1. eNewsletter Sign Up

the DR650 thread

Discussion in 'Thumpers' started by sleepywombat, May 1, 2006.

1. adam728

adam728 Long timer

Oddometer:
    Oil is a big deal. And by that, I mean a manufacture definitely does not want to recommend something that could increase warranty claims, or worse, cause excess wear or deposits that cause an emissions failure.

I've worked with a number of engine manufactures and witnessed a few oil tests. It's serious stuff. They might pay a 3rd party tens of thousands of dollars per engine to run durability. Or test 3 or 4 oils in house, across 50 or 100 engines per oil. It's not taken lightly!

And then in engineering half the time whatever is on hand in a weight that's "close enough" gets dumped in test mules, because "that's what the customer is going to do anyway."
  2. Donniejoe

Donniejoe Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I'll be glad when the weather warms up and we can talk about the stupid stuff we did while riding today.
  3. ER70S-2

ER70S-2 Long timer

Oddometer:
    Note that the DR has 'lazy' steering - the stock geometry has the forks well 'laid out'. If you get energetic, try raising the back end back to stock to see if it sharpens your steering. This is strictly theory on my part (and doesn't allow for the smaller front wheel) and if it induces a speed wobble, I'll deny ever thang. But if it doesn't you might have an exceptional canyon carver … maybe … :D We got men on the moon by taking chances, so are ya feelin' lucky - well, are ya?

Any second opinions? :ear

How did you drop 41 pounds from the 366 listed by Suzuki? Half a tank only drops 1.7 gallons, or about 12 pounds. Inquiring minds want to know. :lurk
    William Wolfen, NC Rick and psmcd like this.
  4. joenuclear

joenuclear Still here....

Oddometer:
    I'm not seeing your pics. Dunno why.
    Redfish Hunter and ER70S-2 like this.
  5. BergDonk

BergDonk Old Enough to Know Better

Oddometer:
    Annoyingly, a seeming random issue with Google pics. This one will work:

upload_2020-2-18_14-45-56.png
    JagLite and Nogoodnamesleft like this.
  6. OdinTheWise

OdinTheWise WOLVERINES!!!!

Oddometer:
    what is the average MPG you guys getting from the acerbis 5.3 and 6.6 gal tanks. i cant find good info on what the reserve point is for these tanks either.
    Anyone likes this.
  7. joenuclear

joenuclear Still here....

Oddometer:
    Yes it does!
  8. TaZ9

TaZ9 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    OK, I should be working on my taxes, but I like to use any excuse to put it off, so here we go. While looking through my photo files, I found some pictures of my DR650 "squealing starter fix" from a few years back. I know this subject has been cussed and discussed here many times, but the difference in the way I did mine is super simple and quick compared to many others that I have read where some have even removed the exhaust and the cam chain tensioner. The secret is you don't have remove anything other than the tiny bolts that hold the clutch cable retainer plate to the starter cap, the starter cap retainer bolts, and the lower oil line banjo bolt.

This is made easier by using a 1/4" drive handle that easily fits in the tight spaces. First remove the clutch cable retainer plate, then the starter cap bolts. Remove the oil line banjo bolt, being careful to save the copper washer, then remove the starter end cap (see photos). No worries, nothing will go flying when the cap is gently removed. You can now visually inspect the starter for debris or wear. If all is good, apply a small dab of grease in the end cap and re-install. Then attach the clutch cable retainer plate and the oil line banjo bolt and copper washer. Double check your work, and you're ready ride. If someone has previously posted this abbreviated method to fixing this problem, then lets get back to the usual discussions about oil, tires, and how much we hate winter weather.

Ride safe,

TaZ9

remove starter end cap with drive handle and socket.jpg oil cooler line removal.jpg remove replace end cap.jpg end cap off.jpg IMG0008.JPG IMG0005.JPG
  9. cyberdos

cyberdos Easy Bonus Loop ♦♦

Oddometer:
    I hate to interrupt such interesting oil debates but I have a matter of great importance to deal with. In my quest to replenish my much depleted 'tool' kit I am faced with a tough decision. While I'm certainly not a pretencios type of fella I do admit that switching to cucumber and tea scented does sound quite extraordinary.

My dilemma, of course, is that when I ran this idea by my wife she was intrigued by my sudden shift from beign normal to wanting to put cucumbers in my butt.

Made me second guess myself.

Attached Files:

10. Schmokel

Schmokel Key to Happiness: Low Expectations

Oddometer:
    I've got three cases, yes cases, of those in the closet. :D
  11. psmcd

psmcd Long timer

Oddometer:
    Rick shortened my Ohlins about 1/2" to stock length on revalve and service but I had been running it long for past 5 years with no ill effect. Only speed wobble I ever experienced was with stock suspension on washboard gravel.:eekers With proper springs and damping I think what you suggest would be a go.

JagLite, ER70S-2 and AK650 like this.
  12. cyberdos

Oddometer:
    On the 6.6 I'm getting around 225 miles to reserve. No idea how much to empty from there as I have yet to completely run out. 250 something was when I filled up last.
    yehaaa6 and AK650 like this.
  13. OdinTheWise

OdinTheWise WOLVERINES!!!!

Oddometer:
    what MPG you get usually. i am trying to decide if i want the 5.3 or the 6.6 and deal with the goofy looks
  14. cyberdos

Oddometer:
    Mid to upper 30s typically. 44 was the best I've recorded. I've been running stock gearing now for a couple of months.
  15. AK650

AK650 Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    Looks like an excellent job to me! And hell for stout. Also reminds me that I need to get longer bolts as well, as they stand off the bike a bit more than the stockers.
  16. cyberdos

Oddometer:
    ...and they do stretch a little.

Attached Files:

JagLite likes this.
  17. MattR302

MattR302 Awesomeness, Inc.

Oddometer:
    These stocked at the Suzuki dealer or the KTM dealer??
  18. Daniel3640

Daniel3640 Moto_Dans

Oddometer:
    Most I have done on my 6.6 is 520kms and still not hit reserve took 24 litres to fill r(I mine must be stretched ) reckon I could reach 600kms without to much drama. No idea what that works out in mpg but I'm happy enough.
    Nogoodnamesleft likes this.
  19. TrophyHunter

TrophyHunter Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    @cyberdos is riding a 790 kitted DR - this could effect things.

My DR650 has a stock carb, uncut airbox with snorkel still in it. GSXR "040" exhaust, no header weld grind. Loaded on the ID BDR and lightly loaded for daytrips at Moab - I got 52-56 MPG. I run the 6.6, so very safely 300 mile range. I had the 5.3 on my last DR but I never checked the MPG - highly modded.

I like the looks of the 5.3 better but I just wanted the "wonder what's down that road" extra gallon or so. Honestly, I haven't used it but it's also been nice to have on rides where others may be pushing their fuel limits a bit as a buffer.
  20. ADVBedouin

ADVBedouin fly pelican!

Oddometer:
    Agreed on the handling..the 18” rear & 805 tire combined w the 19” front steepened it & it feels sharper & more planted on turn-in..it’s likely psychological too.

I dropped @40 lbs by deleting everything I didn’t need, & weighed it on three different scales to be sure...kind of did it to see that a light DR is as capable as any of the newer bikes in twisties without all their hi tech efi/abs/tc bs, but mainly I just like a lighter bike.

I deleted the stock grab bars, rear fender/lic plate brkt, taillight, steel handlebars/bar ends, fork spacers, stock foot pegs & mounts, pass pegs/mounts, blinkers, mirrors, chain guard/sprocket cover, mounts, helmet lock & mount, stock muffler, speedo/cable, tool bag, all evap stuff & misc bits...stuff adds up.

I still want a (grey) Clarke tank, lithium battery, 7” round Hella...it friggin never stops.. :-/

wilfred, drhippie2, ER70S-2 and 9 others like this.