the DR650 thread

Discussion in 'Thumpers' started by sleepywombat, May 1, 2006.

1. BergDonk

BergDonk Old Enough to Know Better

Oddometer:
    :thumb
    procycle and AK650 like this.
  2. themandan

themandan Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I tried that, just get a "no entry" symbol
    Hivernaut and BergDonk like this.
  3. Precis

Precis Maladroit malcontent

Oddometer:
    Body's back home, but soul is in Central America
    Integral brakes worked on my Guzzi 45 years ago and you don't get much simpler than an air-cooled V-twin with points ignition....
    "Nothing New Under The Sun" department?
    JagLite, AK650 and NC Rick like this.
  4. themandan

themandan Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    They still work on mine, but then my Convert is 46 years old.:-)
  5. JRowland

JRowland reaching for the sky Supporter

Oddometer:
    One of my favorite Roy Orbison songs by my earliest crush.

JagLite, TwoUpTourer, amp333 and 9 others like this.
  6. NC Rick

NC Rick Cogent Dynamics Inc

Oddometer:
    Our V50 had that setup. Iirc the rear peddle worked the rear and one of the front disks with the other front run by the right lever on the bars as doG intended. It was pretty seamless for regular riding. Not ideal for high performance riding but a safety benefit for many.
    JagLite and Hivernaut like this.
  7. chethro

chethro Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I like the how the AT sits too. I even like the seat. Just be sure to read up on the fork issues with the base model.

The main reasons it went off my list is I don't plan on getting rid of the DR, so I don't need another dirt focused machine, I wanted tubeless rims and cost.

They are very nice bikes tho. So many nice bikes, but not enough cash and garage space for me.

I think I have made my decision. Looking at getting this MG V7 Carbon dark, if they still have it in a week. It will need things too. Taller seat, higher bars, windscreen, suspension eventually and some Agostini pipes. I can take my time and just add bits a little at a time. I'll start with the bars and a windscreen....

z2a.JPG
  8. Copracer288

Copracer288 How hard can it be?

Oddometer:
    I am not a fan of linked brakes on a motorcycle. The bike will, of course, react very differently depending on which brake is activated and/or how much pressure is applied to each brake. I want to make those decisions so the bike reacts the way I want it to.

Now, if you botch those activations, bad things can happen so I can see some safety aspect to linked brakes but braking effectively with a motorcycle is a skill (a set of skills really) and linked brakes prevents the rider from developing those skills. You can argue that braking with a bike that has linked brakes is it's own skill set (and it is) but counterproductive to developing good braking skills. IMHO of course.
    TwoUpTourer, amp333, kbuckey and 3 others like this.
  9. Schmokel

Schmokel Key to Happiness: Low Expectations

Oddometer:
    Dad's VFR has them. Pretty slick setup. He had a Nighthawk waaaaaay back when, and went to lock up the brakes. That damned bike wobbled all over. He sold it immediately. Went to the dealer and that was the first thing he asked about; brakes. They showed up the VFR. Rode it home that day. This was in...1999? 2000?
  10. NC Rick

Oddometer:
    I think once linked braking is combined with ABS and computers, it's probably an advantage for many. For sure it takes some more of the control from the rider. As riders, people have more powerful computers in our heads they happen to be much harder to program vs the soldered together, silicon based ones.
  11. JRowland

JRowland reaching for the sky Supporter

Oddometer:
    My favorite color combo! I hope it’s still there in a week too, I want to see pics in the wild :thumb
    JagLite, AK650 and chethro like this.
  12. boulet_boulet

boulet_boulet Long timer

Oddometer:
    If anyone is looking for a spare BST, there is one for cheap in the New England Flea Market.

No affiliation, caveat emptor, YMMV and all those things.
    JagLite, Klinc207, Sonny S. and 2 others like this.
  13. Hivernaut

Hivernaut Enthusiastic NewBie Supporter

Oddometer:
    Friends kid is doing traffic.
    Says his speeding count has doubled.
    People taking advantage of the open road.
    I'm glad he's doing htat and not domestics.
  14. spklbuk

spklbuk Long timer

Oddometer:
    I used to think I didn't be like linked ABS. One late summer afternoon on my FJR I was tucked and sailing low on one of WVs finest paved reaches. Just before the crest of rise and coming up on a Kroger cruiser I let off, mom fades well to the right with brake lights on and one wheel set into the gravel in the beginning of a tractor trailer-sized pull off and I fade left thinking she is pulling over. We are now past the crest. I continue with my plan and am milliseconds from getting back on the throttle as soon as her driver's side wheels are on the gravel. WRONG! With no warning, no signal, nothing mom hustles her mini-van square left! heading into a one-lane paved road hidden by the crest leaving me no quarter. I crank down on both whoa levers, distinctly feel the ABS pulsing and hear the rear squealing intermittently and find myself trying to decide the softest place to broadside her. My trajectory took me thru about 10-feet of gravel cutting short the square corner where the two roads met and I was now hoping for a low side into her rear wheel. Next thing I know I am riding up the one lane road parallel to mom's driver window and she looks over horrified as to where the hell did you come from and why are you threatening my babies! First time she had seen me!! I nodded, slowed, managed a u-ee at a turn out resumed course at a more sane pace.

Total technology takeover, near-zero Rider skill...linked ABS is why I can type this 15 years later. I became an instant believer. The whole scene replays in my head every time I pass that intersection; it was one of those experiences.
  15. Redfish Hunter

Redfish Hunter Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    My old ST1300 had a pretty complex linked braking system but it worked seamlessly and I rarely ever noticed it unless I was on the brakes HARD. For all of the ordinary braking everything worked like there was nothing extra happening. It was only there when the extra safety net was appreciated. It was linked front to back and back to front and even had an extra "master cylinder" pivoting off the left front caliper. It was not much fun at brake bleeding time.

My FJR has a much simpler and even less intrusive system. Again, during regular braking it is never noticed because it isn't doing anything. If I were to apply a LOT of rear brake there would be some force bled through to one set of pistons on the right front caliper. The FJR has ABS as well.

Should I feel guilty for having that extra technology? I don't. I am just grateful for anything that keeps me from crashing.

Riding my DR650 is a completely different experience, especially in the rain with the stock TrailWings. The TrailWings do NOT like wet pavement.
  16. Copracer288

Copracer288 How hard can it be?

Oddometer:
    ABS I like. I do prefer the option to turn each wheel on/off or, at least, the system on or off.

It's the linked braking I don't like.
    JagLite and BergDonk like this.
  17. William Wolfen

William Wolfen DR Guy

Oddometer:
    Yeah, mine is a '17. No adventure sports model til '18. I couldn't touch the ground on the ATAS. The extra suspension travel and seat thickness were more than I could deal with.
  18. Sonny S.

Sonny S. Long timer

Oddometer:
    It's absolutely insane. Especially on my way to work at 5:30am. I've seen people stopping at red lights then just going through them, left turns on red, lots of excessive speeding, tons of lane drifting. The other day coming home from work on the DR I was coming to a red light at an intersection and heard tires screeching behind me. Quickly let the clutch back out and shot to the right and partially around the turn. I was at an intersection with cross traffic and couldn't go straight. Some dumbass behind me wasn't paying attention when our light turned red. That one gave me chills.
  19. NC Rick

Oddometer:
    You guys are exactly right. When I’m thinking and on the track for an example, planned cool headed calculated brake control is critical to good lap times. EVERYONE can end up in an event where al that shit flies out the window and our reactions take over. The lizard brain program is important and can save the day if the survival reactions trigger the right algorithm. Fight or flight reactions can be really bad and turn on without planning or control. I have had a front row seat to rides doing this on the track and road with and without electronic intervention. I have no doubt that the specific outcome is vastly superior with the electronics I also know that many people failed to learn a lesson they may have needed while they were in a controlled environment at a reasonable speed.

weird and scary stuff has happened to me, sometimes I got luck, sometimes not. On a traveling bike, a tired or distracted rider and or unexpected circumstance will make that stuff worth while every time.
  20. Ever Onward

Ever Onward Older,Wiser, Smarter

Oddometer:

Just a friendly public service reminder. Now is not the time to be visiting a ER. Even if your area hospitals dont look busy, the services have been altered dramatically at many.

It might be best to avoid motorbikes in areas where todays erratic driving is cropping up. Their minds are elsewhere, most certainly not like typical " Motorcycles are everywhere " spring campain conditions of years past.

Like it or not, a cage is the best choice these days when amongst others.