the DR650 thread

Discussion in 'Thumpers' started by sleepywombat, May 1, 2006.

1. Nogoodnamesleft

Nogoodnamesleft Long timer

Oddometer:
    AK650, Ever Onward and Lil' Steve like this.
  2. Fishnbiker

Fishnbiker Tire smuddy, hook swet

Oddometer:
    Campbell River, Vancouver Island, BC, Canada
    My experiences with DEET have left me very averse to use it again. Working the BC north coast removing a telecom radio station. A month of black ties & mosquitoes left me with near mortal wounds because the DEET 90% left the whole crew with runny bowels, itchy lungs, & dissolving plastics on anything we touched, drinking cup, phones, furniture, vehicle parts. Nope, not ever again. Avoiding them or using a long sleeve shirt works best without chemicals. Getting down the mountain at the end of the day included using a CO2 fire extinguisher to flood, then close the truck cabin, suffocating any bugs inside. We could see them lying everywhere. After finishing clean up we would open the windows, & drive like hell to avoid their friends' revenge.

Our best avoiding them after work was to go salmon fishing every evening (June sunsets up there were around 10:30~11:00 pm), No bugs 3 miles offshore. Came back with 60 lbs of salmon flllets & some 30 lbs of halibut to help assuage my itchy skin.

This shirt has been everywhere with me. Works great on mozzies ...
    [​IMG]
  3. BergDonk

BergDonk Old Enough to Know Better

Oddometer:
    Excellent forks, they are stock on my older FE501 from 1998. Not light, as mentioned, but unsprung weight is very light FWIW.

In the meantime, I'm just back from a week on the road.

upload_2020-8-6_18-2-55.png

upload_2020-8-6_18-3-59.png

upload_2020-8-6_18-5-3.png

Attached Files:

4. SloSolo2

SloSolo2 Long timer

Oddometer:
    I have a special affection for it. One of the most memorable labs of Organic was making nn diethyl m toluamide. If you think it smells in the can you should smell it in process.
    TreasureState and NC Rick like this.
  5. Ever Onward

Ever Onward Older,Wiser, Smarter

Oddometer:

Deet has very high toxicity.

If you apply it to your bare skin ( your skin is the biggest organ in your body ) it gets absorbed into your entire body's system. :deal
    AK650, stoney4vida and JagLite like this.
  6. Ever Onward

Oddometer:

Gives a whole new visual to the term " Big piece of shit mosquito's " . :lol3
  7. Ever Onward

Oddometer:

If you have to use deet, apply it only to your clothes, not your skin.

I know several long time loggers with permenant nerve damage from using alot of deet over the years. ( many also have lyme disease from deer ticks ).

I found Natrapel from a logger actually. His lyme disease doctor told him to switch over to it. Now alot of the logging crews have gone to it or its equal.
    JRowland, AK650, stoney4vida and 5 others like this.
  8. Dumphead

Dumphead Errand boy (sent by grocery clerks) Supporter

Oddometer:
    Can confirm. I used 100% DEET this summer. Applied it twice, both times in the evening -- and both mornings after, woke up feeling like $#!+. Like, as bad as some of my worst hangovers in my drinkin days.
    JRowland, AK650, Krons and 3 others like this.
  9. Ever Onward

Oddometer:

OK, now we all agree, there is some wacky shit down under in OZ.

But something instantly caught my eye in the pic......... ( first, understand the word " Nads" in america means testicles ).

Nads for men hair removal creme ! :imaposer

Well.............. now that I think about it, maybe its better than shave creme and a razor for the sake of the family jewels safety ! :lol3

And here is a good beer tip. Buy the sixxer of 1664. I think you will be impressed if you like that style euro beer.

Sorry to hear the situation at your local pub. You are not alone. Similar problem here.

All indoor pubs in michigan are closed....... BUT........ they have a loophole. They can have outdoor pubs. So now, many have tables outside like a picnic party. Since there are only half as many operating, and they are packed, elbow to elbow, mixed in with tourists from city hot spots, all not wearing masks, the covid positive numbers have tripled here locally in the last 2 weeks.

The outlook is NOT good.

Sadly, I see no way to safely hold a ADV tour now. It will have to wait for quite a long time. I do my own thing entirely with no contact. I have my gas , food, and drink supply at home.

I stop no where around people, and dont go indoors at places. Its far more dangerous than it has been so far now.
    AK650, stoney4vida, BergDonk and 3 others like this.
  10. Ever Onward

Oddometer:
    I had to save my late father in law once.

He was working down in the bilge of a 50 foot boat on the engine. He had put on a shit ton of deet a hour before. He was trapped with the fumes down there and was REALLY wonky when I found him.

I got him up and out, but he was weak and loopy. Took him to the little emergency clinic. They sent him to the hospital the next day for tests. The results were some sort of toxic shock.

He switched to " Skin so soft " for repellant after that. This was before I knew of Natrapel.
    AK650, stoney4vida, Krons and 3 others like this.
  11. Redfish Hunter

Redfish Hunter Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    I have never been sick from using DEET products. I can say with absolute certainty that there are many, many shotguns in South Louisiana with an ugly, cloudy, sticky finish on what were originally beautifully finished wooden stocks because of DEET. The original "Off" brand mosquito repellant we used in the '70s would instantly attack anything plastic and would ruin the clear coat on a wooden stock. Pop and I always thought that if it was bad for the bugs it had to be bad for us too, we just needed a larger dose than the bugs.
    drhippie2, JRowland, Krons and 3 others like this.
  12. SloSolo2

SloSolo2 Long timer

Oddometer:
    On a related note Sunscreen will attack paint as well, especially interior automotive or lesser coatings. I had a couple pair of Costa sunglasses that the paint peeled off the temples almost immediately after wearing them with sunscreen.
    JRowland, JagLite and Redfish Hunter like this.
  13. boulet_boulet

boulet_boulet Long timer

Oddometer:
    One thing to keep in mind about DEET and premethrin, etc. is that it does not play nice with Gore-tex. I'd really like to douse my gear with the latter as tick repellent but don't because of this concern.
    https://www.outsideonline.com/2314296/can-deet-kill-your-waterproof-jacket

I use some natural stuff made by a dear friend. It smells nice and does an ok job, but then you (and your clothes, sleeping bag, etc.) smell like it for the rest of the day, trip, etc. In case you're interested, here is the stuff.
  14. NC Rick

NC Rick Cogent Dynamics Inc

Oddometer:
    9DA4C674-1AB3-4CE2-96C7-B9FB3076E639.jpeg
    old speckled hen = @Lil' Steve ? Don't know why that has a ring to it from some memory channel. Blue arrows are my safe zone. Red x = piss water. :D
    JStory, JRowland, AK650 and 5 others like this.
  15. Ever Onward

Oddometer:

OK, now Im seein the picture.

First was the brake fluid based beer, now your huffin DEET ! :photog

My next advice to Nogood was gonna be try the Lowenbrau. Shame on you for red x'in Red Stripe ! Its the go to beer at reggae partys ! :dutch

Try the Singha original also. Sapporo is another good choice and kinda unique.

Stay clear of Tiger and Tsingtao. :sick
    Nogoodnamesleft, JagLite and NC Rick like this.
  16. NC Rick

NC Rick Cogent Dynamics Inc

Oddometer:
    Singha goes well with a nice green Curry chicken, particularly when you don't trust the water :lol3
    AK650, Nogoodnamesleft and Fishnbiker like this.
  17. Fishnbiker

Oddometer:
    Seems like they may belong to the "When all else fails, read the instructions" club. Yep going into another environment is a steep learning curve. :nono
    AK650, Nogoodnamesleft and JagLite like this.
  18. Fishnbiker

Oddometer:
    It's well into bear season here with rivers full of spawning salmon. 2 or 3 across the river (on the side with no human trails) is common right now. I usually see at least one bear every backroads ride, or each time out fishing the river.

At our local salmon hatchery upriver a couple hundred metres from a favourite fishing hole, 10 minutes from my home ...
    [​IMG]

Which reminds me; going fishing today after Thursday lunch with the "Old Farts Bikers"

Edit; after a huge cheeseburger for lunch we went up to the hatchery area where I landed & released 6 Pinks in 2.5 hours. A great day.
  19. Lil' Steve

Lil' Steve PussyWagon™ Chauffeur Supporter

Oddometer:
    No idea, I've never heard of that one.
  20. tomski74

tomski74 Silesian American Supporter

Oddometer:
    $12.50 USD for a 6pack!?! It's $8 here and $4 in Czechia. You guys are screwed :)
    AK650 and NC Rick like this.