugly
    3. 1990 Honda Pacific Coast - 45K miles, weird but owners seem to love them and @procycle mentioned a performance mod that has me curious

The smart thing to do would be to save more and buy a better bike than any of the above but that doesn't sound like much fun.
    RedEX, JagLite and procycle like this.
  12. procycle

procycle Long timer

Oddometer:
    Center of the DualSport Adventure universe
    I don't know why it only works for 98% of people but not for the other 2%.
    You don't need an account to place an order - only to save a wish list.

Anyhow, it would be helpful if you would send an email to info@procycle.us about not being able to reset the password. Include as much detail as you can. Every little bit of info helps the I.T. folks zero in on the bug.
  13. boulet_boulet

boulet_boulet Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    JRowland and Nogoodnamesleft like this.
  14. cyberdos

Oddometer:
    I have a lowish mile VFR750 I could sell ya. :deal

What do you mean by 'not immediately rideable'? That engine is silky smooth and has gobs of power. It makes an excellent ST. I would go with the Connie, if it was rideable.
    JagLite likes this.
  15. sarcoid

sarcoid Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer:
    not if I can help it. :raabia I will nag you periodically but please look my way if you every decide to part with them. :smooch
    cyberdos likes this.
  16. acap650

acap650 acap650

Oddometer:
    OK, it's working now. Not sure why but I'm happy and my DR is happy. No need to resort to RMATV. Thanks for the great customer service.
    drhippie2, procycle and JagLite like this.
  17. SloSolo2

SloSolo2 Long timer

Oddometer:
    I thought you might have an alternative bike offer :lol2.
    Rear tire is flat due to "broken valve stem". I have no idea how ugly that could be since there are 3 photos, 1 long shot of the bike and 2 of the luggage off the bike :dunno. One might assume it's just the valve stem that died of old age but for all I know he busted it out of the wheel at the root. The Trumpet is said to have a fueling issue that makes it unpleasant to ride at low RPM and the PC has lots of little bumps and dings but is reported as running well. I think I know what the Triumph needs and it's about $70 in ebay parts. If the Connie just needs a valve stem it would be the cheapest fix. No idea how much the 28 or whatever larger jet costs for the PC but can't imagine it's much. I work from home so none of these will be a commuter, does that impact on your choice?
  18. cyberdos

Oddometer:
    It does. As a non-commuter I would strike the PC completely off the list. Sorry Jeff but I think that PC's are dull. It's a nice big comfy scooter. Good for commuting and living out of your mom's basement the rest of your life, bad for picking up hot future ex-girlfriends.

The triple seems to be a fun bike. Never ridden one but know many people that love them. It would be a better choice in the fun factor department if a more sporty bike is what you're looking for. The Connie is kind of an inbetween.

If I were you, I'd wait for something else like a stretched out turbo Busa.
    JagLite and SloSolo2 like this.
  19. sarcoid

sarcoid Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer:
    Had a chance to take the DR out after the Breathe Easy kit, exhaust and tank upgrade. What a great difference. I found it generated power much faster at every circumstance I threw at it. I started from an incline up hill in 2nd gear and immediately broke the rear loose with ease. No bogging in 4th gear at 30 mph behind a cage on the street like with the stock setup. Really happy with this setup. :clap
    Tadpole, DR Vader, RedEX and 12 others like this.
  20. thump!

thump! Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Not to come across as adversarial but I really don't understand the interest in lugging the engine on these bikes. I think most of us would agree this motor is happiest above 3000 RPMs. Below that it will run and it will pull with light throttle all the way down to 2000 but it's not really a happy camper down there. If I were following someone at 30 miles an hour, particularly with the expectation that I might pass them, I'd be in 3rd gear.

Same thing with second gear roost at 1500 RPMs. That's a ground speed pretty close to jogging. I just don't think that's a reasonable expectation.
    Rusty Rocket, RedEX, Mongle and 7 others like this.