the DR650 thread

Discussion in 'Thumpers' started by sleepywombat, May 1, 2006.

1. cyberdos

cyberdos Easy Bonus Loop ♦♦

Oddometer:
    Seriously. I really enjoyed visiting our neighbors to the north. Toronto and Montreal were (to me) kick ass multicultural towns. But Quebec :raabia now that place is special.
  2. jdub

jdub Dawg bytes reel gud Supporter

Oddometer:
    I used to go to Montreal a lot on business and loved it there. You learn very quickly in the wintertime how to utilize their great underground system to get around everywhere downtown.
    JagLite, sarcoid and cyberdos like this.
  3. procycle

procycle Long timer

Oddometer:
    Center of the DualSport Adventure universe
    Yes.
    JagLite and JRowland like this.
  4. NC Rick

NC Rick Cogent Dynamics Inc

Oddometer:
    I spent a good bit of time in Toronto and the area. I didn’t mind it. Someone came after me with a broken bottle in Chinatown once but other than that... my first North American microbrewery experience was there I think, a place called “Amsterdam”. Too many people but culturally diverse and freakin expensive.
  5. jdub

jdub Dawg bytes reel gud Supporter

Oddometer:
    That reminds me, I learned to eat with chop sticks at a restaurant in Montreal's Quartier Chinois. How's that for being international? :lol3
    NC Rick, amp333, JagLite and 3 others like this.
  6. Tall Man

Tall Man Neutral Sending Unit World Tour -- now in 2021.

Oddometer:
    Just prior to selling my V-Strom, I de-accessorized it and listed the lot for sale. Almost all of it was purchased by a Canadian fellow. My ad clearly stated that I ship to CONUS only, but he was quick to mention that he had a rented PO box in some NY border town. He intended to ride there, install the accessories that would be waiting for him there, and ride home with Canadian Customs none the wiser.

As the buyer described it, he was at possible risk of being dinged a usurious import fee for something as simple as just one (of the several) Eastern Beaver custom harnesses that I had sold to him. I'm glad, for his sake, that he had a workaround in place.

Some fraternity brothers of mine went on a Spring Break bender to Toronto whilst we were at University. The pictures they brought home to show the rest of us were...illuminating. They had availed themselves of a particular...um, niche industry. We were in awe at the hospitality that the Canadians had offered to them.

And speaking of the Great White North, I loved my moto-camping tour of Nouvelle-Écosse. 'Twas like going back in time 20 years and living with just the Good. Anti-urban (even Halifax was tolerable) and thus functionally perfect. Best mental health break I've had in years.

Yours truly, with the aforementioned V-Strom, waiting for the ferry at Digby.

[​IMG]
  7. cogitech

cogitech Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I agree with you about Quebec City.
    NC Rick and cyberdos like this.
  8. cogitech

cogitech Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    That's a good solution for many, since the vast majority of Canadians live within spitting distance of the border. An exaggeration, yes, but not far from the truth.

For me, the border is a 4 hour drive, without stops. Not particularly practical.
  9. boulet_boulet

boulet_boulet Long timer

Oddometer:
    With 2 kids at university in Canada, I cross over the border regularly. In fact I’m heading to Montreal tomorrow to catch up with them.

Whenever we cross I stop at Pepin’s gas station, about 20 yards inside the US side of the border. It’s my last chance for gas that doesn’t cost a fortune. Pepin’s is owned by a Canadian who crosses into the US to keep shop. Anyway, if his clogged doorway is any evidence, there is quite a bit of commerce being shipped to him for ‘les habitants’ in the region. There are typically scores of boxes awaiting pickup.

I’m with Cyberdos; Quebec is a great place. As a little kid I lived about an hour from there and it has a special place in my heart.
    cogitech, sarcoid and JagLite like this.
  10. Leystone

Leystone Back in the saddle

Oddometer:
    I use a company called Cross Border pickups that ships items across the border for a minimal fee to me in Toronto. There are 'opportunities' to save some duties depending on what is declared through their portal. I go to their centralized warehouse 20 min from my house to get stuff, usually waiting until I collect enough items to make it worth the trip.

Great for the hoarding of parts and gear from ADVrider flea market and Procycle etc. Though my wallet can't sustain the clip I've been at, seeing as it's only November!
    sarcoid and JagLite like this.
  11. Nogoodnamesleft

Nogoodnamesleft Long timer

Oddometer:
    i run a 15/43/525 supersprox and DID from memory.

i've got a 14 front but have never found the need for it.
    tried in dirt and street and then removed it.
    maybe, and it's a big maybe if i only did all dirt, but for city traffic and ham fisted lane splitting it's too feisty.
    i don't know i just tend to sit in the "meat" of the thumper whatever the surface.
    i don't find the 14 offers a big enough improvement to justify it for me.
    i've sat on 130km/80mph with that combo for hours on end, the only grief is fuel consumption goes way up once past 110.

i also like big fronts for other reasons as well. like my lack of regular maintenance checks.. :fpalm

IMG_2865.jpg

i think your bike is pretty stock from memory.
    suspension will help get what power you have down better.
    i found with the stock set up you could only add about 8/10mm of preload and even then it became a bit like a switch.
    you can run stock, i did for over 20k, but getting some suspension work done with good tyres and psi, was like getting some free torque for me.
    my riding got faster on street and dirt, more so than my carb and exhaust mods and even gearing to a degree added.
    JagLite, Hivernaut, RedEX and 3 others like this.
  12. JRowland

JRowland reaching for the sky Supporter

Oddometer:
    Thank you, Simon right? My name is Josh :beer Tires (tyres) made a big difference. Suspension is almost next on my list. I’m lucky to live near an expert in that department. There is still some riding to be had, I’m also trying to focus on my driver mod. There is always room for improvement there and it’s a hell of a lot of fun. I’ll have to pickup a 43T rear and give it a whirl. Is that duct tape band-aid to hold in the frame plug? I’m guessing they must like to wander off?
    Nogoodnamesleft likes this.
  13. drdave_2006

drdave_2006 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Did you have the base gasket on.. And maybe the timing chain tensioner..??
  14. Kaalsb

Kaalsb I should have done this sooner

Oddometer:
  15. Nogoodnamesleft

Nogoodnamesleft Long timer

Oddometer:
    Yep. Simple simon..:D

And they do wander off. Maybe not a big deal if you keep your bike clean.
    I've had my DR for over 4 years. It's never had a complete wash,
    only the bits I'm doing work on will get a wash or leaf blower.
    Fishnbiker and JRowland like this.
  16. JRowland

JRowland reaching for the sky Supporter

Oddometer:
    Mine gets the blower often, in between the sponge and the towel. It’s even been waxed, recommended in the manual :-). I can’t help it, I could have worse habits. My wife’s coworkers say she has the cleanest car in Asheville. I doubt that but she’s always happy that her door jams are shiny.
    JagLite likes this.
  17. Fishnbiker

Fishnbiker Tire smuddy, hook swet

Oddometer:
    Campbell River, Vancouver Island, BC, Canada
    You might get out west to Victoria sometime, more British than Britain. On my Island.
  18. Fishnbiker

Fishnbiker Tire smuddy, hook swet

Oddometer:
    Campbell River, Vancouver Island, BC, Canada
    Growing up in Vancouver with a large Chinese population, I had them mastered by age 7.
    JagLite likes this.
  19. Dav080

Dav080 DRsDR

Oddometer:
    A little help from you guys would be appreciated. My DR has a TM40 carb fitted to it. When riding, upon acceleration, I can feel the bike missing. I replaced the spark plugs which were very black and this fixed the problem temporarily but now it's happening again. I've also noted that when adjusting the choke that when the lever is about halfway across that revs increase before dropping again prior to reaching the fully open position. I've adjusted the air mix screw but it didn't change anything.
    Any ideas what could be the problem?
  20. SloSolo2

SloSolo2 Long timer

Oddometer:
    Does the misfire only occur under load or at all times? I ask because there was a similar issue discussed in the last year or so that turned out to be a chain or sprocket or other drive system problem, too long ago for me to remember exactly. That only occurred when the bike was under load not just revving in neutral.