the DR650 thread

Discussion in 'Thumpers' started by sleepywombat, May 1, 2006.

1. William Wolfen

William Wolfen DR Guy

Oddometer:
    They haven't sold them in Europe for the better part of 20 years. They'll all be early models and you'll likely have to take what you can get since they aren't as common.
  2. sandwash

sandwash Long timer

Oddometer:
    Out with the old and in with the new,it's a thing of beauty.Totally way different ride,It just soaks up the bumps and makes for a super smooth ride.With all the adjustments on it make easy to get it where you want it.,very stable and and keeps the rear end planted.With the info I gave Todd at Cogent for the build it was spot on,very little adjustment on my part to make it a super comfortable ride(with Rick's advice).Big heads up to Rick,Todd and the rest of the folks at Cogent for putting something like this out there for folks like me/us that need/want something way better than stock.It is a great investment along with the DDC's for a super plush ride,couldn't be happier with the results.Did I mention it just soaks up the bumps?
    [​IMG]
  3. daveagl

daveagl n00b

Oddometer:
    I'm looking at a few that are from 1993 and around, they look lovely though!
  4. William Wolfen

William Wolfen DR Guy

Oddometer:
    Ok. So that's one thing that needs explaining. The DR that this thread is about its the '96 and later model. The earlier ones are a totally different design. There also happens to be another thread about them. They're not bad bikes, but they've been out of production a long time now.
    Nogoodnamesleft and JagLite like this.
  5. stoltzfii

stoltzfii Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I have a dr650 with a bad knock.

Pulled my head, rings look ok, cylinder walls are ok, the right side of the piston at the top is really black, maybe from blow-by.
    But the valves look terrible. The intake valves are black and the exhaust valves are crazy white. Would this be from the engine running way too lean or from the blow-by? The valves were cleaned and lapped 1500 miles ago, so this all is very recent. I am burning through a lot of oil, 1 liter every 500 miles, but I can't get new rings in Chile, and I'm 250 miles from Ushuaia.

Doesn't really explain the knocking. Unless it's a detonation issue. Any suggestions?

[​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]
    TreasureState and Redfish Hunter like this.
  6. Ever Onward

Ever Onward Older,Wiser, Smarter

Oddometer:

You may not like my answer, but if it were me, I would be ridin in a truck that last 250 miles.
    Nogoodnamesleft and NC Rick like this.
  7. stoltzfii

Oddometer:
    That's what I'm planning on. I more just pulled it to see what the issue is and if I could fix it relatively easy I would, otherwise sell it for parts for cheap here in Punta Arenas
    TreasureState likes this.
  8. Redfish Hunter

Redfish Hunter Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer:
    Why does it look like only the center spark plug is firing? Is that just how it looks in the picture?
    smilin jack and drmiller100 like this.
  9. Ever Onward

Oddometer:

Good idea.

With the look of your piston and the amount of oil its using, I would seriously think about shooting that donkey and putting it out of its misery.

Sure, you can fix it. But there comes a time when it would just be alot better to switch to a better bike.

Strip any special and expensive parts that are in great shape, and just move on to the next bike.
    NC Rick likes this.
  10. stoltzfii

Oddometer:
    Maybe, but I'm pretty sure they were both firing. Here are closer pictures.[​IMG][​IMG]
  11. Ever Onward

Oddometer:
    Outside plug looks mighty funky. Could be fouled out.

You have alot of blowby past the rings. Im guessing you might have overheated the engine pretty bad, and cooked the rings. The rings will lose tension when roasted bad, then combustion can blow by. This cooks your oil, which wrecks the engine.

Like Mongle mentions, its hard to diagnose from vid clip sounds, but you have issues no doubt. Sounds like it could be in the valve train even.

Reguardless, its mighty loud, and losing a litre of oil every 500 miles means somethings really wrong. A bit odd your head isnt looking like a oil burn situation ?

Oil leak elsewhere ? Whats the inside of the exhaust pipe look like ?
    TreasureState and NC Rick like this.
  12. stoltzfii

Oddometer:
    Inside of the exhaust pipe at the header end is white.

I think the main issue (out of many problems) is connecting rod play. I can move the rod up and down on the crank and here a clank noise. This is way too much movement, I belive.

Here's a video, but it doesn't show it too well.

JagLite likes this.
  13. bobzilla

bobzilla Dirty Old Man

Oddometer:
    yehaaa6 and NC Rick like this.
  14. StannisBaratheon

StannisBaratheon Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Update from the machine shop: Cylinder is serviceable and is being honed to break the glaze on the walls. Valve guides were out of spec and need replacement. Valves are serviceable. Everything is being cleaned up while I wait for parts to be delivered.

So definitely good news. I was hoping it was just worn seals, but worn guides are better than a worn cylinder. Will continue to update as things progress.
  15. procycle

procycle Long timer

Oddometer:
    Center of the DualSport Adventure universe
    Any up-down play you can feel is WAY too much. It's all over for that motor.
  16. JagLite

JagLite Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:

:hung :grim :pep

Unfortunately, it looks like the end for that crank and rod.
    Anybody got a spare around there? :becca

Of course not :dirtdog

So, can you source any other used motor, from anything, that you can McGyver in there to get you the last 250 miles?
    Bicycle crank and pedals maybe?
    You just have to drag that DR to the end of the road!
  17. wee-twin

wee-twin Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    The question I have is what caused crank and connecting rod to become damaged?
  18. procycle

procycle Long timer

Oddometer:
    Center of the DualSport Adventure universe
    Unfortunately, that bike had some bad recent history. My guess to what happened is the broken carb slide resulted in the motor having to be run very lean for quite a few miles. The lean running resulted in prolonged detonation which pounded flat spots in the rod bearing rollers.
    waterman28, ER70S-2, Anthiron and 8 others like this.
  19. NC Rick

NC Rick Cogent Dynamics Inc

Oddometer:
    It
    was very enjoyable and I can be a snob.
  20. NC Rick

NC Rick Cogent Dynamics Inc

Oddometer:
    An you leave the bike there? Often that can be difficult.

Sorry that your bike is toast.