the DR650 thread

Discussion in 'Thumpers' started by sleepywombat, May 1, 2006.

1. FirstPath

FirstPath Long timer

Oddometer:
    Looks sweet! I also have the Wolfman enduro tank bag and large expedition duffle coming too. I'm planning on putting some serious miles on this bike every summer so these farkles will really be nice to have.
  2. Richguzzi

Richguzzi Adventurer

Oddometer:
    A paid $5,499 for my 2012 a year ago. I knew the dealer so your's not a bad price depending on what they want to tack on it for dealer prep and shipping.
    Tell them you want a 2013 at that price just to see what they say. Same bike but it will be one year newer if you want to ever (probably not) sell it...
  3. FirstPath

FirstPath Long timer

Oddometer:
    $5,599 is what I paid for my leftover '12. Had 1 mile on it when I rode it home. Keep in mind that once you get it home you'll do the following:

New Seat: $300 +
    Side & Rear Racks: $200 +
    Luggage: $250 +
    Windscreen: $100 +

But that's part of the fun of the DR. Make it yours!!
  4. eakins

eakins Butler Maps

Oddometer:
    i had the exact same experience with the Shinko 700s.
    others have confirmed this too.

they are old Kings mold tires. they look like they would do well in the dirt but i think all the off-angle knob edges just spin but do not bite the dirt. also the 700 wore way too fast.

the 244 knobs are squared off to the dirt and bite very well. Shinko says the 700 is a heavy duty tire but i'm not seeing it. 244 last much longer than 700s. 244 rear with an IRC TR8 is my long-lasting & even wear out 50/50 dual sport combo of choice. from MSS $60 for the 244 and $65 for the TR8, so $125 shipped for the set!

...I've done a TKC-80 front ($117) & Mefo Explorer rear ($145) or $262 combo. NOT worth over over 2x the price these days IMO. the TR8 works & lasts just like the TCK-80 and the Mefo is NOT getting 2x the life of the 244 yet is more than 2x the price. When the Mefo was $100 way back when it was worth it.

TR8/244 rules for DR dual-sport riding!

Still crossing my fingers that Mitas can come through with 130-17" E07 rear in the US around the $95-100 mark.
    They are hitting that in many other countries and that rear has an awesome reputation for grip and long life.

5. Adv Grifter

Adv Grifter on the road o'dreams

Oddometer:
    hey Fred,
    Have you ridden either bike? I would never trust forums to make your buying decision. I'd ride both bikes, see which one works for you.
    Are you looking at a NEW BMW G650 single? Or a used F650 version? Or?

Also check out the BMW G650 Sertao ... but the most interesting bikes out there now (for me) are the new Husqvarna Terra and Strada ( both BMW made) . These bikes are very good value and deals are out there NOW. They compare well to the DR650 ... and not much more money.
    But they won't be around long.

If, after some test rides, you decide on the DR650 ... I'd go for a nice used one. Year or two old maybe? Find one with some extras. You could save over $2000 from new price. Most DR's level off at around $3500 and don't drop too much below that unless very old and/or high miles.

Good luck. Enjoy your shopping!
  6. eakins

eakins Butler Maps

Oddometer:
    I'd buy a DR and use the extra $ over the GS for upgrades.
  7. Adv Grifter

Adv Grifter on the road o'dreams

Oddometer:
    That new IRC TR-8 will be my next front tire. I remember you mentioned it months ago. I've not been dirt riding my DR at all lately so my current knobby fronts are still more or less OK. But the IRC will be next up! Thanks again for the Tip! :freaky
  8. eakins

eakins Butler Maps

Oddometer:
    indeed that is true.
    Heidi and Mefo are German and $140-$150 a rear.
    Mitas is eastern Euro/Czech Republic and in other markets come in a bit cheaper.
    The E07 rear is a highly regarded high-mileage dual-sport tire.
    It's a very similar design as the well known mefo explorer

i've exchanged many emails back and forth with one of the Mitas exec, Juri.
    he keeps saying with Mitas' purchase of Savatech (another tire mfg those in the US have never heard of) they will have US distribution in places for Mitas and Savatech tires. we will see. http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=706242

this is new
    [​IMG]

this is how they can push towards 10K miles.
    harder rubber compound plus a center wear bar (in the 130 size) that fully engages at the end of tire life and gets you extra miles when you need it...think touring and i need to make that much farther.
    [​IMG]
  9. USAIR

USAIR picking and riding

Oddometer:
    Thanks everyone I have ridden the DR but not the GS .
    DR height wise feels like the Wee.
    Ride wise feels like a bigger Xt.

And I know I have to get some farkles but that's the fun part.

Anyone else want to chime in?

thanks

Fred
  10. Krusty ...

Krusty ... What? Me hurry?

Oddometer:
    Here's a link to Adam Lewis's (JediMaster) blog about his world wide motorcycle adventures: http://shortwayround.co.uk/

He began his journey on a F650, but later switched to the DR650. Be sure to check out his section about bike prep. Lots of great info there about what worked for him and what didn't. Good stuff.
  11. acap650

acap650 acap650

Oddometer:
    Been down the F650GS (single) and Weestrom road. Both great bikes for what they are - more highway capable but heavier offroad than the DR. Even though I have mine set up with more street bias (lowered, 19 in. front wheel and higher 16T front gear) it is still more capable in the dirt than the others. All bikes are a compromise, but the DR works best for me. You will have to decide what kind of riding you want to do and base your decision on that. Good luck.
  12. FlowBee

FlowBee Just me.

Oddometer:
    AG - Is this true? What years ? My impression as of 2010 was that Suzuki still didn't care.

My new 09 was ridden 60 miles in late 09, then sat in pieces in the garage until mid 11 when I did the NSU. Mine were barely finger tight on the upper screw and two-finger tight on the lower screw.

I removed the clutch basket, degreased, and did it properly - belts and suspenders - with both Loctite and safety wired allen heads. 6000 miles later and of course no problems. Headed back out this fall ...

Thanks.
  13. Emmbeedee

Emmbeedee Procrastinators

Oddometer:
    I just ordered one of these: http://thetooltube.com/ToolTube.html

[​IMG]

Anyone know if this will fit roughly in the same area as the standard DR tool tube? Any pictures out there of innovative mounting systems? I don't want it down in front of the engine, but I'm open to suggestions.
  14. USAIR

USAIR picking and riding

Oddometer:
    Thanks again everyone good info.

I will have to read Adam's blog looked like a lot on good info.

I guess I should have explain my intentions for the Dr.
    The Wee for longer trips it's very comfortable for me and does gravel okay.
    Although I have had the shit scared out of me on a few occasions.

The DR is for shorter trips where there's more dirt and gravel and who knows what.
    Think I'll go see if I can talk them down a bit.
    Sounds like I've made up my mind???

Thanks
    Fred
  15. Carl Childers

Carl Childers Ghost in the Machine

Oddometer:
    Right now I have mine zip tied to my rear rack and use my stock tool tube as well.
  16. Emmbeedee

Oddometer:
    Interesting. I was kinda hoping to only have one tool tube, but maybe that's unrealistic if I want to carry a spare set of inner tubes.
  17. aardschok

aardschok Fallout Rider

Oddometer:
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

I fit mine on a piece of aluminum angle. I later installed a 12 volt outlet in the aluminum above the tube.
  18. DisTech

DisTech Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer:
    The tool tube does fit in place of the stock tube and is functional, looky here. However, recently I've been thinking of something a bit bigger. I'd like to carry tools, tube(s), pump in one spot. Maybe a Pelican 1170. Mocked up a box the same size and it might fit in place of the stock tube but probably would need to be mounted more outboard. The R1??0GS guys mount them all over the place and I found a XR650 thread here with one mounted so the lid opened inward and set on the rear tire to make a nice platform. Haven't seen the 1170 used on DR650's, has anyone else? :ear
  19. ER70S-2

ER70S-2 Long timer

Oddometer:
    If you got the smaller diameter, two tubes are going to just about fill it up.

Mine:
    Two tubes in the fender bag, the red bungee keeps the bag from sliding forward under heavy braking, two 16" tire irons in the tailbag, tool roll in the 12-3/4" x 4-1/2" tool tube. The tool roll barely fits.

The plastic bracket with one mounting hole has broken on some, so I don't trust it.

Details on the mounting:
    http://www.advrider.com/forums/showpost.php?p=19355418&postcount=60

More ideas in Krusty's Index:
    http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=636483

[​IMG]
  20. Emmbeedee

Oddometer:
    I see you also have the side cover tab outside the normal location, inside the rear fender piece. Was that necessary for clearance?