the DR650 thread

Discussion in 'Thumpers' started by sleepywombat, May 1, 2006.

1. Dalmatino

Dalmatino Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I didn't like the rocking so I did my own thing :D

thumbnail_IMG_20191118_161213.jpg
  2. yehaaa6

yehaaa6 Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer:
    fair! this is really cool! one day I hope to be able to weld well enough to do stuff like this.
    Nogoodnamesleft likes this.
  3. sarcoid

sarcoid Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer:
    Good luck with the move. Sucks about your friend. No matter how much I complain it's just Internet bull$h!t. I know how lucky I am. A very good friend has MS pretty bad and her husband is a wonded warrior. I can tell by my bs posts when I haven't seen them for a while.
    JRowland, jdub, Lil' Steve and 4 others like this.
  4. Fishnbiker

Fishnbiker Tire smuddy, hook swet

Oddometer:
    Campbell River, Vancouver Island, BC, Canada
    Between Rider Safety & Professional Driver courses, we were always taught to keep the engine in the middle third of its range, not lugging, not over-revving. Seems to make sense.
    Weldman, sarcoid, psmcd and 3 others like this.
  5. Fishnbiker

Fishnbiker Tire smuddy, hook swet

Oddometer:
    Campbell River, Vancouver Island, BC, Canada
    Don't yah just love picking up a luscious Red with an interesting label?
    [​IMG]
    Rick1952, JRowland and yehaaa6 like this.
  6. Dalmatino

Dalmatino Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I designed but didn't weld.
    The best part:-)

IMG_20191118_161046.jpg
  7. Nogoodnamesleft

Nogoodnamesleft Long timer

Oddometer:
    late to the party

i use this stuff, cleans out easily with turps.
    nice and tacky.
    it's blue coloured so it shows on the yellow funnel web.
    you can just make out some of the blue at the base of the peaks - btw, i consider that filter still pretty clean

i don't clean my filters often, but turps, then dry, then i give a squirt of oil and massage it in a thick, big plastic bag and squeeze excess out into the bag.
    then a dab of grease around the air box lip, a really light wipe / clean of a grease rag around the inside of the box and then store the plastic bag with excess oil for next time.
    the turps sits and then gets recycled.

<untitled> (2).jpg

<untitled> (3).jpg
  8. Nogoodnamesleft

Oddometer:
    i think the key to riding a harley fast is knowing it's limitations.
    some of my riding mates asked how i ride mine so fast, i just tell 'em i've owned it over 10 years and done over 150k on it.
    i know every inch of it and its weaknesses and whats needed to ride it fast

you grind through the floorboards, their mounts and too far is just on the brake lever pivot - not cool..
    my frame is ground and two exhausts in the roof as well.
    mine is also raised, but i just don't push it hard any more,
    i don't ride often enough any more, thats why i got the BM - it's easy to ride.
    and i got sick of rewelding the floorboards, and replacing the mounts and exhausts.. :D
    and they can eat tyres as well when pushed hard..

i might think i'm still good enough, but i know deep inside i'm not that good a rider anymore.
    i've owned all sorts of bikes from sports to cruiser to dirt.
    to ride a cruiser quick takes so much more effort and commitment by a long way, than any other bike.
    but if you ride them as designed - "cruiser" they're awesome.

IMG_3253a.jpg
  9. Nogoodnamesleft

Oddometer:

uhmm..
    what year is it over there atm.. :D

<untitled> (6).jpg
  10. TwoUpTourer

TwoUpTourer Long timer

Oddometer:
    First time I've seen anyone beside me with a Redmi Note, yours a 6, mine a 3, bullet proof and a great device. Half wish it would die so I could upgrade.
  11. NC Rick

NC Rick Cogent Dynamics Inc

Oddometer:
    What’s “Turps”? We have turpentine which is a oil/solvent made from tree sap or something. Same?
    Nogoodnamesleft likes this.
  12. NC Rick

Oddometer:
  13. Nogoodnamesleft

Oddometer:
    same..
    us aussies abbreviate everything.. :thumb

:lol3

i was scanning the rest of the pic, looking for your 28.8 k modem.. :D
  14. NC Rick

Oddometer:
    Surely you jest! Teletype is how I roll. I talk on the phone so little while grinding, upgrading to the touch tone phone seems silly.:D
  15. chethro

chethro Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I would like to hear any comments good or bad on the Parabellum Rally wind screen.
  16. Nogoodnamesleft

Oddometer:
    teletype you say..

10 print "Laugh"
    20 goto 10
    Run

no, you're not old at all.. :D
    Fishnbiker, NC Rick, sarcoid and 2 others like this.
  17. Copracer288

Copracer288 How hard can it be?

Oddometer:
    Well said.

You know, I’ve been through my share of bikes and I have a nice bunch now but the bike I can ride with the most skill and that I’m most comfortable with, BY FAR, is my work bike, a ‘13 Harley Police Electra Glide. I am more comfortable and more confident on that 900+ lb pig than my 260 lb Beta. Why is that? Seat time. Riding it every day and also training and competing with it (if you’ve never watched videos of “police motorcycle skills competition”, check some out). I know that bike so well that when I get on it, it honestly feels like a part of me. As corney as that sounds, it’s true. I know exactly how that bike is going to react to any control input in any situation and what’s more, it’s all instinctive.

We spend so much time trying to find that unicorn (and I am as guilty of that as anyone!) but if you just get a bike and put in the seat time, quality seat time with some good training, you would be amazed at how skilled you can become.

I really should take my own advice with my off road riding! :hmmmmm
  18. jdub

jdub Dawg bytes reel gud Supporter

Oddometer:
    When I lived in the DFW area years ago and was an MSF instructor, there were two DFW airport police officers as students in the experience rider course one weekend. Both were on their KZ1000 police bikes, and were required to take the MSF course as a prerequisite to becoming instructors themselves.

I'm sure for the reasons you stated, their skills were amazing. They entertained the rest of us during breaks when they'd practice their slow speed turns and side by side riding techniques. That's when I realized that motorcycle officers are likely the best trained riders that exist.

During one of our exercises, where each student was supposed to reach 20 mph before braking on my signal and then turning, one of them pulled out his radar gun while awaiting his next run. He'd call out everyone's approach speed, and yell "Get 'em John!" when anyone was either side of 20 mph. :lol3

Great fun that day; one of the best classes I ever had the pleasure of instructing. Another was the local women's HOG chapter, and that a whole 'nother story. :D
  19. Copracer288

Copracer288 How hard can it be?

Oddometer:
    I first went through the 40 hour police motorcycle certification 12 years ago on a BMW GS650 (our department had two of those for patrolling City parks). A year later I went through the course again on the Harley went I got accepted into the Traffic Unit. Those 40 hours are grueling and by the end you are flat worn out.

Several years ago I went through one of the toughest police motorcycle instructor schools in the country and it was, without a doubt, the hardest thing I’ve ever done in my life (and I’ve done some shit!). Since becoming an instructor I would love to expand the course to 3 weeks but honestly, I don’t think most guys could do it. It just drains you and wears you out. You would be surprised what we do with those bikes including fair amount of off road work.
  20. cyberdos

cyberdos Easy Bonus Loop ♦♦

Oddometer:
    I'm in heaven.

[​IMG]