the DR650 thread

Discussion in 'Thumpers' started by sleepywombat, May 1, 2006.

1. SloSolo2

SloSolo2 Long timer

Oddometer:
    I bought my 2011 GT/CS with the idea I would get back into Autocross without researching first. Classing killed those plans. The Mustangs and Camaros that used to be Cheap Stock (CS) got grouped with the WRX and limited on wheel width while I was gone raising kids. You couldn't get enough tire to put the power down in the new rules. Not sure where the GT350 fits but generally I think the Mustang platform has better classing in road racing.

All this talk has me thinking about formula cars like F500 and F1000. Now going to research Yamaha R1 powered F1000s. That cross plane sound is addictive.
    JRowland, NC Rick, JagLite and 3 others like this.
  2. 900exdriver

900exdriver n00b Supporter

Oddometer:
    Sold a T7 and picked up this ‘12 pig :facepalm:
    Think this will better suit my needs though AA47F3D7-096D-4F9E-8036-2F3783FF0044.jpeg
    Krons, wilfred, AK650 and 23 others like this.
  3. boboneleg

boboneleg we can rebuild him.

Oddometer:
    I'm back home now and looking forward to recovering as fast as I can. Don't be shocked by the photo, I've been an amputee for 20 years now but they've just done some new fangled thing to try and cure the phantom limb pain I get.

Anyway, apart from the awful food my stay for in hospital for 3 nights was as good as I could expect, I even got me a 'nerve-bomb' :rayof

IMG_9801.JPEG
  4. Rusty Shakelford

Rusty Shakelford Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer:
    I thought the T7 to be my unicorn, still bought another DR though
    Krons, wilfred, AK650 and 1 other person like this.
  5. tobiism

tobiism Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    Nothing seems to come up for a Fritzco DR sprocket on Google
  6. spklbuk

spklbuk Long timer

Oddometer:
    Here's to the very best continued recovery to ya sir. :pynd
  7. fredz43

fredz43 Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    Illinois (right by that road with a curve in it)
    An early lesson of the value of internet discussion groups was when I had the 2004 Mazdaspeed Miata and participated in an on line discussion group of fellow owners of this model. There was a glitch in the turbo operation that happened rarely, but was very unnerving when it happened. I recall that sometimes it would happen after stopping for a bit, turning off the car and then taking off at a sporting pace. When it happened, I would be accelerating hard and as the turbo spooled up the engine would just bog and lose power. Once when leaving a rest area on I 44 and merging into traffic with the pedal to the metal it happened and an 18 wheeler was fast approaching from the rear. That time I had to go to the shoulder to keep from getting run over. Several trips to the dealer resulted in them not being able to replicate the problem, so nothing was done to solve the problem. Fortunately, with lots of group discussions and experiments one owner found a sensor that was the problem. He tested his theory by replacing the sensor, test driving with no problem, then putting the old sensor in and seeing the problem reoccur. I bought the sensor for about $50 and the problem was gone. Some had reported this to the NHTSA, but they did nothing to initiate a recall and I don't know if they ever did. I traded the car in 2013 and gave the dealer a spare sensor to tell the new owner that if that problem ever happened again, just replace the faulty sensor.

I did one track class and had a blast. I really had my eyes opened when I let my instructor drive during one of the sessions. I took it to many of my favorite Ozark twisties that I had enjoyed on my sport bikes many times and was able to show my wife how much fun those roads were.

After 8 years as our second car, I traded it as my wife was no longer able to get in and out very easily, so it wasn't as practical as it once was. Sure was fun while it lasted, though.

Fred and the Mazda Staging.jpg
  8. DR650SEDDY

DR650SEDDY ride2discover Supporter

Oddometer:
    I wish u speedy recovery & Godspeed.
    boboneleg, AK650, JRowland and 2 others like this.
  9. DR650SEDDY

DR650SEDDY ride2discover Supporter

Oddometer:
    The DR650 is the closest to unicorn u can get with bunch of mods throwing at it.
    Krons, boboneleg, AK650 and 5 others like this.
  10. SR56

SR56 Long timer

Oddometer:
    NICE set up and the smart way to do it IMO :-).
    What are those humpy looking things in the background...I don't have any of those around me :imaposer.

Yes, I agree on the seat time vs the prep time compared to riding a bike...I'd just do some local Solo II stuff (although they call it something else now) and maybe a track day occasionally with "NOLA" about a 3 hour drive and "Barbers" about a 4 hour drive.
    Sonny S. and JagLite like this.
  11. 900exdriver

900exdriver n00b Supporter

Oddometer:
    It sure is a great bike. However, the DR will be all I need for right now.
  12. SR56

SR56 Long timer

Oddometer:
    Yep, classing can make something that appears to be a great idea...a NOT so good idea. Back when I first started a Formula V was a good idea...now I am not so sure any parts still exist. Can't remember the class name but there was a Formula car that ran a two cylinder snow mobile engine...they were amazingly fast, reliable, and relatively inexpensive. I never was a Formula car fan (too cramped) but they definitely have advantages...much like something with a "liter" motor should have :D.

I am to the point now I'd just race against myself and the clock and not worry about how fast I was compared to others...at least that would be my intent until I got on the track and forgot everything I so carefully thought out :lol2.
    kbuckey and JagLite like this.
  13. Mongle

Mongle Knuckle dragger

Oddometer:
    *User name checks out. :lol3

Take care and get well. :freaky
  14. tominboise

tominboise Long timer

Oddometer:
    Formula 500 is the class with the 2 stroke engine and CVT drive.

I bought a new autocross car in late 2019. Didn't do my homework on classing and class winners. I bought a GTI, which seems to have the specs to be a good street class autocross car (competes in G street), but if I had done some research, I would have discovered that the Honda Civic SI totally dominates the class. They are around 280lbs lighter, geared lower and have wheels that are 1/2" wider. Those differences translate into about a 1 second difference on a 45 second regional course. It's a bummer, but my own fault.

So it's getting turned into my wifes daily driver and I am looking for another race car.
    JRowland, SloSolo2 and JagLite like this.
  15. SR56

SR56 Long timer

Oddometer:
    Hey don't talk about your Monkey that way, it isn't a "pig", it is a "piglet"...Yes I know, wrong bike :-).

I have to agree with you on the DR vs the T7...after renting a T7. I was all hyped up on the T7 when they first came out but now I am glad I didn't buy one :-).
  16. SR56

SR56 Long timer

Oddometer:
    Here is a link to them on EBay: https://www.ebay.com/itm/333327745212#viTabs_0

I got to know Fritz (his last name) a little bit and he is a great guy, pretty sharp, and very helpful. His Avatar on the forum is "fritzcoinc" if you or anybody else has questions.
    AK650, tobiism and JagLite like this.
  17. Weldman

Weldman Long timer

Oddometer:
    So I hit 70+ passing somebody and my front wheel did what was almost the "death wobble." Slowed down and it rides okay. Took the wheel off at home to rebalance and noticed I've got some run-out both side-to-side and up-and down. Crazy because I've never felt it until I go 70+. Anyhow, I've ordered a spoke wrench and researched how to true the wheel up. Doesn't seem too hard to do. Am I fooling myself? Anyone here trued their own wheels?

Thanks.
    drhippie2 and JagLite like this.
  18. Nogoodnamesleft

Nogoodnamesleft Long timer

Oddometer:
    :thumb

Sounds like an interesting procedure.
    Hope the operation went well and you get a good result from it.
    boboneleg, AK650 and JRowland like this.
  19. JagLite

JagLite Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    Your Googlefu skills need some work:

upload_2021-7-25_13-39-50.png

upload_2021-7-25_13-39-22.png
    JRowland likes this.
  20. tobiism

tobiism Long timer Supporter

Oddometer: