the DR650 thread

Discussion in 'Thumpers' started by sleepywombat, May 1, 2006.

1. JRowland

JRowland reaching for the sky Supporter

Oddometer:
    Today was some pavement fuel economy testing as well as elevation. 1800 to 5800 feet and I ended up at around 100 miles of pure abuse. I rode it like I stole it yesterday and today. 40 mpg. In the gravel yesterday and 45 today, straight trying to wear out tires and brakes. I usually ride an aggressive version of a pace on pavement. Not a lot of brake but fast turns, just fast enough you don’t have to use any brake but you think about it kind of pace. Yesterday and today was 9/10ths aggressive. Very low traffic back roads, I didn’t see my first car in my lane until mile 40. For those not from here it’s a lot of good pavement, up and down, and really tight curves. I stay in the mountains always. Not one hiccup, doesn’t feel to rich or too lean. I’m tempted to add a little more air but I’m content with how it ran. I’m thinking if I was still commuting to work on it I’d be right around 50 mpg. I love this bike! I’m used to dragging floor boards on a 900# Harley with my wife on the back, this thing feels like a bicycle and is so nimble. Also very impressed with these Shinko 244s, for the price I’m not gonna mind a rear in (my guess) 3,000 miles.

NC209 to 63

D58BA269-5A46-445F-A431-AFA8B3BD0EC8.jpeg

to NC 151 uphill

DD146EF7-DC2E-4687-92F7-1432EFE73283.jpeg

359840AC-DE65-4E84-A7DA-042624E701C3.jpeg

Blue Ridge Parkway

DB488274-B421-4FC2-AA1F-6797E97226EC.jpeg

87B2EA26-438A-4773-9AA5-041E33ADFEE6.jpeg
  2. JRowland

Oddometer:
    @Lil' Steve any pics of that awesome rocky desert riding from today?
  3. NC Rick

NC Rick Cogent Dynamics Inc

Oddometer:
    I do know that spot! There is a new house up in the farm field. Last time I was there I didn’t notice the graffiti. That 2 track your talking about is a real bear on the DR!
  4. JRowland

Oddometer:
    Show me. Is it what you like the KTM for? My wife will divorce me.
    NC Rick likes this.
  5. NC Rick

Oddometer:
    Dude, you get around!
    JRowland likes this.
  6. procycle

procycle Long timer

Oddometer:
    Center of the DualSport Adventure universe
    I imagine a shop would want to charge for 5-6 hours of labor.
    sims159914 likes this.
  7. stoney4vida

stoney4vida Semper Fidelis

Oddometer:
    Cogent Mojave and a 2020 calendar ordered today with a nice discount. Thanks
  8. Lil' Steve

Lil' Steve PussyWagon™ Chauffeur

Oddometer:
    I cant remember the last time I went out and didn't take any pictures, but today was that day. :baldy Maybe @cyberdos took a couple? I know there was at least one moment where @jskateborder had a one wheeled Kodak moment, but again, no pics. :(

This will have to do.

[​IMG]
  9. cyberdos

cyberdos Easy Bonus Loop ♦♦

Oddometer:
    I didn't take many pics either. It was a quick ride through (only logged 40 miles). Changed things up a bit from the typical kick in the nutz coke ovens ride. I actually enjoyed it more than the regular route which always has me munching on several Aleves and sleeping the rest of the day.

Although I said this ride was going to be a lot easier it sure started out ominous.

[​IMG]

:patch

[​IMG]

Things smoothed out and then most of the ride was B route with the exception of a few tricky hills.

[​IMG]

Devil's Backbone always a crowd favorite.

[​IMG]

The Talon looking like it was going to flip on its head.

[​IMG]

There were a ton of mud holes but we avoided most of them. It was a treat to have water flowing through Box Canyon.

[​IMG]

I wish I would have gotten a pic of @jskateborder launching that wheelie at the top of the hill climb. That was fantastic! :clap
    Hivernaut, JagLite, amp333 and 13 others like this.
  10. TrophyHunter

TrophyHunter Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    Glad to hear it smoothed out after the mummified bovine. WTH?
    JagLite likes this.
  11. Lil' Steve

Lil' Steve PussyWagon™ Chauffeur

Oddometer:
    :dunno Lots of weird things out in the desert.
    JagLite, amp333, TrophyHunter and 3 others like this.
  12. TUCKERS

TUCKERS the famous james

Oddometer:
    Villa Maria Sanitarium, Claremont, CA. USA
    Spring futz is easy. You put the springs on BEFORE you slide the stand over it's mount. You're welcome.
    JagLite, JRowland, MattR302 and 2 others like this.
  13. TUCKERS

TUCKERS the famous james

Oddometer:
    Villa Maria Sanitarium, Claremont, CA. USA
    I came up with what I think is an awesome NSU fix. Remove it and bin it.
  14. kezzajohnson

kezzajohnson kezza

Oddometer:
    Mine is the Aftermarket Galfer Braided line for the DR650 and was purchased from Procycle about six years back but with the black sheath removed now. I bought it along with some SM rims and Buchanan spokes to lace up to my spare hubs. I ran the line as stock with the SM wheels but when I retro fitted the RMZ250 forks and had sold the SM wheels (I wasn't using them), I looked for ways I could unclutter the dash area and the brake line the way it was was not flexible enough for me to get it to work in the same way as with stock. I investigated baja/rallye style routing of brake lines and decided to go that route. The line wasn't flexible enough to contort in the way that I wanted but rather than buy a new line, I simply removed the very stiff outer black sheath almost the entire length but left some on the lower end where it is clamped on to the fork protector and then flexes down to the caliper. I did this by very carefully, with a sharp blade scoring lengthwise down the shealth repeatedly getting a liitle but deeper with each run. Looking from the top, I could see the depth of the scoring and when I was getting close to the clear jacket over the braided line. Once I was nearly there, I split it at the top and then peeled the black shealth apart and away from the braided line, working my way down and just finishing the cut as I went down. I had scored a line around the circumference at the lower end where I wanted to leave the remaining sheath on and once I reached that, it just snapped away.

Lots of people said I'd get it hooked on trees and bushes but honestly, even under full compression of the suspension, it doesn't bulge out any further than the width of the Acerbis tank. I have since added the stock speedo cable guide (that was on the left side of the OEM guard and relocated it to use as a guide for this brake line setup. It's been successful and zero issues setup like this over the last 4 years. The vapor speedo sensor wire also goes along for the ride.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

This photo taken just tonight fresh back from a weekend ride (which is why the bike is dirty)

[​IMG]

No horrible 'in your face bouncing up and down' brake line over the dash.

[​IMG]
  15. procycle

procycle Long timer

Oddometer:
    Center of the DualSport Adventure universe
    The 2020 calendar is outstanding! Especially the wall calendar which has quite a bit of extra content. My crew (and customers) did a fabulous job with the photos :clap
  16. ER70S-2

ER70S-2 Long timer

Oddometer:
    :tb

Teryx wheels? Is the front and rear wheel offset the same or did the track change? :ear
  17. NC Rick

Oddometer:
    That looks fantastic. I had an Advil after reading it... the steer jump seems fine in the uphill direction. I’d be more concerned on the down hill approach. I can’t remember that as part of your ride description when we built the suspension and different valving but I can’t be sure without more testing. With enough desiccation, the obstacle shouldn’t be an issue. Soft and bloated, I’d suggest the stock fender over the goofy SM fender, just for health and safety.

beef jerky for lunch?
  18. NC Rick

Oddometer:
    Be sure to announce, we must have a proper welcome. It would be great to meet you?
    JRowland, AlH and WYO George like this.
  19. Rusty Rocket

Rusty Rocket Life behind "Bars"

Oddometer:
    That's the best solution IMO as well. I have had probably 30 bikes and only 3 had neutral lights. I could always find neutral regardless. As a matter of fact, no bike ever found neutral as easily as my DR
  20. WYO George

WYO George I have no idea

Oddometer:
    Absolutely!
    NC Rick and JRowland like this.