the DR650 thread

Discussion in 'Thumpers' started by sleepywombat, May 1, 2006.

1. sandwash

sandwash Long timer

Oddometer:
    Way back when: These guys would eye ball the crank half's,press them together and use a big brass hammer/mallet along with a dial indicator jig set up to get it right.Ya they would just hold the crank in one hand and then whack it with the brass hammer/mallet,it only took them a few minuets to get it right.
  2. procycle

procycle Long timer

Oddometer:
    Center of the DualSport Adventure universe
    That's how you do it. The press jig makes for less pounding.
    Modern 2-strokes have sheet metal 'cans' around the crank wheels. You can't beat on those so you have to stick it together accurately right off the bat.
    ER70S-2 and drmiller100 like this.
  3. 805gregg

805gregg Long timer

Oddometer:
    I bought a Garmin Montana recently, looking for something that had better off-road capabilities than my previous street oriented GPS. It clicks into a Garmin rugged mount, and is wired into a solenoid circuit I have set up already for the heated grips and 2 USB sockets. I reused my hand made angle iron mount from my old GPS which was a standard size that the Garmin bolted straight to without modification.

You might want to put a leash on the Montana, those are heavy and off road they can break the mount, I had mine break and looked down the GPS was hanging from the power plug, expensive if lost on the trail
  4. Ever Onward

Ever Onward Older,Wiser, Smarter

Oddometer:
    Indian Summer !! :clap

Gonna be a bit to warm to ride later today, they say 86 with wind.

Not a problem. Okto - Bear - Fest starts at 4 PM at the little local zoo. Live bands, all the beer you can drink, live bears, what could go wrong ? :photog

Ya even get a comemerative mug . Besides, I should do my yearly air filter cleaning and water the grass. Gotta prep for next weeks peak color rides.

[​IMG]
    Ride Now, Nobade, Tall Man and 8 others like this.
  5. amp333

amp333 Life is short enjoy!

Oddometer:
    Having spent many years working in NASCAR, TRANS AM, IMSA etc., etc. it is very common to have a electrical or other "issue" be "the problem" so as not to have bad publicity/piss off sponsor, engine builder etc.
  6. Warebear

Warebear Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    [​IMG]

Bought my first DR650 this week! 2006, 7k miles. Tons of upgrades. Now I can continue the build myself and keep on adventuring.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  7. Vincenthdfan

Vincenthdfan Long timer

Oddometer:
    Damn....could the venerable DR650 be next??!!

[​IMG]
  8. NC Rick

NC Rick Cogent Dynamics Inc

Oddometer:
    That is sad and the end of an era which was a good run. Those are iconic bikes.
  9. thump!

thump! Adventurer

Oddometer:
    ^^ but still fugly after all these years.
  10. TreasureState

TreasureState A murse posing as a freelance dirt rider

Oddometer:
    Went from the minor groove to the lagging strand
    Speaking of open heart surgeries on DR650's, our DR trio in South America is still rolling south . . .

https://advrider.com/f/threads/the-pan-american-trail.1221585/page-57#post-35931316

270 miles to Ushuaia, and sounds like he is going to make a final bid for it with a not-quite-optimal rotating assembly.

Goonies never say die and all that, can you believe the determination, diligence and positive attitude?

DR650's bring out the best of all of us I guess.
  11. SloSolo2

SloSolo2 Long timer

Oddometer:
    I'm calling fake news. Zero search results for Kawasaki discontinues klr650 and a few other variants. No mention of it in the klr650 only thread.
    Fishnbiker, Anthiron, yehaaa6 and 4 others like this.
  12. wee-twin

wee-twin Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Agreed. I found nothing except this had been posted in years past.
    SloSolo2 likes this.
  13. SloSolo2

SloSolo2 Long timer

Oddometer:
    Might as well flog it. Final outcome will be the same whether spectacular failure or quiet push into the weeds behind some south american gas station.
  14. Brutalguyracing

Brutalguyracing Long timer

Oddometer:
    sound like a marketing ploy
    William Wolfen likes this.
  15. SloSolo2

SloSolo2 Long timer

Oddometer:
    We all know the DR and KLR 650s are going to end but today is not the day.

Just put the CFO on notice that I intend to buy the last model year or nos when the end finally comes.

That said I look forward to what we may get to replace this group. The CB500X is pretty cool rally raided out. Of course the price is much higher.
    Hivernaut likes this.
  16. NC Rick

Oddometer:
    Well, that yellow KLR would have to be the last motorcycle on earth before I would be sucked in by that add :lol3
  17. NC Rick

Oddometer:
    Man, I have been on the 500. It’s nice but a big bike. A lot of people are going to bigger bikes and hanging more stuff on them. It’s not for me. KTM and Husky are in the segment with the more pricey 690, 701. Those would be my new direction if DRs were no more. I think mine (DR650) will last me a bit longer.
    Nobade, smilin jack, JagLite and 3 others like this.
  18. thump!

thump! Adventurer

Oddometer:
    And now back to our regular programming.

My #1 DR, the leftover 2015 I bought new in Dec 2016, got some needed love this week. It has a tad over 13K largely dual sport miles, It's first outing was Broxton Bridge, SC at which I quickly realized I had brought a knife to a gun fight:yikes and the location where my avatar picture was made. After that part of the TAT, part of the MAT/MABDR, a week at Moab, the NMBDR, the IDBDR and the northern part of the Continental Divide plus LOTS of weekend and one day dual sport rides. About 8000 miles this summer. It's been a trooper and has never missed a beat.

This week it got an oil change, fresh plugs, a valve adjustment, fresh FKM o-rings on the float cage, a new front tire, new front and rear sprockets and a new EK chain and fresh grease in the swing arm linkage. Now it's just chomping at the bit to hit it again. OBTW, on this bike I'm running @motolab 's dual bearing conversion cush hub. After 8K miles there is ZERO discernible lateral play in this assembly. It really is a nice upgrade in that I no longer fret about the condition of the cush rubbers - as long as there are some in there, cush hub bearing failure has become a non-issue.

Meanwhile I continue to accumulate miles on DR#2, the 2003 I bought last spring and re-fitted with a 19" front wheel and street rubber. I've ridden this one about 3500 miles since early summer but it's never been more than 200 miles from my house! I am fortunate to be surrounded by some of the best rural pavement riding in the country and DR#2 is the perfect motorcycle for that. I don't think I'd want to take it across the country but for a day of tight Appalachian twisties it's THE ticket. I've owned a lot of bikes in my 60 years of motorcycling and maybe it's just my age and current interest but this one is right up at the top in the smiles/mile category.

bothDRs.jpg

Oh and I did do a 3000 mile road trip up to Wisconsin on the Strom too! Been a big summer of riding for me.
  19. Hivernaut

Hivernaut Enthusiastic NewBie Supporter

Oddometer:
    +1-- CB500X
    edit.. Thanks NC Rick Taking different look in my search for a second more "highways" bike.
    Jeez Thump... Now a "streeted" DR would save part's shelf space.
  20. SloSolo2

SloSolo2 Long timer

Oddometer:
    Was that with the Rally Raid stuff? I knew it was going to be heavy but looked like a better dirt machine than a wee strom and probably a better street bike than the DR. The 690/701 are good options too.