the DR650 thread

Discussion in 'Thumpers' started by sleepywombat, May 1, 2006.

1. procycle

procycle Long timer

Oddometer:
    Center of the DualSport Adventure universe
    The price will never be lower...:deal
    JagLite, stoney4vida, NC Rick and 3 others like this.
  2. 805gregg

805gregg Long timer

Oddometer:
    If you were going to going to get rid of the 21" front rim which size would you choose for the front (17" or 19") ? (95% street, 5% gravel)

What would be the advantages/disadvantages of one size over the other?

:ear :confused

19" great on street but still doable in the dirt, better for deep sand and gravel
    thump! likes this.
  3. guywithchickens

guywithchickens Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    I took advantage today and ordered a shock solution kit and some carb parts. This was my only Black Friday/Saturday purchase!
  4. NC Rick

NC Rick Cogent Dynamics Inc

Oddometer:
    I have no idea at all where that “tread lightly” shed is! Hints appreciated. I like it!
  5. Kaalsb

Kaalsb I should have done this sooner

Oddometer:
    Hi guys, I bought my dr650 in October and spent the last month setting it up with parts from other inmates on the FM.

I am looking for a front brake line that doesn't have any extra protective sheath on the middle length of the hose, the only brake hose I can find is this hose for a DR650R SE: https://www.ebay.com/itm/HBF7656-FI...775108?hash=item2efdfdf704:g:sM8AAOSwY3BZIaUl

Does anybody have any suggestion for another brake hose or know anything about the quality of Hel Brake line I linked above?
    Also going to get a new line for the rear brake.
    IMG_1350.JPG
  6. BergDonk

BergDonk Old Enough to Know Better

Oddometer:
    [​IMG]

The only difference between the A and B boxes is 1st gear. Its lower in the B box because Nova supply a complete new mainshaft which has 1st drive gear cut into it. On the slower more technical riding I did last week, some of which required 1st gear for the steep pinches the lower 1st worked great. Changing up to 2nd when the opportunity came didn't result in a drop off in drive, if I got it right.

Its hard to be definitive because the A type is in my 790 and the B is in a stock 650. Both change sweetly and offer an improved set of ratios, at least for ADV use. Which is better depends on usage I guess.

upload_2019-12-1_7-33-41.png

I suspect that when a chain and sprockets are due I'll drop another couple of teeth off the back sprocket, currently 15/43, down to 15/45 which will get 5th back to about where it was and make 1st a super low crawler which will suit my wife even more. Now, it likes to be doing a minimum of 80kph/50mph before going into 5th, which is stock, and a lower top means it gets more use for the riding we do. A lot of the gravel roads we travel on are 80-90 kph which means 5th doesn't get used now, and we stay off the highways unless really necessary, which is the only place it'll get used.

Which is better, A or B? Dunno, depends on how you use your DR. Both are tougher than stock, shouldn't break and change sweetly. If I had to choose, maybe as is, A for my 790 for me, and B for my wife who likes to plod along and doesn't attack terrain.

For ADV use, either of the wider ratio sets is an improvement over stock, with the B set offering even more versatility should slower more technical stuff be part of the mix along with highway use.

As it happens, we might get some more opinion today. HE650RS's old engine is to be transplanted this afternoon into a mate's DR whose engine is tired and a direct side by side comparison can then happen if we don't run out of daylight. Then his old engine will get rebuilt, most likely with a Nova box. He'll get the chance this afternoon to compare and decide which one.
  7. BergDonk

Oddometer:
    Here in Oz I happily use Hel braided lines, good stuff made to order and excellent service direct from them; https://au.helperformance.com
    JagLite, JRowland and Kaalsb like this.
  8. Kaalsb

Oddometer:
    Just what i wanted to hear, and the price is much better than galfer or others!

Edit: now that i scroll through the website, all of the photos show the same hose with no sheath. So i may have to take a shot in the dark and cut the sheath off if it has one.
  9. Mongle

Mongle Knuckle dragger

Oddometer:
    Not sure what you are talking about when you say sheath. Aftermarket brake lines usually have a plastic protective sheath on them..not meant to be taken off. Factory lines have an additional rubber/plastic sheath that isn't part of the line.
  10. Kaalsb

Oddometer:
    The additional rubber/plastic sheath seems be found on aftermarket lines too, i was hoping to find a brake like where i didn't have to cut that sheath off.

Edit: i see what you're saying, i can't just cut it off....
  11. Mongle

Mongle Knuckle dragger

Oddometer:
    Most of the aftermarket lines are much smaller in diameter than stock if that's what you want.
    JagLite likes this.
  12. Kaalsb

Oddometer:
    I just want a straight line with a 10mm banjo on each end
    dk1906787.jpg
  13. BergDonk

Oddometer:
    If you remove the sheathing from a stainless braided line it'll saw through whatever it contacts when sliding up and down. Like @Mongle says, the after market braided lines are normally much thinner than stock, and you may need to thicken them up for clamps etc, depending...
    JagLite, Mongle and Sonny S. like this.
  14. Kaalsb

Oddometer:
    I want this: dk1906787.jpg

Not this:
    51SP50Zlh2L._SX355_.jpg

I'm not trying to remove the clear jacket ontop of the steel braided wire, i want to avoid the black outer sheath because i am routing my brake line completely different than stock.

I need a 54" straight brake line with 10mm banjos of similar bends
    Mongle likes this.
  15. BergDonk

Oddometer:
    JagLite and Chip Seal like this.
  16. Mongle

Mongle Knuckle dragger

Oddometer:
    Understood now. I have only bought aftermarket for sportbikes. They have never came with an additional outer protective sheath. Only the clear portion.

I'm sure any of the aftermarket brake line manufacturer can make what you want.

Nothing but money! :D
    JagLite likes this.
  17. psmcd

psmcd Long timer

Oddometer:
    Seems Keeza did some different routing and had more comment on it in one of his posts. He might have a source. @kezzajohnson ?
    [​IMG]

https://advrider.com/f/threads/kezzas-dr650-rmz-fork-upgrade.1126303/page-4#post-29234673

drhippie2, Kaalsb and Mongle like this.
  18. sims159914

sims159914 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I don’t trust myself to diy this one. Any idea what I should ballpark a shop to install?
  19. sandwash

sandwash Long timer

Oddometer:
    If you can wrench and follow instructions, it's very simple. if you get stuck, stop and ask questions. I have 10k on mine and I took it apart and put it back together on my dirt driveway.
    Fishnbiker, JagLite, JRowland and 4 others like this.
  20. JRowland

JRowland reaching for the sky Supporter

Oddometer:
    A little in and out near the top of Round Mountain Rd. Map says Boomer Den Rd. The gravel ended there but there was leaf covered two track leading on beside a fence line. I was solo so I stuck to the “paved” roads.
    NC Rick likes this.