the DR650 thread

Discussion in 'Thumpers' started by sleepywombat, May 1, 2006.

1. ShadyRascal

ShadyRascal Master of None

Oddometer:

Thread of Awesome.
  2. Nogoodnamesleft

Nogoodnamesleft Long timer

Oddometer:

Such a cool photo.
    Congrats on your mum turning 100.
    Thats very special to have her in your life for so long.
    TreasureState and procycle like this.
  3. NC Rick

NC Rick Cogent Dynamics Inc

Oddometer:
    Ha! Retarded (oops, retired) re- tired... it looks a lot like changing tires on a fire truck to me. :jive
    Lil' Steve likes this.
  4. FR700

FR700 Heckler ™©®℗

Oddometer:

Random internet pic'.

But, with a bit of sleuthing, coz let's face it who doesn't like a good sleuth first thing in the morning, I did manage to find that it's from... wait for it... a build thread right here on ADV.

@procycle picked it, it appears to run a fuel pump.

Link to build thread with pic's < link.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
  5. Nogoodnamesleft

Oddometer:
    Thanks for sharing that.
    Wonder if they played the same songs on them,
    It's good to have posessions and memories like that.

For @NC Rick as well, relating to his story yesterday.
    Mum tells a story of when she was really little and walking down to the shed holding the pet cat,
    to see what my grandfather and her brother were up to.
    My mum didn't know it at the time (both my grandfather and uncle had / have a mischevious sense of humour.)
    But they were working on a primitive electric fence set up to keep the chickens safe.
    Mum says she asked them what they were doing and my uncle said "here, can you hold these for a moment..." :lol3
    my uncle says he's never seen a cat move so fast and mum reckons she can still see scratch marks up her arm.
    Yep, down on the farm.. :lol3
  6. D-SportDuck

D-SportDuck Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Today I took a ride on my Ducati scrambler 1100 after riding the DR650 for the past three weeks and I felt a little scrunched! Big difference in bike egos.
    JagLite and NC Rick like this.
  7. StrongIslander

StrongIslander Sidetracked

Oddometer:
    Just saw this...I've been running a Delkevic since 11/2017. First, with a stock BST40 and Mikuni 6F19 Main Jet Needle, C-Clip 4th slot from top (1 slot rich from stock or otherwise known as .025" shim equivalent). Second, with a TM40, 140 main, 22.5 pilot, Main Jet Needle 2 slot from top (all Procycle stock recommended). Stock air filter/air box throughout all. DR ran fine with stock Delkevic, but was to loud, made a custom baffle: much quieter (see pg 8080, #161594). Ran/runs perfect with both carbs. I'm 220lbs and reg. get 49-50 mpg (US)
    JagLite and FR700 like this.
  8. BergDonk

BergDonk Old Enough to Know Better

Oddometer:
    14 x 1.25

I've been using ones like this; https://www.ebay.com.au/itm/Anodized-Aluminum-Magnetic-Oil-Drain-Plug-Bolt-M14X1-25-for-Honda-Black/332101421645?hash=item4d52c98a4d:g:5KAAAOSw46hbJjW7&_sacat=0&_nkw=Magnetic+Oil++14X1.25&_from=R40&rt=nc&_trksid=m570.l1313

upload_2018-8-10_8-36-45.png

The length of the magnet is such that it just sits under, or kisses, the oil screen, so no way can it fall out if the glue failed.

More choices here; https://www.ebay.com.au/sch/i.html?_from=R40&_trksid=m570.l1313&_nkw=Magnetic+Oil++14X1.25&_sacat=0

The aluminium ones are nice and light too, so lots of weight saved as well, and from down low, so also helps centralise mass for improved handling.
  9. sandwash

sandwash Long timer

Oddometer:
    Disk Neodymium rare magnets work good also.
  10. Brutalguyracing

Brutalguyracing Long timer

Oddometer:
    are these produced from billet?
    NC Rick, procycle and adam728 like this.
  11. BergDonk

BergDonk Old Enough to Know Better

Oddometer:
    appear to be
  12. Redfish Hunter

Redfish Hunter Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer:
    Installed a Bajaworx tinted shield today. If one more box marked Procycle shows up at this house Mrs. Redfish is liable to kill me.

Their instructions said to use a ruler to measure, obviously for a straight and perfectly aligned shield. I would eyeball it, use a pencil to mark the holes and then measure from the holes to the edges of the nacelle. This is not an exact science because of the contours of the nacelle. EVERY time I did it the distances did not match. But the error was the same every time. After the 3rd time I realized it was because the factory holes in the damned windshield were not correctly aligned. DAMMIT!

I hate drilling holes in motorcycles almost as much as I hate drilling holes in boat consoles.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
  13. Nogoodnamesleft

Oddometer:
    looks good.. :thumb

y'know.. it's much easier to get stuff sent to a mates place.. :lol3:lol3

and there's probably many reasons why i'm single..:D
  14. procycle

procycle Long timer

Oddometer:
    Center of the DualSport Adventure universe
    I imagine they drill the holes while the material is still flat, then do the forming.
  15. Redfish Hunter

Oddometer:
    One of my Harley riding friends used to have stuff shipped to my (wife's) house and then he would come over for me to install it for him. It was a win/win for him. That would not work for me. If I have to start hiding my motorcycle stuff from Mrs. Redfish I have already lost. I deserve better than that and so does she.
  16. Lil' Steve

Lil' Steve PussyWagon™ Chauffeur Supporter

Oddometer:
    3 of the 5 retards in that pic are retired! But we fixed it with a BFRock instead of a BFHammer. Now I await the rental company's spanking for damaging their wheel.
  17. Redfish Hunter

Oddometer:
    Once I figured it out I was okay with it. I have a decent eye for these things and I was starting to question myself.

I think it's a nice looking product, and thanks for fixing my mistake when I accidentally ordered it in clear instead of tinted.
  18. NC Rick

Oddometer:
    You need a 900ss to readjust your perspective. Really, it’s better to have bikes more different than the same. IMO.
  19. Nogoodnamesleft

Oddometer:
    true..
    just jokes.. except for me being single..
    sounds like you've got a good mrs.. :thumb

when i had my screens for bikes that is similar to that one, i found spacing it about 10mm off the nacelle helped.
    yours looks like it has a steeper lip so may not need it, but just a slight change of rake sometimes helps from good to perfect.
    Redfish Hunter likes this.
  20. NC Rick

Oddometer:
    Yea, there ya go. The weekday riding gang. Trust me, lunch will be 2 hours minimum. Are any of them engineers?:lol3
    TreasureState likes this.