the DR650 thread

Discussion in 'Thumpers' started by sleepywombat, May 1, 2006.

1. procycle

procycle Long timer

Oddometer:
    Center of the DualSport Adventure universe
    Desperate times call for desperate measures...:lol2
    drhippie2, kbuckey, Mongle and 5 others like this.
  2. stoney4vida

stoney4vida Semper Fidelis

Oddometer:
    Bike is running good now I think but in the interest of science, on to first notch on needle and see what happens it is.
    rwebell, AK650, JagLite and 2 others like this.
  3. procycle

procycle Long timer

Oddometer:
    The thing is, a DR650 will run great when it's a little (or a lot) too rich. You can't really tell where you are on the rich/lean scale without tipping over a little onto the 'too lean' side. Ideally, you set it up as lean as it can be and still run great. Smooth and responsive. Then it will still run well everywhere you take it regardless of elevation.
  4. Ever Onward

Ever Onward Older,Wiser, Smarter

Oddometer:
    Dude !

You need to spend less time knockin you teeth out on roots and rocks and spend more time in quality beer stores ! :photog

Hamm's has been on the shelf all along , actually gettin more popular now. The new Hamm's light is the better of the two. Its not real good IMO.

Not worth the $ 15 for a 24 pak by my fussy standards. I would take a 24 pak of Blatz at $ 17 over the Hamm's any day of the week.

12oz_Can.jpg

0007336080301_1200.png
  5. NC Rick

NC Rick Cogent Dynamics Inc

Oddometer:
    I'm pretty sure it went out in the late 80s or something. Coors/miller bought the brand apparently brought it back. I did t know that. They used to sponsor the BlackHawks hockey games IIRC.
    SloSolo2, AK650 and Ever Onward like this.
  6. NC Rick

Oddometer:
    We like science but run on faith when needed. :1drink
    drhippie2, AK650, JagLite and 3 others like this.
  7. Ever Onward

Ever Onward Older,Wiser, Smarter

Oddometer:
    Might have.

I remember it well in the late 70's during my big Old Style years. I was a big Old Style Light fan back then when the recipe was GREAT !

Many, Many OS Light cans got emptied on da Chain - O - Lakes back then ! :lol3

I dont recall Hamm's near the Sconny / Illinois border in the 90's...... or anywhere for that matter. I think I have seen it in the northwoods for the last dozen years or so. Hamms light for like the last 2 years. Both are not like the old Hamm's. Much cheaper and a weird chemically taste. Not much of a buzz either.

Nope, for summer workin all day drinkin I vote Keystone light. For relaxed beer or two on a hot night with a few ice cubes in it watchin fireflys..... I vote Shitty Lyte !

https://pearlstreetbrewery.com/shitty-lyte-beer/
  8. stoney4vida

stoney4vida Semper Fidelis

Oddometer:
    My idea of high tech science is seat of pants feel the bike was running good and accelerating and pulling good up hill in 5 th gear roll on and, I noticed after today's ride with needle on 2nd notch my mpg went up and there was no black carbon build up on rear of muffler like previously with 3rd and 4th notch on needle. Curiosity will make me put it on 1st notch just to see where it's at.
    Hivernaut, AK650 and JagLite like this.
  9. procycle

procycle Long timer

Oddometer:
    That's a good sign. When well dialed in the inside of the exhaust tip will be reddish-brown not black.
  10. NC Rick

Oddometer:
    I managed white... I have seen that with race gas but on pump gas, I took it as a bad sign.
  11. Nogoodnamesleft

Nogoodnamesleft Long timer

Oddometer:
    anything but lite beer..
    That makes as much sense as caffeine free coffee.. :D
  12. psmcd

psmcd Long timer

Oddometer:
    drhippie2 and Ever Onward like this.
  13. TreasureState

TreasureState A murse posing as a freelance dirt rider

Oddometer:
    Went from the minor groove to the lagging strand
    Prevailing wind
  14. AK650

AK650 Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    New choke on the way from Pro Cycle. Ordered on a Sunday, got an email on same Sunday that they're on it, and shipping confirmation first thing this morning. Jeff @procycle if you read this, your guy Mike Baker is a rock star!
  15. Fishnbiker

Fishnbiker Tire smuddy, hook swet

Oddometer:
    Campbell River, Vancouver Island, BC, Canada

My vote would be to ditch the Parabellum. My personal experience with one wasn't on a DR but a BMW R100GS. Most of them seem to be designed for city type use with lower speeds. Lots of rain protection, but became very unstable over 80kmh at any angle, shaking the handlebars at times with lots of behind screen turbulence & noise. A smaller swept up one (actually, the top of the one removed from my Tiger) with a larger bottom air gap did a much better job, full stable wind on the helmet, no buffeting.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Same issue on my Tiger. A Secdem unit was better with the upsweep, but still not what I was looking for. I ended up with a small addition lower down with in front of the minimal stock screen with an air gap cut along the bottom edge to break up the low pressure zone behind the screen.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

I'm 6'0". On the DR I adapted a BMW F650 GS screen but still had issues with turbulence. I finally settled on a Screenz for Bikez (Australian) unit that I use on longer road trips. A larger air gap along the lower edge was achieved with rubber grommet spacers on longer screws that helps defeat the turbulence, best choice yet for me. The stock headlight fairing stays naked here on the Island where I do mostly under 90kmh gravel & don't want it damaged.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

In all 3 cases, the upsweep top & the bottom air gap were of great benefit to me.

Edit; as @Dumphead said "Sorry B-B, not as tall as you, but holy heck, when I got rid of my "adv" helmet with its big-ass visor, suddenly my ride was way more comfortable, both noise- and buffeting-wise.", the visor is another factor to consider, shorter is better at speed.
    Hivernaut, kbuckey, chethro and 6 others like this.
  16. Fishnbiker

Oddometer:

Seems to me the local name for it was the "Plastic Cow".
    TwoUpTourer likes this.
  17. Fishnbiker

Oddometer:
    What kind beer? Various strengths have differing densities.
    Nogoodnamesleft likes this.
  18. Fishnbiker

Oddometer:
    This was our "OLD STYLE", Labbatt's stubbies delivered in trucks like this...

[​IMG] [​IMG]
  19. TwoUpTourer

TwoUpTourer Long timer

Oddometer:
    That's it!
    Gotta wonder at the thought processes that made it all the way through the design phases that led them to think it was something that would captivate the public's imagination
    Fishnbiker and sarcoid like this.
  20. TwoUpTourer

TwoUpTourer Long timer

Oddometer:
    I graduated from the transverse V twin CX500 to the transverse V4 ST1100, which I loved for a long time. Haven't ridden it in the past year, mainly because I see so much more of our countryside from a DR650 than I ever could on the ST. Secondly the ST is so smooth that I go too fast on it. It is barely idling at 100km/60mph whetehr on my own or, um, twouptouring... :D
    So if I dial it a little more, I'm suddenly cruising at 140kph/90mph, and apart from the illegality of it, hitting a roo at that speed will be a real mess. Lastly, the Mrs now has her own Himalayan and no longer wants to sit on the back, so it's time for it to go.
    ST1100.JPG
    Anyone, AK650, BergDonk and 6 others like this.