1. eNewsletter Sign Up

the DR650 thread

Discussion in 'Thumpers' started by sleepywombat, May 1, 2006.

1. Rusty Rocket

Rusty Rocket Life behind "Bars"

Oddometer:
    Oh, yeah...for you youngsters, when they mention the East German Gran Prix, There used to be 2 Germany's. East Germany and West Germany. :D

Great seeing the likes of Mikkola, Hansen, Geboers, Pettersen & Robert. I read magazines of the day aspiring to be one of those guys. Where has the time gone?
  2. jdub

jdub Dawg bytes reel gud Supporter

Oddometer:
    I just arrived back home last evening from accompanying three friends on the ride of a lifetime in the Alps. Averaged about 200 miles a day on rented bikes while running multiple mountain passes. Our original idea of "hey, with only that many miles we'll probably run some of these passes several times each day" quickly went out the window as we were whipped puppies by the end of each day. Wow, what a trip and my three-decades-long dream is now crossed off my bucket list.

Came across this fellow from Germany during one break, his wife riding the well-traveled DR and him on his K100 sidecar rig. We both agreed that the DR's mantra of "simple and reliable" was hard to beat. I regret that I didn't get his name, but since he said he's on advrider: Hi if you see this, and it was great talking with you!

SAM_3148.JPG

My wheels for the week, and that engine sounds soo sweet as it quickly spools up to 9k RPM:

SAM_3081.JPG

A view from Stelvio Pass of what's to come after this break:

20180909_125250.jpg

If an Alps ride has ever interested you, do it! It felt like every twisty road ride I've ever taken was just training for this event, and the road culture over there (respect and courtesy among cars, motorcycles and bicycles) is something those of us in the US cannot even conceive of. **Sigh**
  3. NC Rick

NC Rick Cogent Dynamics Inc

Oddometer:
    185E80BF-94AC-4CAF-ADCF-3189F83F24BE.jpeg Wish you folks were here!
  4. The_flyer

The_flyer Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Me too.. But this work thing gets in the way a lot :muutt. Looks like some good riding :thumbup
  5. Sfcootz

Sfcootz fap:hoon Super Moderator Super Supporter

Oddometer:
    Howard Leight Laser Lite or Maxlite are my favorites. very soft and comfortable for long days.
  6. Mongle

Mongle Knuckle dragger

Oddometer:
    Aaaaandd....here we go!
  7. SloSolo2

SloSolo2 Long timer

Oddometer:
    Will plug threads be the new oil thread?
    yehaaa6, Sfcootz and Mongle like this.
  8. Mongle

Mongle Knuckle dragger

Oddometer:
    I hope not. :lol3 I really don't care if people talk about it. I get a kick out of the fact we can talk for 3 days on little pieces of foam you roll up in your ear. :D It's what happens when we don't have anything DR related to go over. Some noob needs to buy the new and improved 2019 DR so we can start from scratch...again.

I'm waiting for pictures from @StannisBaratheon where he made his cylinder a planter. :lol2:freaky
    Ever Onward, JagLite, ER70S-2 and 6 others like this.
  9. SloSolo2

SloSolo2 Long timer

Oddometer:
    I would like to generate some DR related content soon but looks like I'm going to need to trade it for a jet ski. Calling for 15" (38cm for the VERY Southern crowd) overnight Saturday. I live on a ridge but might not be able to go far until the water moves on down stream. I suspect it won't be that bad, the weather media hype machine is usually wrong.
  10. Mongle

Mongle Knuckle dragger

Oddometer:
    I have a generator to keep the beer cold, steaks in the freezer, and water and food for the dogs. I'm good. :D
  11. FR700

FR700 Heckler ™©®℗

Oddometer:
    You're welcome. Glad you enjoyed it.

I did spot a silver '69 Mustang at the East German round, and a red '57 chebby in Switzerland.

For me, the entire thing was a total trip. Roger De Coster' name is mentioned in the final minutes of the video. Another major star for Suzuki, which reminds me of when he was asked why his TM' DNF'd during a moto. His reply was that the bike suffered an electrical issue, which is correct due to the fact that the frame snapped and sheared the coil.

12. spklbuk

spklbuk Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    [​IMG]
    What's that you see? A DR assectomy.

Well then what the hell is that?
    [​IMG]

Why it's two assless DRs!
    [​IMG]

Mmmm...purty!
    [​IMG]

Ooo...shiny!
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Loookeee...Spit shined!
    [​IMG]

And that thar is the damn sweet look of a DR reverse assectomy!!
    [​IMG]

A pocket-dialed pic of the mad surgeon with his head up a DRs ass!
    [​IMG]

My well-earned lunch. Pepper Jack melt and a fresh Beefstake just off the vine...Mercy!

[​IMG]

It's been a productive coupla days. Taking choicest bit from two barn DRs and making one goodun. Would never have thought I could begin to manage it (so far!) if not for the knowledge so eloquently shared here. Thank you gentlemen.
  13. Brutalguyracing

Brutalguyracing Long timer

Oddometer:
    gezz be safe Massachusetts
    25-50 homes expoleded and burning
    150K ordered to evacuate
    wth
    TrophyHunter likes this.
  14. StannisBaratheon

StannisBaratheon Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I’m not sure if I should laugh or cry at that! I’m not sure what I’m going to do if the cylinder is out of spec and beyond repair. I suppose just get another one. Anyway... I have some news. Upon closer inspection I’ve found 2 letters facing UP on the second piston ring. No markings on the top ring though.

I also went through my carb again. A lot of people have speculated an overly rich condition. Main jet is a 140, pilot jet is a 42.5, main air jet is 100. Mixture screw is 1.5 turns out. Needle isn’t worn, but I did shim it and remove the snorkel in the last 85 miles. Float o rings are brand new and I usually average low to mid 40’s for fuel economy. So I don’t think it’s running rich, but again I can’t say how it ran for the first 12k miles since I didn’t own it during that time.

Cylinder, head, and stock piston are going to the machine shop tomorrow morning. Given the condition of the top end, I’m a little worried about what shape the bottom end is in... Anyway If I hear back that the cylinder is serviceable I’ll place the order with procycle. Really hoping that all this work fixes the smoking issue. The clutch cover gasket was torn in a few places and I found some old RTV sealant so someone has definitely been in here before. Cylinder head bolts were also extremely tight I needed a breaker bar to get them off. Not sure if that’s from the factory or not.

I swear I feel a 3rd year failure coming just as soon as everything’s back together and fixed.

Attached Files:

15. Mongle

Mongle Knuckle dragger

Oddometer:
    I was just messing with you. You are going through the 5 stages of grief. You are at number 4. :lol3 It will all be ok. Honestly everything looks better than I expected. You should see some of the stuff I take apart. I look at it and wonder how to make chicken salad out of chicken shit. You will get it back together, worry about reliability for about a month, then you will be back to having fun.

Fix it, ride the fuck out of it, have a great time, and just deal with whatever comes along next. All part of mechanical things... or things with tits...:lol2
  16. Mongle

Mongle Knuckle dragger

Oddometer:
    @StannisBaratheon here is my latest "just check it out and surface if needed" .Surface? How about where the fuck did the hard seat go?!
    IMG_20180913_162050484.jpg
  17. StannisBaratheon

StannisBaratheon Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Wow... At least mine still has all its valve seats! That picture would fit in just great at reddit.com/r/justrolledintotheshop

While I have everything apart I think I’m going to grind down the header weld. Removing clutch to inspect tomorrow, then an oil change for the WR250r before riding Saturday. I never thought I’d have a day when my Suzuki gave me more problems than my VW!
  18. sandwash

sandwash Long timer

Oddometer:
    My new slogan for Cogent: "Ride a Cadillac,smooth as silk.Cogent Dynamics INC.+ Details later,I am just having too much fun.
    [​IMG]
    JagLite and NC Rick like this.
  19. AST236

AST236 Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    Watching the Weather Channel.

I hope you folks in the path of the storm are ok............
  20. cyberdos

cyberdos Easy Bonus Loop ♦♦

Oddometer:
    I found a great spot for the sticker that came with the mug.

[​IMG]