the DR650 thread

Discussion in 'Thumpers' started by sleepywombat, May 1, 2006.

1. Ever Onward

Ever Onward Older,Wiser, Smarter

Oddometer:
    True, but with one big difference. Traffic count. I would imagine you encounter more other drivers in a 10 minute period than I do in a entire day. Now multiply that by 5 and I personally consider that risk level a big nope in my book.

There's a reason I live in the places I live. To avoid high traffic counts. I have been doing it for decades whenever possible. I didnt even ride at all when I lived on the Gulf Coast of Florida. Waaaay not worth the risk. Bikers gettin run over or rear ended all the time. Its why I refuse to live in any big urban area.
    stoney4vida likes this.
  2. cyberdos

cyberdos Easy Bonus Loop ♦♦

Oddometer:
    That's the kind of logic my parents would use to try to get me to sell my motorcycles and drive the biggest truck that I could get my hands on.

I don't listen to them either.
    JagLite, drhippie2, kbuckey and 9 others like this.
  3. Ever Onward

Oddometer:
    Dont you mostly trailer to off road ride areas these days ? In a huge urban area, with a big truck, before ever swinging a leg over a motorbike ?
  4. procycle

procycle Long timer

Oddometer:
    Center of the DualSport Adventure universe
    Logic dictates that the enlightened person have both :deal
  5. Redfish Hunter

Redfish Hunter Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    And a couple boats too!
  6. cyberdos

Oddometer:
    I've had a 70 mile daily commute on a bike for the past 11 years. I'm currently working from home so that is out of the equation but only because I have that luxury. If I didn't, I'd be riding to work.

I tow the 2 stroke but unless the trailhead is an hour plus away, I ride the DR to nearby trails. I've stopped posting pics of my outings because people come down on me like I've killed their grandmother and gnawed on their babies. Even if I say that I truck the bike out they jump on "you shouldn't be out for anything non-essential" even though I'm riding out in the middle of the desert with nobody around for days.

Listen, I get it. life is all about risk mitigation and using common sense. "Mas sabe el diablo por viejo que por diablo" which translates to "The devil knows more due to his age than from being the devil".

You still gotta live though. Staying home afraid of everything is not what I would call living. Just stop going out there and licking doorknobs. They taste like shit anyway.
  7. Ever Onward

Oddometer:
    Let me state, Im not the safety cop. Do what you want. I honestly dont care. Im just smart enough to notice there is a obvious big shift in the way people are driving on the roads these days due to the pandemic.

If you choose not to react to that, its your choice. I FINALLY outgrew my "Young and naive " years about two decades ago. Life has been alot more hazard free ever since.
    BergDonk likes this.
  8. cyberdos

Oddometer:
    Good for you.
    JB™ and Sonny S. like this.
  9. Sonny S.

Sonny S. Long timer

Oddometer:
    Pretty sure we all have our own " risk level " Whether it's a sport, hobby, investment or the helmet we choose. Ain't it great we have choices ?
    Stay safe EO. It's a jungle out there.
  10. Hivernaut

Hivernaut Enthusiastic NewBie Supporter

Oddometer:
    You're the safety officer..
    Captain Obvious.
  11. spklbuk

spklbuk Long timer

Oddometer:
    I am a poster boy. Why I traded an FJR for a Tenere and subsequently sold the S10. I rode over my head one too many times on pavement on the FJR and dropped the Tenere offroad one too many b/c my head was up my Chlorox orifice.

Way easier to avoid stupid on a DR...well most days.

Pretty sure that by the time Mamma Yamma gets the T700 here, I'll be too old to care. Jsns.
  12. Ever Onward

Oddometer:

Im not comin down on you. Your reading this wrong ( same as you were down in Jo Momma ). Im just sayin , me personally, Im wise enough to see this is a situation like nothing we have seen in our lifetimes. It involves new situations and risks unlike anything in the past.

Im in no way afraid or paranoid. I simply see it for what it really is today, and adjust my actions accordingly. If you dont want my advice, thats your choice, ignore it. Do what you think is best.

Many of us here were like you Cyber when we were your age. I remember that vividly. But it didnt involve a medical / hospital situation that we have right now, here today. Thats the big difference.
  13. NC Rick

NC Rick Cogent Dynamics Inc

Oddometer:
    People going crazy is the big danger. Riding attenuates crazy. I agree, it's not a good time (as if one could find a good time) to be a motorcyclist drug to the hospital. Falling down the stairs at he house would also not be so great.
  14. freewheelin'

freewheelin' Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer:
    Whatever happened to Adventure?:hmmmmm
    drhippie2, NC Rick and Mongle like this.
  15. Ever Onward

Oddometer:
    Been there, done that for about 45 years as far as motorbikes go. Now, just cuttin back till things get safer. You folks are mighty triggered these days.

This pandemic is havin serious effects on some of your attitudes. :scratch

P1270071.jpeg
  16. Mongle

Mongle Knuckle dragger

Oddometer:
    Rode to work past two days...
    IMG_20200409_133247328.jpg

People are speeding because traffic is light and you can. Caught myself running 70 in a 45 last night ... Why? Because I am used to just following the line of cars all plodding along at 5mph under the speed. No one on the road makes my throttle hand heavy...
  17. cyberdos

Oddometer:
    We're the ones triggered? Got it.
  18. boulet_boulet

boulet_boulet Long timer

Oddometer:
    Oh man I laughed so hard at this.

Still am.

I needed that. :jack
  19. spklbuk

spklbuk Long timer

Oddometer:
    An oil and earplug tangent would beat all the covid-related banter. It is a big sandbox gents. Everyone play well.

Edit: @ER70S-2 to the white courtesy phone please. Wear your zebra shirt and man your whistle!
  20. Tall Man

Tall Man 129% of people exaggerate.

Oddometer:
    The Africa Twin was on my shortlist. It, and not the Ural, would likely be in the garage right now, but for the AT not having factory tubeless rims. A wholly avoidable error by Honda that still frustrates.

The Ural uses tubes, but that rig serves a different mission than what I'd have asked from the AT. More to the point, the Ural carries its own plug-and-play spare tire/wheel assembly.

I wouldn't mind tubeless rims on the DR, but I'm not so concerned that I'd be willing to chase aftermarket solutions of varying cost and effectiveness. Having changed a few tubes & tires on the DR, I now have the precise tools and curse words necessary to perform the task in a workmanlike manner. :thumbup

I've talked to a few riders who have also walked away from a planned Africa Twin purchase because of the tube issue.

During the afternoon commute a good long while ago, I witnessed what I believed to be an illegitimate left turn on red. A bit of research revealed that turning left on red was allowed when (a) traffic conditions allowed the turning driver to proceed safely, and (b) the turn occurred when proceeding from one one-way street to another one-way street. That's what I had in fact observed, so it was all good.