the DR650 thread

Discussion in 'Thumpers' started by sleepywombat, May 1, 2006.

1. snowrider

snowrider Long timer

Oddometer:
    The issue is only with the fiber gaskets. I'm not sure how you found that picture without finding this info, but the whole point of the picture is that if you have that tab, you have the metal gasket and don't have to worry about it.

Iron_Sam likes this.
  2. David_S

David_S Long timer

Oddometer:
    Also remember that just because you don't have the metal gasket doesn't mean yours is going to leak. Sure there are a lot of reported gasket failures but how many peoples have not failed? I have a hunch more don't fail than do we just don't hear about it.

davorallyfan thanks for the info on the side bags :thumb . I've been considering that setup but am having trouble prying my wallet open far enough. I like the idea of soft luggage for several reasons. Also I have a pelican top case that I can lock to store more valuable items.

DS
  3. compman21234

compman21234 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Which seat do you have? At the Corbin website, the seat for the stock gastank appears to be *very* different in shape from the one for the aftermarket tank -- if they are shaped differently, I'm guessing that they could be different comfort-wise, too. So, do you have the one for the stock tank, or aftermarket tank? If your DR is the most comfy bike you've ever ridden, the seat must be pretty good. Which one is it?

Has anyone ever actually tried the two different seats themselves, and can tell how they differ in comfort?
  4. David_S

David_S Long timer

Oddometer:
    I haven't tried them both but for anyone interested a Corbin for the stock seat will fit an IMS 4.9 gal tank. You just have to remove the two rear mounting brackets and file the holes so the seat can be positioned back a bit. It's a snug fit but I bought the seat used before I bought the tank and wasn't about to shell out the $$ for a new seat.

DS
  5. InertiaDRZ400

InertiaDRZ400 AusSafari Addict

Oddometer:

Oh sorry i had a look and thought it was a Pre-96 manual! Looked old ! ahha

Thanx!
  6. ADVJake

ADVJake ***** dweller

Oddometer:
    The one i have is for the aftermarket tank. I'd say they would be the same comfort, just made to fit the different tanks.
  7. ADVJake

ADVJake ***** dweller

Oddometer:
    My turn for some pics.
    Heres some of the great moments in the 33,000kms i had on my 650.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Roosting my mate :)

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
  8. Zapp22

Zapp22 ZAPP - Tejas

Oddometer:
    Gang
    to help me shop: What is a 4.9 gal IMS tank worth? in good shape

z
  9. David_S

David_S Long timer

Oddometer:
    I recently bought a brand new one in blue for $193.00 shipped. Don't know if that's good or not but it was the only one I could find.
  10. BobCWNC

BobCWNC Orange lithotripter

Oddometer:
    Screen Instructions

. The next step involves heating the acrylic (I use a small camping stove) and bending it to suit the shape of the headlight surround. The shape of the DR/DRZ headlight surrounds are suited to screens because it is fairly broad without any radical angles. Be careful when heating the acrylic that you don't heat it too fast because it will bubble, patience is the key here (remember to hold it with pot holders or something similar too because it will get very hot). Once hot (you will see it flex) I line the screen up on a flat surface and place another straight edge (like a chopping board) above it to get a straight bend. I generally put a bend on either side to make it fit nicely on the headlight surround.

Excellent, I did this for a shield for my GS fairing. A heat gun (like a blow dryer for stripping paint) works well too and seems to be more controllable. I tried a propane torch and got sags. It also helps to have some kind of form to bend it around and clamp it to, so all the gun is doing is relieving the stress and relaxing it around the form. Take it slow and heat it up slowly.
  11. BobCWNC

BobCWNC Orange lithotripter

Oddometer:
    Cutting lexan is pretty easy with a bandsaw, A reciprocating saw will screw it up DAMHIK.
  12. NJjeff

NJjeff Long timer

Oddometer:
    Great thread.

I got a 98- 650. I love it. I also have a 85K100RS but now I rarely use it.

I bought the DR last year and P.O. gave me an IMS tank. Trouble is the fuel valve really pushes hard on the engine fins when I even lightly tighten the rear bolts up. Somethings not quite right.

Anyone have this, or a cure?
  13. bitterjoe

bitterjoe killing the fatted calf

Oddometer:
    Common problem. You can either grind the fins (no, but free) or buy a replacement Pingel petcock (pretty damn trick, but $75). I have the Pingel and love it.
  14. FatChance

FatChance Road Captain

Oddometer:
    Our 2000 DR650 with over 13K miles still has its original gasket and hasn't leaked yet. :thumb
  15. David_S

David_S Long timer

Oddometer:
    Av Corbin for IMS tank just went up for grabs in the classifieds :thumb. $200.00 is a decent price and no wait like you have if you order new. No association with seller etc.
  16. WR_guy

WR_guy Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    96' Dr650 - 200 wr400f street legal -- Hot xr50
    '96 with 25k miles and no base gasket leak. Did however have a cam tensioner gasket leak that was fixed in 15 minutes!
  17. scootertrash

scootertrash Mobile Homie

Oddometer:
    You have the metal tab and a oil leak? your '06 DR will have the new gasket for sure. My understanding is , the metal gasket is supposed to fix the issue. From what I can gather, some of the '03's got the old gasket and some got the new. Not sure when Suzuki made the switch...
  18. Max Kool

Max Kool Xtankteam™

Oddometer:
    I have 40k km on my 96 DR, which still has the original gasket. It's as dry as eeehhh a very dry thing. :D

They don't all go leaking it seems.
  19. scootertrash

Oddometer:
    When he said '03 I was concerned as mine is an '03 and as mentioned in my post, I was trying to establish if he had the metal or fiber gasket. If he had a metal gasket and it was per chance leaking, I want to know about! There has been some confusion as to when the change over occured and I did not want to contribute to any mis-information by saying ALL '03's are OK. Suzuki didn't create any fanfare for this update, so it's looking like it's a crap shoot for '03 owners or buyers. The pic was provided for owners and potential owners to be armed with the vital information they will need.
  20. scootertrash

Oddometer:
    The IMS provided petcock fits ok, but it sounds like that didn't come with the bike. It looks cheaply made (even though I have had no problems with mine) If I had to buy one anyway, I guess I would spring for the Pingel too... I wouldn't be interested in grinding the fins!