the DR650 thread

Discussion in 'Thumpers' started by sleepywombat, May 1, 2006.

1. DR650SEDDY

DR650SEDDY ride2discover Supporter

Oddometer:
    Choice of Tires & suspensions plays big role in stability than weight consideration. Of course riding experience is one parameter to consider as well.
  2. William Wolfen

William Wolfen Long timer

Oddometer:
    Stability in gravel is relative, no matter the bike.

I'd say suspension and, to a lesser extent, tires are far more important than weight.
    x32792 likes this.
  3. Mongle

Mongle Knuckle dragger

Oddometer:
    Blend.

:lol3
    AK650, NC Rick, JRowland and 3 others like this.
  4. AwDang

AwDang Enabler

Oddometer:
    I’ll ask the boss if she’ll let DR riders in now :D
    I just got back from my first ~100mi on the DR.....I don’t know why I fought that Tiger so long
  5. HapHazard

HapHazard Be Kind - Rewind

Oddometer:

:lol3
    Fishnbiker likes this.
  6. Rusty Rocket

Rusty Rocket Life behind "Bars"

Oddometer:
    I have s 21" tube and a set of mini jumper cables in my fender bag, and never even considered that it might affect handling.
    I've gotta take it off and see for myself.
    JagLite and AK650 like this.
  7. spklbuk

spklbuk Long timer

Oddometer:
    IIABDFI..If it ain't broke don't fix it!
  8. Ohio_Danimal

Ohio_Danimal If I die trying, at least I tried Supporter

Oddometer:
    When I built my DR and was doing break-in miles and getting ready to leave for a long time, I did a lot of experimenting with various things, at first for additional motor cooling, and here are my observations about a few recent discussions concerning finned valve inspection covers as well as how weighted fender bags affect handling.
    I rode a while with a stock high fender and brace, with a Wolfman fender bag. One spare tube and patch kit and a few other items.
    I could definitely tell when it was mounted compared to not. Having all the weight off the steering with the Yenkro fairing makes you notice slight steering weight changes I think.
    Keep in mind all the while running a Vapor monitoring head temps (sensor ring under spark plug) which, while not matching oil temps, does have a faster response time as the head’s heat cycles are extreme compared to the crankcase temps.
    At first I disliked the way the high fender shook slightly at highway speeds and/or crosswinds. So I looked for a low fender that I could mount kinda higher than most for mud clearance and yet would look factory. There were two choices. The XF650 Freewind fender or the Honda Dominator fender, which I went with.
    First thing I noticed was how stable it felt. Like no wind input to the steering from the high fender catching it all.
    Then I noticed lower head temps! And sitting in traffic when head temps get crazy, the speed at which it dropped once moving was faster compared to the high fender.
    Then, shortly thereafter I got the finned valve covers. Again, several degrees lower temps at specific gears/load. Well worth the $$

I think the large flanks of the Safari tank really help funnel air right over the head.

And, I always figured that if I was ever somewhere and the wheel clogged with mud so bad it couldn’t move, I’d just tear the low fender off and chuck it. Dirt bike fenders are available all over. And cheap.
    I like the way the lower fender looks as well. That helps. 2644D7C9-5BA5-432A-8CBE-43685FC6BA3B.jpeg
  9. dbarale

dbarale Squiddly slow

Oddometer:
    Says the guy with the 790…
  10. dbarale

dbarale Squiddly slow

Oddometer:
    On the subject of sumos, I had a converted DR350 with 17” wheels that was a fantastic tool for the super tight roads around here, BUT, it was absolutely useless on gravel, and it required a bit of tuning to get it so it no longer felt like I was pushing the front tire in the corners.
    Ultimately I converted back to dirt-ish after I touched the peg on a right hand corner on one of my favorite local roads. I am nowhere near @NC Rick fast and I realized that I was gonna run out of talent pretty quickly…

Edit: and yes, I still miss it.
  11. AwDang

AwDang Enabler

Oddometer:
    DOES anyone on the east coast, Appalachia preferred, have a stock seat they’d like to get rid of?
    The low seat I have isn’t gonna work for me and I have a trip coming up.
    dcwilcox likes this.
  12. sandwash

sandwash Long timer

Oddometer:
    C82091EE-B3F9-46C7-8273-29F01A0DC97B.jpeg View attachment 3266570 This don't look good, it sure did throw it up in the air
    0D710029-1A6D-44C5-A703-ABBF451D91EB.jpeg
    Theses nylon bushings don't seem to last long.

Attached Files:

13. boulet_boulet

boulet_boulet Long timer

Oddometer:
    I have foam and a cover you can have for shipping. I think I saw that @rtwpaul was selling a stock seat in the FM recently.
    TreasureState and AwDang like this.
  14. AwDang

AwDang Enabler

Oddometer:
    I sent you a pm, Paul is too far away for shipping it cost effectively.
  15. dbarale

dbarale Squiddly slow

Oddometer:
    I think I still have foam and cover too. I am not sure if I am closer?
    AwDang likes this.
  16. Themastermike

Themastermike Think you caught me in a coma Supporter

Oddometer:
    Motorcycle related and cost effective, usually those circles don't overlap.
  17. AwDang

AwDang Enabler

Oddometer:
    They appear to in DR, SV and KLR world!
    Themastermike likes this.
  18. boulet_boulet

boulet_boulet Long timer

Oddometer:
    There’s probably enough pried off seat covers and foam out there that the market would support US paying HIM to take them off our hands.

I’m sending him what I’ve got. Happy to remove it from my collection. Guess you’ll just have to make him a better offer! :lol3
  19. AwDang

AwDang Enabler

Oddometer:
    This is just a stop gap fix to get rid of the low divot in my SC seat. SC is claiming 8-10 delivery for new orders and grass is sprouting under my feet.
  20. JRowland

JRowland reaching for the sky Supporter

Oddometer:
    I think I first had my mouth washed out with soap in pre kindergarten, I’ve always had a potty mouth :-)

I have one you can borrow until you get your shit together :lol3 That way you can sell the one you have as is. In between isn’t a bad drive.

:eek7 What did you hit with just the rear wheel? :brow
    SloSolo2, spklbuk, AK650 and 3 others like this.