the DR650 thread

Discussion in 'Thumpers' started by sleepywombat, May 1, 2006.

1. M1Jeep

M1Jeep Long timer

Oddometer:
    Sounds like your using the OEM petcock with the IMS tank? Either way, contact IMS - 1 800 237-9906. If they don't replace it for free, they'll charge $15 USD for a replacement. :deal It beats wasting money on a $75 Pingle brand "fuel valve". :rofl Use your savings for a spare rear tire! :clap

-RP

2. 6Speed4

6Speed4 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    ok, so I got my pretty lil DR650 now and can see where all the love comes from. I keep seeing that DRs pretty much haven't changed much, yet the SuperTrapp IDS2 says it only fits 99-01 models. Was there a different mount or what? Also, I was curious about a steering damper for my '04 DR650. Does anyone know of a model that works (or do all require welding)? Thanks for any info or links to threads.
  3. snowrider

snowrider Long timer

Oddometer:

I have the IDS2 on my 2005. I ignored the years they listed and it fits fine.
  4. theMISSIONARY

theMISSIONARY hunting and riding!!

Oddometer:
  5. KTM265

KTM265 Long timer

Oddometer:
    Anyone got a good link or resoure for plastic for a 91 DR 650? Like to change the color up a little. Nothing makes a bike feel new again like new plastic...:clap
  6. Max Kool

Max Kool Xtankteam™

Oddometer:
    Hi, today was my lucky day. A friend of mine invited me over so he could build me bashplate. We toyed around in his shop the whole afternoon, and this is the result:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

4 mm of solid aluminum plate. No extra lugs on the frame needed, no holes, just a plain bashplate. Protects the engine from front to back, won't hook up on rocks and even the rear mounts are sunken. Looks the Shizzle to me.

:freaky Cheers Klei!!
  7. theMISSIONARY

theMISSIONARY hunting and riding!!

Oddometer:
    its a bit like the australian WIPPYS bash plates i have one but it wont fit becouse of the fattter header pipe
  8. davorallyfan

davorallyfan Commonist

Oddometer:
    Since we are talking protection

Got some more bling - side case protector
    [​IMG]

Glued on with this

[​IMG]

as recommended.

Hope it stays on.
  9. David_S

David_S Long timer

Oddometer:
    Only if you use gray it doesn't look as bad if your messy like I am:lol3 . It will stick fine. A lot of auto manufacturers are building engines with nothing but RTV for oil pans, timing covers etc. with no gaskets and they do not fall off :thumb Clean the mating surfaces with some alcohol (not beer or wine!) and all will be well.
  10. davorallyfan

davorallyfan Commonist

Oddometer:
    Thanks - I used the meths from my spirits cabinet - what a waste of good metho!:1drink
  11. scootertrash

scootertrash Mobile Homie

Oddometer:
    After putting a divot in my case I got one of those. My old crusty tube of RTV was pulled out and the plate has been holding fine for a few months now...
  12. Stackator

Stackator F800GS goodness

Oddometer:
  13. davorallyfan

davorallyfan Commonist

Oddometer:
    Fook it's Blue! and clean. They letting blue ones in now?
  14. 6Speed4

6Speed4 Adventurer

Oddometer:
  15. davorallyfan

davorallyfan Commonist

Oddometer:
    Your thinking of a fella called 'bing' heres his bike.
    [​IMG]
  16. DRboy

DRboy Bloody numpty

Oddometer:
    My '05 DR is coming up on 22k km now - great bike, and no real troubles. Well, other then spearing a lump of timber through the oil cooler not long after I bought the bike. That one hurt the wallet aye!

The poofter radiator/cooler guard one that is OEM is starting to look pretty tired now too, even though its just grass and shrubbery that is hitting it I guess.

Anyway, has anyone out there fashioned up a guard for the oil cooler/radiator? Be keen to see some pictures if you have.

I also remember hearing someone say they knocked up an emergency hose just in case they hole the oil cooler in the bush well away from anywhere. Don't suppose anyone has pictures on this item?
  17. Warpig

Warpig Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Hello all: about time I wrote something here. I'm one of the multitude of Aussie 2006 model owners. I've got 700 km up so far, and all I can say is 'man this this is fun - I wonder if there's any more go hidden in the top end'. can't wait till this thing's run in!

I'm curious about something: my bike is a Feb '06 model, and came with the little DR250 tail light from new: some of you have a very different set up on recently bought bikes. Anyone else get the little light?

Later from 'pig:gun1
  18. InertiaDRZ400

InertiaDRZ400 AusSafari Addict

Oddometer:
    I also have this tail light and according to Suzuki it's a factory fitment! No idea if they have changed it or not but it's good to have it! Looks better!
  19. Max Kool

Max Kool Xtankteam™

Oddometer:
    Different tail lights for different markets? Mine had the flush-finish one as well. I think that big ornament is typical US stuff.
  20. davorallyfan

davorallyfan Commonist

Oddometer:
    I think the Canadians were also lucky enough to get them too:lol3

Warpig - not sure about that much more up top - there is a big bore kit.