the DR650 thread

Discussion in 'Thumpers' started by sleepywombat, May 1, 2006.

1. Kommando

Kommando Long timer

Oddometer:
    Make sure your intake boot isn't leaking. Make sure you have fuel getting to the carb and that the carb inlet filter is clear. Make sure your idle-mix screw didn't vibrate out. Make sure you have strong spark.

Check your valve clearances too. Your compression could be low if your valves aren't seating properly now.
  2. Mongle

Mongle Knuckle dragger

Oddometer:
    I think the Phillips that comes in the tool kit with the DR is the correct one. I have been meaning to put a real handle I can actually grip on mine.

I have also found through the years that the spark plug wrench that comes in the kits fit and work better than any snap on one that I have in the tool box. Go figure.
  3. Carl Childers

Carl Childers Ghost in the Machine

Oddometer:

Sure it is, now you'll sound like less of a noob. :D
  4. Rocktown

Rocktown Reformed

Oddometer:
    It make sense that it would be. But I know me and if I take it out of the tool kit to preform maintenance at home I will end up leaving it at home and needing it out on the road. Plus this gives me an excuse to buy a new tool. I never have enough tools.
  5. ER70S-2

ER70S-2 Long timer

Oddometer:
    :razor
  6. JagLite

JagLite Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    Actually the screw driver in the tool kit is much better than any phillips you have in your tool box for working on your bike because it is a JIS screwdriver and NOT a phillips.

Both the JIS and phillips look similar but the are not the same.

A JIS driver works great on phillips screws as well as JIS screws but a Phillips driver does NOT fit the JIS screws correctly and will strip the screw head out easily.

All these years we thought the Japanese bikes all used lousy quality screws that the heads stripped out the first time you tried to remove it, and now we learn that they use a different tip... Duh.

If the stock toolkit wasn't so low quality we would have used the screw driver in it and saved those screw heads.
    But the cheapo screwdriver in the tool kits always strip out in the handle it seems.

I use JIS screwdrivers and tips made by Vessel.
    http://www.vesseltools.com/
  7. tlmaffucci

tlmaffucci Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Point taken :rayof
  8. tencrore

tencrore Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Couldn't find a specific 'Introduction' thread, so I thought I'd post here!

Just got back from GP Sports in San Jose from purchasing a 2013 DR650!! I pick it up Monday and cannot wait!~

I've been lurking on the three major 650 sub forums and researched the heck out of the three and am very happy with my purchase of the DR.

I've been riding, and will continue to ride, my 2008 HD RoadKing since new but wanted a different sort of riding experience as many in our HOG chapter also ride Dual Sports and looks like a lot of fun.

I hope to learn much from all of you and hope that you tolerate any ignorant questions that I may have!

Will post some pics after I've picked her up!:clap
  9. TrophyHunter

TrophyHunter Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    Welcome aboard and congrats! I started back on bikes with a Sporty, then WR450, then Wide Glide, etc.

Very happy with the DR and RK combo.

Just keeping up with this thread has answered a ton of my questions so ask away.
  10. procycle

procycle Long timer

Oddometer:
    Center of the DualSport Adventure universe
    For your photo collection:

[​IMG]
  11. blackcap

blackcap Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    so im trying to put together a blog, which im useless at, and hoping to get some feedback from the DR community. after all you guys know more about these things than most. put this together this morning and just wondering what people thought. brutal opinions welcomed :clap (sorry about the size, resizing on here is still beyond me)

[​IMG]
  12. Ballbearing

Ballbearing Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Blackcap, Are those ADV Spec Magadans?
  13. blackcap

blackcap Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    andy strapz expedition panniers
  14. Ballbearing

Ballbearing Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Ok. Thanks. I'm in the early stages of modding my bike and I like your setup.
  15. MacGlennon

MacGlennon Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I was online checking out a replacement Sargent seat for my DR. Never knew that there were solo and 2up versions.
    What's the difference??
  16. Mambo Dave

Mambo Dave I cannot abide.

Oddometer:
    I didn't know there was a solo version for the DR650 either. Are you sure about that?

http://www.sargentcycle.com/Seats-Accessories/World-Sport-Adventure-Touring-Seat-Suzuki-DR-650/

I will say this, though - on the 240 miles trips I've done with it, the other guys with more expensive bikes, but stock saddles, were the ones getting up out of their saddles to get relief. My Sargeant changed my bike, and I find that never is sitting even a though unless it's 95 degrees out and the black seat cover, mated with my ass, is hot. My plan, there, is to get a beaded seat cover for the Sargeant for air circulation during spring, summer and fall rides.
  17. Mudgee

Mudgee 06' Vstrom650

Oddometer:
    Just want to ask the masters a few things; firstly, I installed a bash plate a day back, went for a ride today and I swear I could hear a slight rattle, is this a common thing? Secondly, I installed a windscreen but today was the windiest day I've ever ridden in and it didn't seem like much protection. You guys have thoughts on this? Also, the headwind was that strong, I couldn't go past 120kph full throttle. It was an eye opener.
  18. Rocktown

Rocktown Reformed

Oddometer:
    Hey blackcap,

If you get a minute would you post a close up picture of your chopped rear fender. That is my next project. I was going to just remove the whole thing and weld up new license plate bracket out of angle iron and sheet metal then bolt it to the original mounting holes, but if there is an easier, better way I will do that.

Thanks,

Zack
  19. andruboz

andruboz Serial overfiller

Oddometer:
    i suppose you could check all your screws/nuts/bolts again, but bash plates do tend to reflect noises up at the rider. on the wind- if you really need to go 121kph you have to make yourself small behind the headlight. must have been a heck of a wind...
  20. thump!

thump! Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Or ride downwind... ;)