the DR650 thread

Discussion in 'Thumpers' started by sleepywombat, May 1, 2006.

1. AK650

AK650 Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    I sold my F800GS and got a DR650. No regrets whatsoever.
  2. Tigershark48

Tigershark48 My other BMW is a Roadster.

Oddometer:
    Pretty hard to use shoe leather on 110,000 acres of ranch land. After driving to a potential vantage point, we crawled on elbows and knees over prickly pear to get our shots and they looked very relaxed when we pulled the trigger. No running shots required, but definitely long. 250 yd site-in, then shooting approx 1 foot above the shoulder. We practiced before the hunt hitting a 1 ft cardboard box at 100 yd intervals to learn the target size in the scope. That really paid off.
  3. royjmcc

royjmcc Adventurer

Oddometer:
    You're an Idiot!
  4. Tigershark48

Tigershark48 My other BMW is a Roadster.

Oddometer:
    The more I read here and the DRRiders forum, the more I'm convinced that the DR will be the one. Test rode one a few weeks ago and it was cold with full choke for the first half of the the ride. That was the high speed stretch following the salesman so, hard to form an opinion. From there, we hit a slower stretch with curves and bumps, which were very impressive. Next ride in the spring will be mostly highway. The SMC R I rode is faster, but it's way more than I'll ever need. Lots of fun, but overkill. On the plus side, it had TC, ABS, Brembo brakes, tubeless spoked wheels, fuel injection and superb build quality (beautiful). Over $12k to own. However, with that, comes complexity and potential issues.
    JagLite, Sonny S. and AK650 like this.
  5. AK650

AK650 Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    Completely agree. We also accessed the hunt area via a vehicle, and then completed the stalks on foot. What I meant by "hunting with a pick up truck" is just that. They basically chase them around, and shoot them. Not my idea of hunting, or a proper way to treat venison.
    JagLite, Tigershark48 and Fishnbiker like this.
  6. Fishnbiker

Fishnbiker Tire smuddy, hook swet

Oddometer:
    Campbell River, Vancouver Island, BC, Canada
    That song was on the charts when I was riding around Andalucia, Spain on a BMW R27 250cc. Made a great ear worm. Thanks for the flashback ...
    [​IMG]
    Kbrew, Nobade, Tritwin and 12 others like this.
  7. XT Traveler

XT Traveler Long timer

Oddometer:

I sold both my F800GS and my DRZ400S and bought a DR650 and for me it was definitely the right choice. I strongly considered the KTM 690 Enduro and rode one a couple of times but ultimately I liked the simplicity, ease of doing my own service and maintenance, of the DR and it just felt more relaxed than the KTM when I was riding it. Additionally, increasing the fuel capacity which both the DR and KTM needed for my intended use was much easier and less expensive on the DR. The DR of course is cheaper which was nice but because I was selling two bikes and only buyng one, cost wasn't part of my decision process. I did do the Cogent suspension upgrades on both the front and rear which was defintely money well spent. Net, the DR was a good decision for me.

TaZ9, JagLite, AK650 and 6 others like this.
  8. JRowland

JRowland reaching for the sky Supporter

Oddometer:
    I think the KTMs you mention are really nice machines. I made the right decision for me with the DR. I really like the reliability, simplicity, and ease of use plus it doesn’t have “rider aids” which I personally like a lot. Have fun on the hunt, post some pics here of whatever you decide on. If you hang out here for a bit you’ll find that the DR community is priceless and that’s definitely a huge pro in my book.
    JagLite, AK650, Tigershark48 and 5 others like this.
  9. worncog

worncog YBNormal Supporter

Oddometer:
    Bert said you have been showing him the better parts of NC. It shows. I'm jealous, only because I am on a short leash for now.
    JRowland and hock2e like this.
  10. Bhart89

Bhart89 Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    Does anyone know what year the Cush rubber sloppiness issues started appearing? Was it around 2018?
  11. NC Rick

NC Rick Cogent Dynamics Inc

Oddometer:
    I prefer more constructive posts.
    JStory, Nobade, TreasureState and 9 others like this.
  12. sandwash

sandwash Long timer

Oddometer:
  13. SR56

SR56 Long timer

Oddometer:
    Thanks bkoz. IMO some of those carb mods should "theoretically" help but everything is a compromise so they may hurt something else...like you said.
  14. SR56

SR56 Long timer

Oddometer:
    All depends on what you want...DR is simple and reliable with good performance where the KTM is complicated, higher performance, and has potential problems that go along with any higher performance machine...IMO. Both great bikes but opposite ends of the spectrum.

Maintenance intervals are shorter with the KTM...as with any high performance machine. I have owned both and at this point in my life I prefer the DR. When I was younger and rode faster I preferred the KTM.

Not sure how much help the 690 forum is but I will say the DR forum rocks :D!
    wilfred, JagLite and JRowland like this.
  15. JRowland

Oddometer:
    Whenever the leash gets dropped I’d love to meet you. I just fell into an impromptu ride with Bert and another FL guy Kvango as soon as they get over here lol.
    NC Rick and TrophyHunter like this.
  16. Redfish Hunter

Redfish Hunter Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    My 2018 definitely has it. I bought it new and within a couple hundred miles I had slack.
    PC IN BNE and Bhart89 like this.
  17. SR56

SR56 Long timer

Oddometer:
    Bhart89...I can vouch for the '18 having a lot of clearance. Pulled my wheel for the first time a few days ago and my bike has about 3K miles on it...the rubbers look perfect, the splines that fit into them look perfect but a good bit of rotational clearance.

My plan is to shim the spline that fit into the rubbers with shim stock, Pepsi (no Coke i.e. Saturday Night Live) cans cut for shim stock, or something similar that I can match to the shape of the splines fairly easily.

If anybody else has a recommendation on a "fix", I am all ears :ear:lol3.
    JRowland, JagLite and NC Rick like this.
  18. tobiism

tobiism Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer:
    If it were me and my bike I would probably switch the rear wheel for an older model and an older cush drive. OR I'd order up a new Warp 9 wheel with cush.
  19. JRowland

Oddometer:
    It was interesting to me that my 2019 needed shims but the 2020 is tight. I used a a cut up oil container and scissors but the “fix” (for me) was Derek at MotoLab lol.
    JagLite, AK650 and drhippie2 like this.
  20. bkoz

bkoz test

Oddometer:
    IMO, and many will disagree, is to leave the BST/air box/pipe totally stock except for adjusting the air screw richer. It will run fine, get good mileage and have less issues with surging.

Once you start swapping pipes, cutting air boxes etc, it's time for a pumper.
    Nobade, NYTrainer, drhippie2 and 2 others like this.