the DR650 thread

Discussion in 'Thumpers' started by sleepywombat, May 1, 2006.

1. bkoz

bkoz test

Oddometer:
    Yes, you can use the tool to determine chain alignment.

But you are still stuck with the notches on the snail adjusters for adjustment. One notch is a fair amount of movement.

On my to do list is to grind off the notches. That way chain sag and sprocket alignment can be set bang on.
    JagLite and AK650 like this.
  2. chethro

chethro Been here awhile

Oddometer:

Beautiful sunrise or sunset?
    JRowland and AK650 like this.
  3. chethro

chethro Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Well I didn't make it to my "Is there a road here" way point. Clutch started slipping bad. I didn't think I was going to make it home. It's not the free play this time. I checked that last night. I think I just got it hot going too slow. I didn't take any bad roads today, so I wasn't feathering the clutch any and it wasn't slipping when I started out this morning. Anymore I always give it a high gear test at the beginning of every trip.

I'm going to tear into it when she cools down. IIRC some have just put Barnett springs maybe just 3 in with good results. If anyone has any suggestions please chime in. I will inspect the plates just to be sure.

There was actually a deer standing in this old barn!

IMG_1213 (2).JPG

I don't think I can make it up this road...

IMG_1221.JPG

IMG_1223.JPG

IMG_1226.JPG

IMG_1220.JPG

Saw quite a few turkey and deer today.

IMG_1209.JPG
  4. NC Rick

NC Rick Cogent Dynamics Inc

Oddometer:
    Not Magura, those use mineral oil.
    Ever Onward likes this.
  5. NC Rick

Oddometer:
    Thats my chain of choice too. I don't worry about it breaking and wrecking my cases (talk about "false economy"). I like the gold colored ones because they don't rust as bad with 0 maintenance. No pressure washers should be used on a chain under any circumstance except for if you don't want dirty hands cutting it off to dispose of it.
  6. spklbuk

spklbuk Long timer

Oddometer:
    They drain it every year to allow it to fill over the winter so Charleston doesn't become the lake!
    They flooded the town of Gad.
    For some reason officials decided Gad Dam wouldn't work!
  7. Weldman

Weldman Long timer

Oddometer:
    Summers in southern Va are humid as hell. The mesh jacket does it for me as well. Pockets, armor, and I actually ride cooler than if I wore just a t-shirt because the sun is not radiating directly on my skin.
  8. AK650

AK650 Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:

I figured that you and/or your better half would know the Krepp's bridge!

More great photos as usual, and very sorry to hear of your loss. Nothing like a bike ride to clear the head, and figure things out.

Have a great 4th!
    Tall Man and JRowland like this.
  9. NC Rick

Oddometer:
    If my "snail" adjusters were off, I would have to know why. "Snail" welded to the axle off center or are the pins on the swing arm not correctly located?
    Tall Man, JRowland and AK650 like this.
  10. procycle

procycle Long timer

Oddometer:
    Center of the DualSport Adventure universe
    The free snail is a loose fit on the axle. That doesn't help.
  11. Ever Onward

Ever Onward Older,Wiser, Smarter

Oddometer:

First things first. Exactly what oil has been run in the fiber clutch plates ? Second, were the fiber plates deglazed before installation ?
    JRowland likes this.
  12. Ever Onward

Oddometer:
    I have no alignment issues with mine. Snails set the same, side to side. I do however make sure each one is well seated against the pins. I set the snails, lightly snug the axle nut and then use a hammer and a small 2x4 to reseat both the axle sides before tightening some more. I tighten the nut in stages like this, and keep making sure the axle has been driven toward the front of the bike each stage. Then a final torque.

BTW, I am NOT a fan of the self locking axel nut. I use the old school notched nut and cotter pin. The self locker seems to like to spin the axel at the worst possible time when tightening.
  13. chethro

chethro Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Stock plates, never out. Yet!

First oil change at 240 miles with non synthetic Rotella T 15W40 JASO MA

Then I went to Rotella T6 Synthetic JASO MA
    at 840 & 1765 miles

Currently at 2760 miles.

I appreciate any insight you can give. I will disassemble later this weekend and measure the plates and springs. Oil is black right now and was honey colored before the last ride about 120 miles ago. I didn't check it before this ride, so I'm not sure if it was dark or not. Neither of these last two rides were hard rides. I did do some WOT top gear blips after the last ride and this morning and I didn't notice any slipping. It seems like this all happened today. I spent most of today at 20-30 mph on easy gravel roads just cruising.
  14. boulet_boulet

boulet_boulet Long timer

Oddometer:
    I noticed that last night. I was installing new spacers in the rear axle and double checked my chain alignment with the MotionPro tool, something I do not often do. Things were not aligned, so I tried adding +1 on the slack side. Still off. I was confused (something I often am!) until I noticed that the slack on axle on the right side nautilus. I evened up the indents, applied pressure to the wheel, re-tightened and got lucky as things were aligned. This could have been part of my early bearing failure problems.

Also, the aforementioned spacer replacement was striking. The old spacers were banged up somehow and the new seal is now remarkably tighter. The inside edge of the old wider one was chamfered and the smaller one, the new one has a small lip that was absent from the old one. I also double checked my axle and it rolled nicely on a machined surface, my skate sharpening table, so that should be good for now. I am going to keep a close eye on the situation for a while and if any clickiness comes back, I'll be doing another bearing-pendectomy preemptively. Parts are on the shelves...

These machines are a lot of fun when they work and I keep breaking mine. I did decide to add RV and motorcycle assistance to my AAA membership after being stranded again. That's $28 I wish I'd spent a week beforehand, as they have a 7 day embargo on using the benefit.
  15. belleringer

belleringer standing on the pegs

Oddometer:
    dallas, but a long suffering dolphins fan
    AAA RV MC is a bargain ... one tow pays for the annual cost; i like you learned this the hard way when the tow guy informed me i had only 15? 'free miles' before they started the mileage counting ... also, AMA has breakdown assistance but i've luckily not needed to find out .. AMA is worth it for all of us, as they are the only national right to ride voice for us two wheeler folks ..
    JagLite and kbuckey like this.
  16. Ever Onward

Oddometer:

Well, that rules out wrong type of oil issues. So under 3000 total miles on stock plates, correct ? Oil has gone from fresh honey color to black in only 120 miles. That sounds unusual.

Wide open throttle top gear runs should not be any issue. Drain the oil in a super clean container and inspect closely in direct sunlight. Also note the smell of the used oil.

Check for clutch cable freeplay and watch the actuator arm down on the cases for how and when it operates in relation to the freeplay.
    AK650 likes this.
  17. Ever Onward

Oddometer:

You may have stumbled upon a alignment issue. Use the method I posted a few posts above, then use the motion pro tool to verify alignment. If everything is right, then its possible a misalignment occures if you dont use my method while tightening the nut. I noticed it when I first got my DR. Unlike other bikes where the snails both float independant of the axle, the DR style is welded to the axle on one side. You need to be careful you dont twist the axle when tightening the nut, and keep seating the snails in increments as you tighten the nut.
    JagLite and AK650 like this.
  18. JRowland

JRowland reaching for the sky Supporter

Oddometer:
    Set, it sure was. Why I don’t go up there more often for that is a mystery.

I just learned that, the mesh jacket thing. I read it, a guy told me about it, I just never had one. I got one this winter on sale and I absolutely love it. It’s way better than just a T-shirt almost all of the time and it has armor.

I’m new to chains so usually in this situation I just keep my trap shut and listen. But, once I saw @BergDonk chain thread and i adopted the rag pulled in the sprocket I don’t have any issues with the self locker spinning the axel. Your method seems much more complicated, what am I missing?
  19. tobiism

tobiism Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Hey buddy do you have a link to the BergDonk chain thread?
    drhippie2, AK650 and Redfish Hunter like this.
  20. Ever Onward

Oddometer:
    Dont know ?

Its not complicated at all. Takes a bit more fuss than just tightening and hoping everything stays the way you thought, but insures everything is seated and in the right position.

The rag pulled through the chain and sprocket assures you have the sprocket side pulled tight in the snail adjuster on that side. You then need to be sure the other side is also all the way forward and snug on the snail.