the DR650 thread

Discussion in 'Thumpers' started by sleepywombat, May 1, 2006.

1. psmcd

psmcd Long timer

Oddometer:
    Further undeeping. :D

drhippie2, Lil' Steve, amp333 and 5 others like this.
  2. Nogoodnamesleft

Nogoodnamesleft Long timer

Oddometer:
    :photog :photog :photog
    psmcd likes this.
  3. Precis

Precis Maladroit malcontent

Oddometer:
    Body's back home, but soul is in Central America
    Thanks for the thought, but I tried that a while back: sorry, but for the money, it's crap. 'Brightness' doesn't equate to 'good'. The issue is that the LED's light source is in the wrong place for both the shape of the stock DR reflector and the fluted lens. The Cyclops cost me about $90; I cannot now recall if I gave it away, threw it away or actually sold it; and yes, I tried all the 'twisting by 15 degrees' and 'bits of wire under one side of the fitting' fixes - and it struggled to be mediocre. Eventually the vendors - who did try hard - conceded that their product probably wasn't a good match to the DR's headlamp.
    Trust me, I've tried about a dozen alternative light sources and several 6" light-bars too. I have the luxury of three identical bikes and a deserted rural hilltop with no light pollution for comparisons. I'm looking for better penetration AND better spread, with at least a semi-legal low-beam cut-off. Greedy, I know - but my 2001 Aprilia Caponord had sensational lights - interestingly, with no fluting on the lens.
    Now I've got a couple of JNS's rectangular dual LED lamps fitted into two of the bikes: they have no fluting either, don't exactly fit the fairing and our early ones have a redundant (red) lamp in the centre, but at least they offer some spread and a legal cut-off; a third LED for high beam is thin and watery, so I'm looking at auxiliary lights for the distance illumination - and if you've seen the price of Denalis, you'll know I'm not trying to do this on the cheap!
    That said, I'm beginning to think that the only real solution to the crap OEM lights on Suzukis, is a BMW...
    JagLite and AK650 like this.
  4. psmcd

psmcd Long timer

Oddometer:
    Damn that place is purty. You could convert a grizzled desert rat.:tb

stoney4vida, NC Rick and JRowland like this.
  5. Bhart89

Bhart89 Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    I sold this
    88133EA3-5A85-4B7A-ACAB-0D3897F6697B.jpeg

To get this
    42586DAB-F909-4B3E-B058-834BCA034975.jpeg
    but I’m thinking of adding another DR because they are just that good.
  6. rwebell

rwebell Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    When I see the like that they are usually leaking some body fluids....
  7. rwebell

rwebell Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Tedeschi Trucks band are hands down amazing. Sad to hear about John Prine. He is a legend. RIP
    amp333, Ever Onward and JRowland like this.
  8. rwebell

rwebell Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I’m just whining. I’m proud of my boys and enjoy having them around. I am trying to get them through university without acquiring too much debt so I whine about the cost but I don’t begrudge anything. They work hard at school, jobs and on the farm and they are good with their hands, kind to others and have a good sense of humour....I think they take after their mom.
  9. rwebell

rwebell Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Keep your chin up. COVID sucks but the older folks are a tough generation. They have been through tough times before and know the true meaning of sacrifice. I know most of them would willingly sacrifice themselves for the sake of others. I just hope those of us who are younger and relatively healthy are willing to make some small sacrifices to prevent the elderly from getting sick.
    Rusty Rocket and Nogoodnamesleft like this.
  10. TaZ9

TaZ9 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    My daughter that lives in a nearby town is constantly checking on me and cautioning me to be safe in this risky Covid environment. To put her mind at ease I sent her this photo of me geared up for my ride, with caption "I am taking no chances, geared up so that no viruses, zombies or killer clowns can hurt me." DSCN9514 (2).JPG

Not many people out on the backroads, but one of the large elk herds were enjoying the lush grass at a nearby ranch. If the grocery stores run out of food...there are other options!:dukegirl

Ride safe,

TaZ9
    DSCN9538 (2).JPG DSCN9528 (3)-1.JPG
    drhippie2, JagLite, Ride Now and 15 others like this.
  11. William Wolfen

William Wolfen DR Guy

Oddometer:
    I do ok with my 30" inseam, but I have size 13's attached to the end of my legs...
    Nogoodnamesleft likes this.
  12. Sonny S.

Sonny S. Long timer

Oddometer:
    Oh I'm fine myself. I just feel for these folks that are in assisted living homes. The virus makes it's way in and before you know it a third of the people are dead. Family can't even visit. No doubt that's why Jeff got his mom out.
    Yeah they're tough but this virus is tougher when it comes to beating on their lungs and reducing oxygen in their blood.
    As for me and my little world not much is different other than not seeing Jennifer as much because she lives half way across the country. That's the sucky part for me. She's my ridding buddy too.
    I'm still working same as always and riding to work weather permitting, and a bit here and there. .
    Social distancing ? I'm antisocial anyway. I don't eat out much, don't go to bars, don't do any group stuff, don't really shop other than groceries anyway. Motorsickle parts too of course. I really couldn't even name the stores in my town that are closed. I know what business types of course.
    I'm definitely 100% grateful that so far my family and I are healthy and still getting paid.
    Tall Man, AlH, themandan and 7 others like this.
  13. Nogoodnamesleft

Nogoodnamesleft Long timer

Oddometer:
    The little one was just ok size wise for me.
    But the big adventure AT one just felt bigger again.
    By then I was also thinking cruise control, more power and torque for the street.. etc etc.. :thumb
    And selling the DR was never going to happen either.
    kbuckey and themandan like this.
  14. Precis

Precis Maladroit malcontent

Oddometer:
    Body's back home, but soul is in Central America
    The unfortunate deaths notwithstanding (and we all die, sooner or later) I'm looking at a silver lining to this Covid thing: I'm looking at a Reset button being pushed, on two fronts - Community and Capitalism.
    I'm a volunteer fire-fighter in a small community - yes, we were immensely involved in Australia's horrible fire season, but that's all largely forgotten now, by anyone who wasn't personally, directly, involved. Now, our concern is our own patch; I have a senior role in the Brigade and I've asked our people (there are 30 of us) to be aware of vulnerable folk in their immediate area: elderly, ill, single, whatever - particularly since many folk literally cannot see their neighbour's house. It seems that most everyone we've spoken to already has a support structure - family, friends, colleagues - who check in, check up, drop by with necessities. In many cases, the older folk will be effusively grateful our people made the effort, and often say ,"I never knew how many friends I had!" People looking out for people.
    Denied access to my gym, I now walk my dogs more - and I've spoken to more neighbours in the last two weeks than I have in two years: other people taking exercise, kids riding by on their bikes, young families have kid's tea-parties in the front yard. People talking to people - albeit it at safe social distances. People talking to People. My newly-transitioned son often comes along on the walks - always close, I've learned a lot more about his friends, his circle, his Uni course (two Bachelors degrees in 4 years and 30-40 hours casual work a week: wow! Not sure I could do that - now or then!)
    This virus has given us our sense of community back.
    In terms of business - well those that can, are working from home - so there's less traffic, the air is cleaner - and my managerial friends report that Productivity has gone up: people who leave home for work at 08.00am still do - but when a one-minute walk replaces a one-hour drive, they start earlier - and because they aren't hide-bound by routine, they work till a task is complete - and if that's 15 minutes earlier, or later, no-one minds. many people will return to their desks once dinner is done, kids are abed and the TV's off - and "make a start" on tomorrow's tasks; one managerial IT type suggests that his team is so far ahead on some projects, he will save $100,000 and not need to hire extra contractors to deliver on time, or that many team members will be getting lots of paid time off.
    And, we are realising that time with family and strangers, breathing clean air, walking the dogs - they are more satisfying, more important, than a new car or a bigger house. We are realising that the "influencers" and "celebrities" are not more important than the shelf-stackers, the truck-drivers and the folk who collect your garbage, but infintisimally less relevant. We are questioning why a muscle-bound drug addict who can run, jump and kick a ball but barely read is worth millions a year, when nurses and doctors are paid a fraction of that.
    We are reassessing our priorities.
    My wife employs a Respiratory Physician; she is petrified of this virus, and she said something chilling: "Within a month, we will all know someone who has Corona virus; within a year, we will all know someone who has died of it."
    Yes, people have died, are dying, will die and that is very sad.
    But leaders are emerging too: bullies and thugs are revealed for what they are, leaders are revealed by what they do: Jacinda Arden, PM of New Zealand, went hard, and early on borders, lockdowns, restrictions. So did Cyril Ramaposa, President of South Africa, who very quickly imposed a total lockdown of his 50 million countryfolk; their fatalities are in double digits; the governments of South America took decisive action, firmly and early - yet First World countries are being decimated.
    Reset button pushed? I think so.
    My Irish grandmother used to say that "A Stranger is just a friend you've haven't met yet..." so to all friends, please take care of yourselves and your families.
  15. shu

shu ...

Oddometer:

My opinion: if you're looking to put a skid plate on it, you're probably looking at the wrong bike.

I really like my Vstrom......

[​IMG]

..........but it's not a good choice for rough riding. Not much ground clearance, too heavy and wide, too soft in the suspension, too much nice stuff to drop repeatedly in the rocks, dirt and mud.

It's great for paved riding of any kind, two up travel, including some dirt roads, but it's not really made for harder bouncing around on jeep tracks etc.

..................shu
    kbuckey, Tall Man, wilfred and 5 others like this.
  16. rwebell

rwebell Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Good analysis NGNL. I have similar observations about my experiences in Afg and other places...people wonder why army buddies are close but you really get to see what folks are made of when you are in a life and death situation....the cool guy, the rich guy, the high ranking guy....none of that matters....true character transcends all of that superficial crap and surfaces the guys with real courage, integrity, self sacrifice....and humour...you tend to value those guys above all others.
  17. rwebell

rwebell Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    You’re the kid my mom told me to stay away from....he is a negative influence on your behaviour....
    themandan likes this.
  18. gofargogo

gofargogo Lurker, mostly

Oddometer:
    Phew! I finally caught up. I’ve been (mostly) lurking in this thread for years but I got behind at the end of 2019, and then 2020 has proven to be a sharknado of shitstorms, personally, professionally, and now sadly, globally.

I essentially had to lay myself off a few weeks ago, and after the scramble to try and find a new job (unsuccessful), and adapt to the new shelter in place rules, it’s taken me a while to settle into the new normal. Which meant, even while under employed, it’s still taken me nearly a week of putting the hours into catching up with the thread.

There are so many things I wish I had commented on, my sincere best wishes to Thump!, congrats to Eros on the new toy, commiseration and avid interest in the latest of Schmokle’s Adventures, appreciation of Bergdonk’s generous sharing of knowledge & wisdom, but especially to NGNL’s attitude and lightness here. The Pandemic has been hard for me to grapple with emotionally, and your post about how people deal with fear lifted a weight off of my chest. Thank you.

Since it’s nominally a DR thread, I’ve begun managing my mental health by taking a ride almost every day and it’s made a huge difference. I used to joke that riding was better and cheaper than a therapist but in light of where I was mentally a week ago vs today, I’ve found it’s no joke.

Yesterday I went out to dodge rain squalls along the Sonoma/Marin Coast. It’s an area I’ve been riding for...Jesus..almost 30 years now and early spring has always been my favorite time out there.

My DR is one of the very rare purple framed 790s, and I’ve been giving it extra attention over my 1100gs in case I have to start selling bikes to make ends meet.

IMG_1722.JPG IMG_1721.JPG IMG_1720.JPG IMG_1719.JPG
    bungen, hock2e, kbuckey and 23 others like this.
  19. BergDonk

BergDonk Old Enough to Know Better

Oddometer:
    Then there's sockets and sockets :D

Steve and Simon, aka @Precis and @Nogoodnamesleft talk about people being in challenging and changing environments. I know Steve has a military back ground too. I'm also aware many here have a military and/or law enforcement background and have seen far more than I of the stupid things people do, especially when under pressure. For me it was a brief stint in high school cadets, most of which I forget, but there were some things that come to mind like flying in a Caribou and UH1 and playing war games when we got pinged for using too much initiative and catching out the hierarchy. Also saw the best and worst in my career that included getting into interesting places like tunnels kms from the entry points, some down shafts 90 m deep, with no comms and only a few torches. Then there is the fire ground, especially on a bad fire day. Interesting to see how different people deal with stuff, and you soon identify who you don't want to have with you when things get complicated.

I've been to town today for a doc's appointment, me all good, and the supermarket. Things are different about town that's for sure. One thing I've taken note of is the advice of one of our GP inmates, shoes. Shoes? Yep, social distancing when talking and passing in the supermarket aisles etc is fine, with limited chance of fluid transfer to one's face. But it drops town and onto your shoes, which you then collect on your hands later. The message is to wash your hands after playing with your shoes when near others.
  20. BergDonk

BergDonk Old Enough to Know Better

Oddometer:
    Music. Mention of Johnny Cash reminded me of one of my all time favourite albumns, Roy Orbison's Black and White Night. I first acquired it on Beta HiFi, then VHS HiFi and latterly DVD. One of the all time best live recordings I've heard and the better your sound system, the better it is. Orbison's vocal range is incredible.

What about the support musos and singers? Bruce Springsteen, Elvis Costello, James Burton, Glen D. Hardin, Tom Waits, KD Lang, Jackson Browne, Bonnie Raitt, JD Souther, T Bone Burnett, Steven Soles, and Jennifer Warnes. Get the DVD and play it back on good equipment.

https://www.google.com.au/search?cl...ison+youtube&sourceid=opera&ie=UTF-8&oe=UTF-8

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Roy_Orbison_and_Friends:_A_Black_and_White_Night
    amp333, Sonny S., sarcoid and 6 others like this.