the DR650 thread

Discussion in 'Thumpers' started by sleepywombat, May 1, 2006.

1. AK650

AK650 Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    For some reason, the last photo didn't attach correctly. More correctly I screwed up! here it is..........
    IMG_7050.jpeg
  2. boulet_boulet

boulet_boulet Long timer

Oddometer:
    That’s going to be an interesting DR science project. My 17” DSport rear tire barely barely barely cleared the swingarm. The tightness was primarily to the side. Let us know how the 18” mounts up.
    stoney4vida, AK650 and JagLite like this.
  3. Ever Onward

Ever Onward Older,Wiser, Smarter

Oddometer:

Nice ! :clap

Now THATS july temp thats worth riding ! Are there any bugs that high up this time of year ? I think down low at sea level its peak bug hatch, correct ?

I use a 48 tooth steel rear sprocket, there used to be ones made in Germany. Kientech used to sell them. They will create clearance issues with stock chainguards and also with stock chainguides. They do last a super long time though.

I run one along with a 16 tooth front. It was a experiment. Even the 16 isnt worn out yet. The lifespan is a huge increase over a stock rear and a 14 front and it seems to " Roll through" with more ease with the larger diameter sprockets.

It is however a trade off. Your rear is more suseptable to rock hits, the front is closer to the cases in the event of a chain failure, the chain spends more time touching the lower chain roller and the other clearance issues. However your swingarm rub guard will last forever ! :lol3

I think my next experiment will be a 15 x 45 gearing, assuming I can find a high quality steel 45 rear.

The 14 front was a cheap try, I liked the ratio, but didnt like the roll thru or the sprocket wear. It also ate into the swingarm protector.
    drhippie2, stoney4vida, AK650 and 3 others like this.
  4. Klinc207

Klinc207 To PERU!

Oddometer:
    It's alive! First 350 mile weekend 2UP a couple weeks ago. New tires, bearings and rotor yesterday made it feel like a new bike. Let the shakedown begin!

IMG_1955.JPG IMG_1958.JPG IMG_1952.JPG
    BergDonk, River Rat, yehaaa6 and 20 others like this.
  5. kezzajohnson

kezzajohnson kezza

Oddometer:
    Just for a comparo, this is a brand new D606 -130/90/18 on my 18 inch rear rim with chain adjuster snails set on 3. About 10 mm from the front of the swingarm and about 4mm from the right hand side of the swingarm.

It can be tyre dependant too as I recall BergDonk saying a Motoz Desert 130/18 with the cams on 3 needed some shaving of the side knobs for clearance.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

With the shock removed, swingarm compressed to maximum extension of the linkages (raising links fitted), there was plenty of clearance underside - except for the little plastic guard that shields the OEM tool tube - I have just pulled that away with a zip tie.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
  6. Redfish Hunter

Redfish Hunter Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    My determination to wear the OE Trail Wings out is still strong. At a total of 16.5 boring commute miles per day, this may take a while.

4BAB4F03-8C5E-4C2D-A1DE-1B04B136002B.jpeg
    dcwilcox, yehaaa6, -spam- and 9 others like this.
  7. Ever Onward

Ever Onward Older,Wiser, Smarter

Oddometer:
    Just run 65 MPH on hot ass pavement for a long stretch at a time in wonderfull July conditions ! :lol3

It you select especially abrasive pavement thats exceptionally dark color, thats even better. :D
    yehaaa6, -spam-, stoney4vida and 3 others like this.
  8. Rusty Rocket

Rusty Rocket Life behind "Bars"

Oddometer:
    I guess I should have mentioned that all my suspensions have been sent out to be tweaked. So I can't really compare how they are in stock condition.
    AK650, JagLite, NC Rick and 1 other person like this.
  9. NC Rick

NC Rick Cogent Dynamics Inc

Oddometer:
    790 kit will eat those tires in short order. Best to have an attorney on retainer considering your commuting miles...
  10. spklbuk

spklbuk Long timer

Oddometer:
    I walked around corner into shed to retrieve a water hose this morning, my DR snorted an unkindly but deserved "peckerhead."

But I couldn't resist posting this for @JRowland. This sir is a truly elusive "Dirty Myrtle" raspberry still a few days off ripe. So named after Mrs. Myrtle, former co-proprietor along with Mr. Speckle Buck, of my place. She was a consummate southern lady and everyone's favorite 2nd grade teacher. The vine came up wild and since noticing it a few years ago, I have nurtured it into a fair to middlin' stand. Here's to you Mrs. Myrtle.
    [​IMG]

Apologies for the distraction, back to the regularly scheduled programming...
    JRowland, stoney4vida, Kbrew and 9 others like this.
  11. bkoz

bkoz test

Oddometer:
    :thumb

No wonder you were burning through cush bearings. That is WAY out!!!

I wonder how many other riders with early cush hub bearing failures have chain line alignment issues???

That is what sucks about the snail adjusters. You cannot fine tune chain alignment.
  12. NC Rick

Oddometer:
    That would be an issue in sticky mud. I guess it would power through and be self scraping. Id personally worry about sticks and rocks. I have had mine eat some like that. I really thought about going with an 18" on mine so I'm interested in the option. I narrowly ruled that I'd go with the 17" based on seat height and that the tires I fell are best for my riding are actually more available in 17". I'm not sure I made the right decision so I like watching others experience. Thanks for sharing!
    stoney4vida, AK650 and JagLite like this.
  13. bkoz

bkoz test

Oddometer:
    A few more things to think about.

Personally, I find the PDS goes through lower shock bearings very regularly. YMMV

And the Husky has the composite subframe which I have seen riders break....
  14. Rusty Rocket

Rusty Rocket Life behind "Bars"

Oddometer:
    Ignore your linkage at your own peril

My photo of shame. From the KTM 300 thread I waited too long to pull things apart. (skipped a season)
    This bolt goes through the clevis on the frame just below the swingarm pivot.(XC linkage) There's no way to get a swing at it with a hammer and drift to drive it out. It's behind the bracket for the sidestand. It was stuck in the bearing sleeve. (rusted) You can hit it inward, so that was all I could do. So I cut off the head and then drove it in and cut some off, then repeated this till the last piece was out.
    Don't wait too long to re-grease things. Lower bearings in a PDS shock are a bit easier :-)[​IMG]
  15. Redfish Hunter

Oddometer:
    That is not Good News. At least I am saving $$ by not wearing out and replacing tires.
    yehaaa6 and NC Rick like this.
  16. drmiller100

drmiller100 Long timer

Oddometer:

My bad. I like Rick a lot. I appreciate his posts. I meant to write nothing negative about Rick.
    I meant to encourage people to use the ignore button more.
    JRowland, yehaaa6 and drhippie2 like this.
  17. Redfish Hunter

Oddometer:
    No sir, I think you misunderstood MY intent. I was saying that the post that upset Rick (and I think upset you) may have not been meant to offend, may not have been as bad as it looked at first glance.

None of us ever write anything negative about Rick. Some of us because we like Rick, some of us because we want him to build our suspension systems...

At any rate, it is good to see you posting here a little bit. You make this place better.
  18. shu

shu ...

Oddometer:
    @Porky
    Wow! Incredible mileage.

I have run 3 sets of those tires (came on my bikes, not by choice) and averaged 2500-3000 miles on a set.

I actually liked them on the street, not so much on trails.

..............shu
  19. JagLite

JagLite Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    I would try a Supersprox.

[​IMG]

https://www.supersproxusa.com/
  20. NC Rick

Oddometer:
    That lower bearing is the first one to go on the linkage systems too. the forces are remarkably similar in most of both systems. on the DR, its the first to go because of the small size, high load and exposed position. 100 hours on mine so far in wet conditions and Im still good.
    bkoz, JagLite and AK650 like this.