the DR650 thread

Discussion in 'Thumpers' started by sleepywombat, May 1, 2006.

1. JRowland

JRowland Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer:
    So my bike lives between 2000 and 6000 feet on a normal ride. If I say want to ride it to Ohio to my lake house in the summer. Am I still shooting for the edge of lean in the cold at 3500 feet (my house).
  2. 805gregg

805gregg Long timer

Oddometer:
    ]Is there any other option available for a heavy duty pannier rack than Procyle?

Yes, still the best is Happy Trail
    Solo Moto and Fishnbiker like this.
  3. JRowland

Oddometer:
    I'm using a Shoei full face helmet and the little chin flap they provide really helps on top of a thin balaclava with no windshield. I get much more windblast on my Deluxe with no screen at speed that I usually just run the windshield. The little DR headlight fairing must do something because in comparison no screen to no screen the Deluxe is way worse.
  4. Redfish Hunter

Redfish Hunter Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer:
    I cannot offer any specifics on how to set the stock carburetor on the DR. I was worried about it when I brought it up to the Deal's Gap area last weekend, I have seen two fuel injected bikes lose power and misbehave there even though that altitude is usually less than 5K feet. I figured the carburetor coupled with the relatively low power of the DR would make it somewhat anemic. The Lean/Rich chart provided by @procycle clears up some of my confusion.

I was Pleasantly Surprised. I really did not notice any difference between my sea level (25 feet!) home and the 5,000+ foot elevation of the Cherohala Skyway. Since I was running the motor harder and at much higher RPM than I normally do I figured it would really show itself.
  5. jdub

jdub Dawg bytes reel gud Supporter

Oddometer:
    I've had this five-point mount Skaggs rack on mine for several years now, very solid and drilled/ready for various add-ons like RotoPax, Givi Monokey mounts, etc. https://www.scaggsmotodesigns.com/suzuki.html

I replaced the OEM luggage rack with this one so that my Wolfman side pannier racks would be compatible (only install them when required for a camping trip).

20160724_121623.jpg 20160724_121653.jpg 20160724_121715.jpg 20160724_121732.jpg
  6. psmcd

psmcd Long timer

Oddometer:
    I adjusted the idle fuel screw to dial in my BST for 4k - 9k'+ elevation. I don't think the adjustable needle in center notch is any different than stock. Seems the needle precision is between the notches or just shimming the stock needle. A slight readjust of the fuel screw for the new residence at 1,300' and it works fine here. Maybe it could benefit from tinkering but I just don't find the need to tinker rather than ride. Mostly the bike has more power than I use. It puts and pulls cleanly from reasonable low rpm. I can even occasionally scare myself without it making a commotion. Guess I'm getting old.:gerg:lol3

I wasn't kidding about enjoying how it accelerates downhill. No strain to tax brakes or tires.

IMG_4259.JPG
    JStory, Ride Now, Fishnbiker and 13 others like this.
  7. JRowland

Oddometer:
    Man you have some wide open spaces. I need to make it out that way, I have an uncle in Eugene (which I know isn't really close to you) who isn't getting any younger. I think Idaho is the closest I've been to where you are on 2 wheels. I really liked the eastern part of that state, really liked.
    JagLite likes this.
  8. psmcd

psmcd Long timer

Oddometer:
    I'm right on the way to Eugene and a good stop over point. You or any others headed this way are welcome to PM me and I'll put you up, show you around. Lot's of space plus there's some good get lost in the woods places just up the hill.
    I'm starting to think of a lighter bike for single track but there are a lot of forest roads through this area too.

Ride Now, Fishnbiker, Mongle and 12 others like this.
  9. cogitech

cogitech Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Yes, I did try them. $862.39 CAD shipped, plus whatever charges are incurred when it crosses the border (at least 12% added plus whatever processing/brokerage fees - so at least $962).
  10. JRowland

Oddometer:
    I just had time to watch that video at lunch, man that looked awesome. Everything except trying to kick start that bike in the middle of the stream. Some of those water crossings were moving!
  11. psmcd

psmcd Long timer

Oddometer:
    I really wanted to ride that trail a few weeks ago but I was alone and knew there were a few places where I'd need someone like @cyberdos to go first and then hold my hand.:imaposer

Fishnbiker, RedEX, drhippie2 and 5 others like this.
  12. sarcoid

sarcoid Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer:
    That stinks. I was planning a trip to Toronto in the summer. Not sure if thats near you but would smuggle it in for ya.
  13. AlH

AlH Long timer

Oddometer:
    Yeah I don't care for that gaudy scheme either....otherwise it looks appealing.
    NC Rick likes this.
  14. cogitech

Oddometer:
    Nice offer but I live 2485 miles away from Toronto. :D

I've heard that Americans enjoy visiting Toronto. I lived there for 11 years, so I can't imagine why - but I hope you have a nice time.
  15. AlH

AlH Long timer

Oddometer:
    I've been through Toronto 4 or 5 times. I didn't like it either- take no offense- I don't like ANY big city.:beer
    kbuckey, RedEX, drhippie2 and 8 others like this.
  16. cogitech

Oddometer:
    I'm not a city person either, so living there wasn't very good for my mental health. The thing about Toronto is that its residents have this attitude that it is the centre of the universe. Nowhere else in Canada will you find so many people who think their shit don't stink.
  17. cyberdos

cyberdos Easy Bonus Loop ♦♦

Oddometer:
    You would absolutely love New York City.
  18. sarcoid

sarcoid Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer:
    And being from the NYC area the people in Toronto are the nicest people. lol

Toronto has the hockey hall of fame; what's not to love.
    StrongIslander and JagLite like this.
  19. cyberdos

cyberdos Easy Bonus Loop ♦♦

Oddometer:
    Seriously. I really enjoyed visiting our neighbors to the north. Toronto and Montreal were (to me) kick ass multicultural towns. But Quebec :raabia now that place is special.
  20. jdub

jdub Dawg bytes reel gud Supporter

Oddometer:
    I used to go to Montreal a lot on business and loved it there. You learn very quickly in the wintertime how to utilize their great underground system to get around everywhere downtown.
    JagLite, sarcoid and cyberdos like this.