the DR650 thread

Discussion in 'Thumpers' started by sleepywombat, May 1, 2006.

1. Stackator

Stackator F800GS goodness

Oddometer:
    ...and get a little LED numberplate light from Ebay to get rid of that other rear fender ornament.

[​IMG]
  2. shekel

shekel Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Question for Stackator (and anyone else): I like what you have done with the rear fender....more details please on the led light, fitting and number plate hangar would be good. Also what bars have you fitted? I have a new blue one too. What to do with those those bar end weights - just chuck 'em? what about vibes? Also am lookking at a bashplate - any preferences for B&B or Whipps?:1drink

Have found the Ventura rack/pack system works very well. :clap
  3. Stackator

Oddometer:
    Hey,
    The bar is a Pro-Taper from the Suzuki dealer. I just chucked the bar ends into the garage and have not noticed any vibrations or headshake. I even slid all the way back down the seat and let go of the bars at 80kph....nothing not even under braking going down hill!

The B&B bash plate is highly recommended as it covers everything but doesn't look like a huge bucket (if that makes sense). Oil changes with the bash plate on is a breeze - just get one you won't be disappointed. Here is a close up picture of the fitment below.
    The LED number plate lights are DOT approved, water proof, shock proof and rated for 100,000 hrs which is pretty low maintenance(Ebay Item number: 4625052244) (Ebay seller: pardonjon). They cost $22 +$7 delivery. I haven't been able to find a numberplate bracket for the DR650 so I just cut a piece of alloy with the hacksaw and bent it at a right angle in my vice. I have some alloy left over if you are local. Cut the inner guard off at the end of the subframe and replace it to protect the under side of your sub frame from roost and rocks.
    [​IMG]
  4. WR_guy

WR_guy Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    96' Dr650 - 200 wr400f street legal -- Hot xr50
    Can you tell me whay kind of skid plate is that? Where did he get that front rotor?

I need to replace my skid plate with something with more coverage.
    that looks like the hot ticket. How is the Utah Sport Cycle skid plate?

thanks
  5. FatChance

FatChance Road Captain

Oddometer:
    +1 on the Utah Sports skid plate. I'm very happy with the one I've got. I haven't seen one that is better made or with better coverage.
  6. redfishguide

redfishguide Old Dirt Biker Supporter

Oddometer:
    Is that an IMS tank on Bing's pretty yella bike??

Thanks
  7. DRDude

DRDude Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    It's all your fault! All this DR talk got me so excited I went out and bought one. I pick it up tomorrow. Now I have to sell the Ninja 636. I feel love coming on. Can't wait to ride, tell stories, and buy lots of gear!
  8. Speaker

Speaker Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    congrats Dude. It's a great bike.
  9. shekel

shekel Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Thanks for all the little tips mate, sounds easy-peasy. But are you sure you actually ride that bike......... can't believe such a clean machine... obviously no mud or rain in North Sydney this year:D I also agree on the bashplate aesthetics.
  10. FatChance

FatChance Road Captain

Oddometer:
    Doesn't look like an IMS tank.
  11. davorallyfan

davorallyfan Commonist

Oddometer:
    The B & B ain't perfect people have had some trouble with the mounts breaking (not me), and I had to cut a chunk out of it to make the staintune fit - it pushes a bit of noise upwards too (like most of em) PS like yah bike. Theres so many of them in oz I'm thinking we shoukd have a meeting somewhere one day.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    FrontRanger likes this.
  12. Stackator

Oddometer:
    I believe that you have to buy the Staintune full system and that you can't just buy the muffler? Did you notice much power difference? Is the sound much better? How much did you need to cut out of the B&B bash plate?

13. Dr_beat

Dr_beat Bunyip Chaser

Oddometer:
  14. scootertrash

scootertrash Mobile Homie

Oddometer:
    Just read this in Cycle World this morning:

"Best Bike for the Buck
    Suzuki DR650SE
    Here's what you get for your $5K:A full-sized motorcycle capable of exploring the Baja peninsula, of sport-touring in the Rockies, of tearing up a zigzagging Sunday-morning backroad, of grinding out the daily commute, of running probably forever as long as you toss a quart of oil in it now and then. Everytime I ride a DR, I wonder why I don't have one."

David Edwards

Kinda says what we already know....:evil
  15. scootertrash

Oddometer:
    +1 we want pix, esp with your new luggage setup...:D
  16. theMISSIONARY

theMISSIONARY hunting and riding!!

Oddometer:
    i put a full staintune system on my bike
    it gives better response and more power
    its also lighter
    very load without the ADR baffel in place and a small increase in response
    i like it
    tests show that it can get 50HP with the staintune and a better filter:D
  17. scootertrash

Oddometer:

Burren's advice is what pushed me over the edge on the DR purchase. I joined this site in Aug '03 and bought the DR in Sept '03. I'm more thrilled with it now than the day I bought it, almost 3 years ago...

I hope the aftermarket vendors see this thread so this bike gets a little more attention and choices of upgrades. The current model has paid it's dues as it has been in production for 11 years, largely unchanged. It seems like it is gaining momentum on the sales floor and I wouldn't be surprized if a few sales were attributed to this site...
  18. sleepywombat

sleepywombat the DR650 pig

Oddometer:
    that sounds like a plan.... im in perth ... it would give me an excuse to ride to the east coast :lol3
  19. theMISSIONARY

theMISSIONARY hunting and riding!!

Oddometer:
    lol i might follow:rofl ....if i had time:cry
  20. Stackator

Oddometer:
    I'd be up for a DR650 cruise too - just give me some warning. I could take a photo of all the bikes together and send them to manufacturers that don't make trick parts for DR650s because they don't think there is a market for it (they would be proven wrong).