the DR650 thread

Discussion in 'Thumpers' started by sleepywombat, May 1, 2006.

1. NC Rick

NC Rick Cogent Dynamics Inc

Oddometer:
    7-8 k of sliding is what you meant, right?:D
    JagLite, AK650, JRowland and 3 others like this.
  2. Sonny S.

Sonny S. Long timer

Oddometer:
    Ok buddy I got the front off. Let me get the rear off and I'll get you a shipping quote and they're yours KIMG1580.jpg
  3. tjb3w

tjb3w acorns and poison oak

Oddometer:
    @NC Rick what is your preference for rear suspension, linkage or no linkage? Why?
    drhippie2 likes this.
  4. NC Rick

Oddometer:
    The DR works much better with the link in place... :lol3

My KTM has no linkage. I like it that way because of the simplicity, reduced maintenance and somewhat better ground clearance (potentially). Is the linkage system Better? I would not notice a difference in my riding. The linkage allows for more tuning of rising rate? Maybe? I wouldn't change my decision between two bikes based on that factor. Same thing with roadrace bikesin my experience. I see guys who worry about some special link design along with shock changes and constantly fiddle with the "magic sauce" who get their butts handed to them by someone who just rides a bike that's stock in that respect. As always, when some modifications or factors add to your confidence it could make more difference than any real function.
    You didn't give me much context to go on. Get to know your suspension and set it up for you? Better riders than I may notice.
  5. tjb3w

Oddometer:
    Thanks , trying to decide between Husky or KTM 500 dual sport bike. In addition to my trusty DR650 (790).
    JagLite, NC Rick and AK650 like this.
  6. Rusty Rocket

Rusty Rocket Life behind "Bars"

Oddometer:
    I've had both styles of KTM suspensions PDS (Progressive Damping System) and linkage. Both performed fine. As Rick suggests, a better rider (expert racer) will know, but for dualsport riding either is fine. My current KTM (300xc) has a linkage guard that was a pricey add-on. and has less ground clearance. Not to mention that there are many more bearings and seals that need to be maintained. If it was my choice in your position, I would get the KTM over the Husqvarna because of simplicity and ground clearance. Good luck and either will be great bikes. I wish I had your dilemma. :D
    Anyone, JagLite, JRowland and 3 others like this.
  7. Nogoodnamesleft

Nogoodnamesleft Long timer

Oddometer:
    love July.

it’s the middle of our “cold” winter here..
    Yep. Gonna be a cold week for us.. :D

Perfect ride weather.
    I’m guessing you wouldn’t like our summer though..

14B162BE-A84E-45F1-8601-3C57D3B77621.jpeg

And those night temperatures for the week are actually considered cold for us.

lady in the supermarket yesterday actually asked me if I was cold without a jumper on..

love July.
    Fishnbiker, yehaaa6, JagLite and 6 others like this.
  8. Crocodile Tears

Crocodile Tears Powerful Truth Angels Supporter

Oddometer:
    I'm headed up to Marquette on the RT tomorrow for a weekend of camping near the lake. I hate the massive wildcard the lake presents - will it be warm enough for my light sleeping bag or will the wind randomly shift and I wake up in the middle of the night with 40 degree temps.

Granted, that's more likely up on the keewenaw than Marquette, but still hard to tell sometimes.
  9. tjb3w

Oddometer:
    Pretty much just dreaming. Getting too old to justify either one. My youngest son (54) just popped for the white one and I am a little jealous.
    JagLite, NC Rick, AK650 and 3 others like this.
  10. NC Rick

Oddometer:
    White is much better than orange.
    JagLite likes this.
  11. NC Rick

Oddometer:
    Perfect weather for me!
    JagLite, AK650 and Nogoodnamesleft like this.
  12. Crocodile Tears

Crocodile Tears Powerful Truth Angels Supporter

Oddometer:
    Are there any basic inspection tips / red flags to look for on the rear shock of these things prior to doing the DIY racetech rebuild that would preclude me from rebuilding my existing shock? This bike feels pretty soft, even for a DR, with around 20k miles.

Thinking about doing that and then the DDC kit up front, as it appears to be a pretty straightforward install.
  13. NC Rick

Oddometer:
    Don't wait until your younger! The 500 is a cool bike.
    JagLite, AK650 and JRowland like this.
  14. Ever Onward

Ever Onward Older,Wiser, Smarter

Oddometer:

I stand corrected.

July in AUSTRAILIA would be great !

However it simply sucks ass here in the lower 48 of the USA. :lol3
    JagLite and Nogoodnamesleft like this.
  15. Mongle

Mongle Knuckle dragger

Oddometer:
    IMG_20200701_175318496.jpg

That's in my shop with a 7 ton AC unit running. Metal building and the heated wash cabinet going in 90+ degrees and that is the best I got. Better than nothing!
    yehaaa6, AK650, drhippie2 and 3 others like this.
  16. Kbrew

Kbrew Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Well, I bought a set of pro taper 7/8 to 1 1/8 bar adapters. I was stoked to get this done so I could ride Friday. Like most things I have tried so far on the bike, there was a problem. I was going to put new grips on and I destroyed the old throttle tube trying to get the old grip off. No worries, a learning moment, I got a new throttle tube. Then I went to mount the bottom adapter on the stock clamp. I tightened it down as far as it would go and the pro taper mounts still wiggle? I thought they would clamp down to the stock clamps tightly then the new bars would sit in the adapters. Does anyone know if they should be tight or wiggle a little? Did I get the wrong ones, not made for dr650? They are universal so I assumed and assuming by me doesn't usually end up well.
  17. Mongle

Mongle Knuckle dragger

Oddometer:
    I've never used adapters, but I can't imagine they shouldn't be tight.
    JagLite and AK650 like this.
  18. tobiism

tobiism Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    If you're going to spend that much, spend a little more for the cogent DIY shock shaft. DDC's are awesome!
    JagLite, AK650 and JRowland like this.
  19. Nobade

Nobade Keep on keepin' on...

Oddometer:
    The new FLHR barn find has made it's way to NM. Now the learning curve can start (can't get parts from Procycle!) And the restoration can happen. It's been sitting in a barn for 5 years, I already pulled some of the mouse nests out. Once it's running I guess I'll need some pirate gear... 20200701_134052.jpg
    BergDonk, yehaaa6, JagLite and 14 others like this.
  20. Mongle

Mongle Knuckle dragger

Oddometer:
    Dude, you could have dropped that off in NC and saved hauling it 2000 miles. :lol3
    yehaaa6, JagLite, AK650 and 5 others like this.