the DR650 thread

Discussion in 'Thumpers' started by sleepywombat, May 1, 2006.

1. William Wolfen

William Wolfen DR Guy

Oddometer:
    Yeah, mine is a '17. No adventure sports model til '18. I couldn't touch the ground on the ATAS. The extra suspension travel and seat thickness were more than I could deal with.
  2. Sonny S.

Sonny S. Long timer

Oddometer:
    It's absolutely insane. Especially on my way to work at 5:30am. I've seen people stopping at red lights then just going through them, left turns on red, lots of excessive speeding, tons of lane drifting. The other day coming home from work on the DR I was coming to a red light at an intersection and heard tires screeching behind me. Quickly let the clutch back out and shot to the right and partially around the turn. I was at an intersection with cross traffic and couldn't go straight. Some dumbass behind me wasn't paying attention when our light turned red. That one gave me chills.
  3. NC Rick

NC Rick Cogent Dynamics Inc

Oddometer:
    You guys are exactly right. When I’m thinking and on the track for an example, planned cool headed calculated brake control is critical to good lap times. EVERYONE can end up in an event where al that shit flies out the window and our reactions take over. The lizard brain program is important and can save the day if the survival reactions trigger the right algorithm. Fight or flight reactions can be really bad and turn on without planning or control. I have had a front row seat to rides doing this on the track and road with and without electronic intervention. I have no doubt that the specific outcome is vastly superior with the electronics I also know that many people failed to learn a lesson they may have needed while they were in a controlled environment at a reasonable speed.

weird and scary stuff has happened to me, sometimes I got luck, sometimes not. On a traveling bike, a tired or distracted rider and or unexpected circumstance will make that stuff worth while every time.
  4. Ever Onward

Ever Onward Older,Wiser, Smarter

Oddometer:

Just a friendly public service reminder. Now is not the time to be visiting a ER. Even if your area hospitals dont look busy, the services have been altered dramatically at many.

It might be best to avoid motorbikes in areas where todays erratic driving is cropping up. Their minds are elsewhere, most certainly not like typical " Motorcycles are everywhere " spring campain conditions of years past.

Like it or not, a cage is the best choice these days when amongst others.
  5. Sonny S.

Sonny S. Long timer

Oddometer:
    I hear what you're saying. I really do.
    However, if riding to work makes me selfish and irresponsible then sorry if someone feels that way.
    I'm being careful, I'm taking back ways, I'm wearing an N95 mask at work all day and around people. I'm not going to stores without absolutely necessity. I sanitize everything at work before touching it. Brought my own coffee maker from home for my own use. Keep my own roll of TP to use at work and Clorox wipes. ( Yes I know the TP would get stolen ). I have a sign on my shop door at work requiring anyone entering to cover their nose and mouth with a mask before entering. Gotta be specific. Many just cover their mouth with the mask.
    I need to breath a little EO. Work with me buddy.
  6. boulet_boulet

boulet_boulet Long timer

Oddometer:
    Does that Clorox wipe feel like you ate spicy food the day before? Just checking.
  7. Sonny S.

Sonny S. Long timer

Oddometer:
    Yeah the stall handle and latch, then the toilet seat gets the wipe. Foot flush. You know we all do that.
    Not getting Clorox any closer than that
  8. thump!

thump! Adventurer

Oddometer:
    It might not work for all but I've found that when using the browser interface if I stop the web page from loading it doesn't continue to load ads. That's not an option in Tapatalk on my phone but on my VERY slow Aspire netbook (running linux + firefox) it's pretty effective.
  9. Anyone

Anyone Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer:
    @Copracer288 i agree with the purity and ideals of improving skill through traditional mechanics of riding.... that said, i have a recluse clutch in my husky 501 and that allows me to have fun in technical situations that would otherwise be frustrating/angering- by the reactions of the more skilled riders i was with at the time. Relying on the advancements of technology can be a dangerous game, but having them available can make life more enjoyable at times... of course imo.
    JagLite, drhippie2, psmcd and 2 others like this.
  10. JRowland

JRowland reaching for the sky Supporter

Oddometer:
    Priceless! My mind went right to the same place.
    BergDonk likes this.
  11. Sonny S.

Sonny S. Long timer

Oddometer:
    Well now we need to know. You live on the edge... Go for it :-)
    spklbuk, boulet_boulet and JRowland like this.
  12. JRowland

JRowland reaching for the sky Supporter

Oddometer:
    If I was into tossed salads...maybe.
  13. Copracer288

Copracer288 How hard can it be?

Oddometer:
    Don’t get me wrong. I’m not one of these anti technology guys. I can appreciate helpful tech as much as anyone. I just don’t like what linked braking does to the feel or handling. I agree there are scenarios where it can help or even save a rider and maybe the bikes I’ve ridden that have had it didn’t have very good versions of it. Not every manufacturer’s implementation of technology is the same.

In the end, I would just prefer to control that myself.
    JagLite, amp333, Anyone and 4 others like this.
  14. Ever Onward

Ever Onward Older,Wiser, Smarter

Oddometer:

I understand entirely. And like I usually say, its anybodys personal choice.

That said, I personally would not ride a motorbike under those traffic conditions in this day and situation. Just not worth the risk to me.

In my local area, the total population is about 7,000. Now due to stay at home orders, the traffic is very low even for that small population. But, I have watched this whole driving habits thing closely. As this lock down is evolving, peoples minds are wandering more and more as days go by. They simply are not thinking about driving while behind the wheel.

Im riding motorbike only 1 day a week and only if the weather is exceptionally good, and combineing it with a essential errand. Im on high alert anywhere near town, and dont let my guard down until Im all alone out in the country, and even then, when another vehical appears, I go on alert once again.

Am I being paranoid ? No. Im simply paying extra attention to this unique new set of circumstances to avoid any unwanted outcomes.

Besides, I kinda like my rusty minivan with the windows rolled down, loafin along in safety as the cassette deck cranks out some great tunes at " 8 " . :-)

JagLite, drhippie2, BergDonk and 2 others like this.
  15. fredgreen

fredgreen let's take it apart....

Oddometer:
    The problem is, too many folks ride well outside their talent level, ABS and linked brakes have pulled many of these riders back from the brink of extinction. Lots of people think they want unlinked brakes and abs until they are in the poop, then their minds are changed. I prefer to be able to choose which system I want, unfortunately on my S10, abs can’t be shut off easily. I think the new T7 has done away with a lot of electronic gadgetry, might be a fun test ride.
    JagLite, BergDonk, jdub and 1 other person like this.
  16. Hivernaut

Hivernaut Enthusiastic NewBie Supporter

Oddometer:
    That works !
    I have a pretty fast machine and didn't think I would hit it fast enough.
    but it's prob more dependant connection speed.
    Firefox anyway, those ads don't look too bad, related and somewhat local;
    I may buy a bikini, hair products though .. not so much.
    JagLite and Fishnbiker like this.
  17. Sonny S.

Sonny S. Long timer

Oddometer:
    So really we're handling it the same. Your one day per week essential errand you ride, weather permitting.
    My 5 day per week essential job I ride, weather permitting and I incorporate an essential stop if necessary.
    You're on high alert at all times.
    Me too or I'd not be able to tell my story :-).

It's all good. Breathing is dangerous these days.
  18. cyberdos

cyberdos Easy Bonus Loop ♦♦

Oddometer:
    We make fun of the ads down in JoMomma. If I turn ad-bloker on, I'll miss out on the fun.

When life gives you lemons, sell them on the street corner so you can buy blue fizzy drinks.
    JagLite, rwebell, drhippie2 and 6 others like this.
  19. Redfish Hunter

Redfish Hunter Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    And just exactly WHY? Why was your mind focused on the … On Sonny's butt?:jack

Some of y'all need to go for a motorcycle ride!
  20. Hivernaut

Hivernaut Enthusiastic NewBie Supporter

Oddometer:

. ScreenClip.png
    Fishnbiker and Sonny S. like this.