the DR650 thread

Discussion in 'Thumpers' started by sleepywombat, May 1, 2006.

1. sarcoid

sarcoid it's a granular thing Supporter

Oddometer:
    Can anyone recommend a replacement for the blinker/horn/hi-low beam light control? Ordered a choke cable remote from ProCycle to give me some more handle bar space but the plastic is attached to that control housing.

All the measurements I found for the Protaper Evo bars were longer than stock but they are not.
    JPEG_20201023_183925_5677297509814233844.jpg
  2. BergDonk

BergDonk Old Enough to Know Better

Oddometer:
    If you don't want the choke lever on the switch block any more, it can be cut and ground off easily enough, I've done a couple. Alternatively, pretty much any lhs switchblock with switches you like the look of should be able to be hooked up OK.

[​IMG]
    Ride Now, wilfred, washout800 and 7 others like this.
  3. sarcoid

Oddometer:
    Thanks BD. I thought about cutting and grinding but I know it will look like complete garbage when I'm done and hopefully it would still work.
    JRowland likes this.
  4. kezzajohnson

kezzajohnson kezza

Oddometer:
    They are ready now. Send them an email.
  5. B.E. Coyote

B.E. Coyote (Super-Genius)

Oddometer:
    Anybody got pics of tusk olympus bags mounted on tusk racks on DR?
    tus_20_oly_pan_bag.jpg
  6. Tigershark48

Tigershark48 My other BMW is a Roadster.

Oddometer:
    Thanks for all the responses on the 690 SMC R vs. DR650. I just spent a good chunk of today reading the KTM 690 sub-forum. Most posters paid the entry price, then dropped upwards to $2k or more modding and repairing them. I'd rather start $5000 lower in that process. I'll do a longer DR ride in the spring before I decide, but at this point, I can't see it being any other bike. I just need to sell my F700 first.

The best description I can make after riding both is that the KTM is more busy and nervous, while the DR is capable, but more relaxed. The KTM would win hands down if I were 40 years younger. At 71, the DR should be perfect and that's not suggesting it's an old farts bike, just a better fit for me.
    Slow Joe, kbuckey, sarcoid and 16 others like this.
  7. Sfcootz

Sfcootz Necessary evil Super Moderator Super Supporter

Oddometer:
    :stupid

We're not in Jo Momma. Play nice.
    JStory and sarcoid like this.
  8. procycle

procycle Long timer

Oddometer:
    Center of the DualSport Adventure universe
    AK650, sarcoid, worncog and 2 others like this.
  9. Mongle

Mongle Knuckle dragger

Oddometer:
    Obviously, a new (to you) machine needs trammed. But, also check if it stays in "spec" moving the head for and aft. Then check the table at extreme ends of it's run. Then checked with x locked, then y, then both. Then bolt down the vise and tram off the vise. Make notes. It can help later should you be trying to split red hairs.

I used to tram after every job. Then I would need to put lead in the head for fly cutting. Always seemed like I was tramming before and after. Now, I just leave a note for myself where it is set...or try to.
    Nobade, themandan, AK650 and 2 others like this.
  10. bkoz

bkoz test

Oddometer:
    I believe most guys either drill the slide or mess with the spring. Messing with the spring accomplished nothing on my bike except money out of my wallet to buy a new spring.
    Nobade and BergDonk like this.
  11. Rusty Rocket

Rusty Rocket Life behind "Bars"

Oddometer:
    JRowland and sarcoid like this.
  12. sarcoid

Oddometer:
    NC Rick, AK650, JagLite and 2 others like this.
  13. JagLite

JagLite Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    I think the KTM slogan says it all, "Ready To Race". :rilla

And we were, back then. :lift
    Many (most?) of us were ready to race 30, 40, or 50 years ago. :jkam

The faster you ride a KTM the better it is.
    At my speed it must be terrible! :p3rry

That's why I ride a DR. :ricky

:hide

And a TW :evil
  14. JRowland

JRowland reaching for the sky Supporter

Oddometer:
    Pop fly ride with Kevin (Kvango) and Bert today near me happened from another thread. I love this place! I showed up to meet, never having met Kevin or knowing what he rides. Well he rides a 2009 450 whosyourdaddy.

37B659FF-F34B-4831-B1D9-6B8307813F52.jpeg

So today I was on the “big” bike.

43E896A2-5F6E-44FD-9FA6-E21D2B5A6E8F.jpeg

I had no idea exactly what I was going to get these guys into until I saw the Berg. Hurricane Creek, Baby Heads, Martha Sundquist, kind of the most technical stuff I have that’s legal. I had a fire under my ass (surprise), it almost bit me a couple times but luckily I did not fall over today.

37143444-F240-4042-9D2E-21EE74FB1165.jpeg

52C1742E-19CC-417A-8208-F03C2DBF9655.jpeg

B33B8A82-8B57-40EC-92FD-9824F4737AF1.jpeg

714FAF41-FA88-4C7D-9E9E-3261FCF4910D.jpeg

24033B83-3F56-44B1-BAB2-CBEAA396E59F.jpeg

39306099-AFBF-49F3-A388-C3082D84F506.jpeg

I call this one baby heads, @NC Rick calls it Jeep trail. I decided today his name is more fitting.

FC2DE8B4-40D6-4100-8E07-A61FD178A0EB.jpeg
    Kbrew, NC Rick, Mongle and 18 others like this.
  15. bkoz

bkoz test

Oddometer:
    I believe a lot of my issues with the BST were based on my riding area which includes plenty of elevation and weather changes. And the throttle always felt disconnected from the engine.
    sarcoid likes this.
  16. Rusty Rocket

Rusty Rocket Life behind "Bars"

Oddometer:
    I think that's what he was saying.
    Tall Man, procycle, AK650 and 5 others like this.
  17. bkoz

bkoz test

Oddometer:
    I have made this part of my winter maintenance on all my E-start bikes.

Pull the starter, tear it down, clean, buff the commutator with some scotch brite, inspect the commutator windings/solder, inspect/measure the brushes, check the brush springs, inspect the pole shoes, lube, reassemble.

Both my E-start bikes do not have a back up kick starter which makes it worth my time to PM the starter.
    Tall Man, JagLite, AK650 and 4 others like this.
  18. AK650

AK650 Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    Thanks @Mongle , really appreciate your wisdom on this! I trammed the head last night. I did it per the factory manual, in that I set it so the front of the table is .0005" high compared to the rear of the table. The manual suggests this to compensate for the knee dropping in the front slightly, when the weight of a vice and work piece are added. Don't know if that's proper or not, but will give it a go. Also ran the X-axis to the extreme ends, and both ends start to fall away/sag starting about 6" from the end of travel, and gradually build to just under .002". The Y-axis is really in good shape. Running it front to rear, it's at .0005" or less. I failed to lock any of the axis' when I did this, so I should do it again with locks, as you suggest. Checked the TIR on the inside taper of the R8 spindle, and it's under .0005". Just a hint of needle wiggle, when I grab the spindle and yank on it. Seems to be a pretty sound machine for being 42 years old. Got the vise all cleaned up this evening, and should have the rebuild kit from Kurt early next week. Ordered the rebuild kit( only $12! ) this morning, and had a shipment tracking number before lunch. Outstanding service from those folks. Before the rebuild, will be taking it out to a friends shop, as he generously offered to teach me how to run his surface grinder, and clean up the vice, and match it to an extra vise he's willing to part with. Looking forward to that! Will be nice to have a matched pair, when working on long parts. Thanks again for the tips!
    NC Rick, Mongle, JagLite and 5 others like this.
  19. Sfcootz

Sfcootz Necessary evil Super Moderator Super Supporter

Oddometer:
    Yes. I am agreeing with NCRick.
    NC Rick, SloSolo2, JagLite and 7 others like this.
  20. TreasureState

TreasureState A murse posing as a freelance dirt rider

Oddometer:
    Went from the minor groove to the lagging strand
    Hello DR faithful, from 150 pages back. Have been trying to catch back up again since early July - wow, what a summer.

I have heard that the flea market is like confession for hoarders - this prompted me to think of posting my Safari tank. I used it to ride to Deadhorse this summer where it gives the Bush Pig some loooooong legs for sure.
    20200615_214203.jpg

I will get around to posting it over the weekend, but if anyone here was interested in it let me know (it is not going anywhere). Happy to work with whomever where ever they may be preparing their Mighty DR for its next adventure.

I swapped back to the stock tank for now, most of my riding is <100 miles from the house anyhow, and the rotopack can get me back to civilization again should I linger on the hundreds of miles of trails we are blessed with around here in Central Montana.