the DR650 thread

Discussion in 'Thumpers' started by sleepywombat, May 1, 2006.

1. NC Rick

NC Rick Cogent Dynamics Inc

Oddometer:
    After careful consideration I have decided to decline your kind offer :lol3
  2. SloSolo2

SloSolo2 Long timer

Oddometer:
    I was never competitive thus the slo in slosolo2 but it's usually helpful to look at local results for the class you want to run and see what cars are doing well and how many people you'll have to play with. You can't name a car that someone wouldn't have a complaint of or criticism about so just like the DR you need to understand what you are trying to achieve and choose accordingly.
  3. NC Rick

Oddometer:
    On our local auto cross site, the big fast Corvettes are not what set the fast times. Miatas, some tricked out little Honda’s and fast WRXs are the quick cars. If there is a good shifter cart there, it will normally carry the night.
  4. sandwash

sandwash Long timer

Oddometer:
    Too far away to see them good about 6 deer, one with a good size rack. They are pushing the campers further into the forest, they are saying that they are to close to the city limits. I guess in case something happens fire wise it's to close to the city that they don't want it on the door steps. I wonder why there was nobody there where they use to be.
    C4BB4DDF-1E42-4E05-932C-E5EC0DC34A16.jpeg
  5. SR56

SR56 Long timer

Oddometer:
    "Mustang is a non starter due to the weight"....well that never stopped me before :lol3. You mean you have to have brakes AND turn left/right :imaposer?

All of your points ARE very valid but there is something about the sound of a V-8 and being able to break the tires loose any time you feel the need...lap times are something else entirely :D.
    JRowland and JagLite like this.
  6. SR56

SR56 Long timer

Oddometer:
    What does "NEED" have to do with making a good decision :lol2.

I think you made an excellent choice, I would have bought it as well and I definitely don't need it :-).
  7. tominboise

tominboise Long timer

Oddometer:
    You are right - I should have said the V6 Mustang. The V8's are better due to moar power and sound like it, too. GT350 is on my short list for my next autox car.
    JRowland, JagLite and NC Rick like this.
  8. NC Rick

Oddometer:
    :-)
    This is my dilemma. Race seats, roll bar, suspension… all -$. Selling it before i get stupid +$
  9. tominboise

tominboise Long timer

Oddometer:

For sure - my comments about the Miata are relative to the OP's mention of tracking the car. He didn't mention Autocross - I brought it up as a reference point from my experiences. The shifter carts and mods will always be the fastest raw times, but that's where classing comes into play. Miata's will always do well at autocross and there are many, many of them entered at the local, regional and national events. The V6 Mustangs - not so much at the regional and national levels.
    JagLite likes this.
  10. SR56

SR56 Long timer

Oddometer:
    THANK YOU to all who contributed to my Miata/Mustang diversion and provided info on the DR250 tail light discussion as well. I plan to go test drive some vehicles...that should help :-).

Here are links to the DR250 tail light at Pro Cycle:

A. https://procycle.us/product/255-brake-light-taillight-250-conversion

B. https://procycle.us/product/242-clean-your-backside-tidy-taillight-kit-procycle

Back on the DR....this is a link for a 520 front sprocket (13-16 teeth) with an extra wide spline contact area...just in case you are running a NON cush drive hub and/or want to ensure you don't wear your countershaft. It is offered by "Fritzco" and Fritz is a great guy and a fellow inmate plus they ARE made in the USA and you can also use them with a 525 chain as well a 520 chain. I thought you could get them via Pro Cycle as well but I don't see them at this point: https://www.ebay.com/itm/333327745212

And now back to your regularly scheduled channel...already have the seat, tank, and airbox door off, time to analyze my 6F19 needle next to my Dynojet needle and change main jets....and hopefully take the DR for a "butt" Dyno test ride later today. Installing a 4.9 IMS tank as well but you know what a waaah baby I am about the width of a tank between my knees sooo we'll see :lol3.
  11. SR56

SR56 Long timer

Oddometer:
    Shifter karts are a blast...a good 125cc shifter kart will do 0-100 mph and back to 0 in less than 10 seconds. Just an example of the power to weight as well as how well the brakes work. Everybody should try it at least once :D.
    JRowland, LexTalionis and JagLite like this.
  12. tobiism

tobiism Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    ProCycle has them.
    Screenshot_20210725-073800_Chrome.jpg
    stoney4vida, JagLite and AK650 like this.
  13. SR56

SR56 Long timer

Oddometer:
    Thanks tobiism...I guess I am slipping :lol3.

Do the JT or PBI 520 sprockets have the extra width on the countershaft that the Fritzco sprockets provide?

The Fritzco sprockets have a .460" width where they contact the shaft...I think :-).
    tobiism likes this.
  14. sandwash

sandwash Long timer

Oddometer:
    BergDonk and JagLite like this.
  15. SR56

SR56 Long timer

Oddometer:
    JagLite likes this.
  16. NC Rick

Oddometer:
    I hosed it off. Kinda like it:-) 6BC9B68E-2E08-4D60-89EA-1503B6BDC764.jpeg 38911972-8634-4C04-923C-D40CD1E4F8A1.jpeg 8D5F8601-BA1D-4B39-B4C7-AC98F88B8F32.jpeg
    Nobade, AK650, dbarale and 15 others like this.
  17. washout800

washout800 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Looks a lot like the one I had. Miazda.JPG
    AK650, JRowland, stoney4vida and 7 others like this.
  18. spklbuk

spklbuk Long timer

Oddometer:
  19. SCTrailrider

SCTrailrider Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    No experience with the V6 Mustang or the NC Miata but my NA8 is a hoot on the street. Fast accelerating it is not. I think the NC will be quicker. Or less slow depending on your point of view.
    JRowland likes this.
  20. JagLite

JagLite Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    Since we are sharing our 4 wheel DR pictures

This is with my 13" 235 DOT race tires at an autocross:

[​IMG]

I have full adjustable coil over Bilsteins and was trying different heights, this is raised about an inch from full drop.
    It also has chassis braces, shock strut and adjustable anti-roll bars.

The trailer I made to haul the wheels, jack, chairs, cooler, air tank, and everything else...

[​IMG]

I made a removable hitch that only leaves two mount plates bolted to the car, the cross bar, receiver, extension, and ball all come off with (4) clip pins.
    (Light is RIGHT!)

You can see the clean shadow round on the door where my magnetic number was stuck on. That tells me this is after the event because the car was clean at the beginning of the day.

This is where most of the events are held, Alaska Raceway Park (dragstrip), we used the parking and pit area only not the strip.

One direction:

upload_2021-7-25_9-13-51.png

Other direction:

upload_2021-7-25_9-14-43.png

Good fun, but a long, long day for just a few minutes of driving is not worth it to me anymore, I much rather ride my bikes.