the DR650 thread

Discussion in 'Thumpers' started by sleepywombat, May 1, 2006.

1. SloSolo2

SloSolo2 Long timer

Oddometer:
    Read your post from 2016 on DRRiders today looking for info on this topic. Seems like you are in the business of understanding these issues.
    I did see that Kawasaki is introducing some new models next month, maybe they are releasing a KLR but seems like a strange choice for a big launch if it's not substantially revised.

Just looked on the Kawasaki website again and noticed that there are NO 2019 bikes listed but there are still some 2017 models in the "sport" category. FWIW
  2. WYO George

WYO George I have no idea

Oddometer:
    I honestly could not care less about the fate of the KLR, but there are several dealers posting that they were notified today of it's demise so if it's a hoax then it is a widespread one and not a gimmick by one sales guy at a random dealer. FWIW, none of the dealers claiming to have been notified of it's demise have said anything about emissions standards.
    wee-twin likes this.
  3. WYO George

Oddometer:
    On the upside, I'll be at the AIM expo and hopefully see some new models released while there.
    ER70S-2, procycle and JagLite like this.
  4. SloSolo2

SloSolo2 Long timer

Oddometer:
    I understand your point at one level but the two bikes are so closely related there would seem to be some concern for the future of the DR if the KLR got the axe. Obviously we'll take what we get since our input is limited.
  5. Redfish Hunter

Redfish Hunter Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    I have no idea about the Truth of the KLR death toll but I can say for a fact that the two I sat on in dealerships recently were that Hideous Yellow. No way I was paying MSRP for that awful yellow color. That may have helped tip the scales in favor of the DR for me.

It would be a crying shame for the final year model of the KLR to be that Hideous Yellow. Kawasaki owes that bike a better sendoff for sure.
  6. WYO George

Oddometer:
    Yes, but if the KLR goes away then it would likely increase the market share for the DR, making it a more profitable bike for Suzuki and prolonging it's life.
  7. Tall Man

Tall Man Medium timer

Oddometer:
    With due respect, Rick, in what universe is the CB500X a big bike? Merely increasing the ride height via suspension modification wouldn't make it so. By that standard, for example, the light and svelte CRF250L would also be a big bike.

In stock form, the CB500X has half the DR's suspension travel, and a seat height that is inches shorter than our bikes.

Pearl Solar Yellow/Metallic Spark Black is one of two available colorways for the 2018 KLR650.
  8. TrophyHunter

TrophyHunter Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    I saw that HD model at a recent demo day. Plenty of newer stuff coming with the 114 CI engine. Because the 103 in my Road Kouch just isn't quite enough. :-)

That thing has to pull like a tractor. The RK is just over 800 lbs plus 2 up and it has zero problems getting out of it's own way. I think it's DR like in that it is a low tech tractor so maybe that's why I enjoy both so much...?
  9. Redfish Hunter

Redfish Hunter Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    Not to derail this DR thread...

Harley has more technology and better electronics than they get credit for having. Everyone likes to Harley Bash but they get excellent fuel economy and they are coast to coast reliable. I would not trade my FJR for a Harley but I do have respect for what Harley has done in recent years.
  10. TrophyHunter

TrophyHunter Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    I do like the FI, cruise control, "parade mode" throttle and the brakes will throw you over the front if you're not careful. I like pretty much anything with an engine, so..... I've had over 20 bikes through the garage in the past 13 years, all brands, mostly used of course, just plain fun!
  11. Ffffour

Ffffour Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Lot of highway miles today in the heat and traffic. Two things came up.

1st was after I had pulled over for a second, killed the bike with the ignition. When I went to start it after a minute or two(@ 300f/150c~) there was a pang/thunk from the engine for a fraction of a second. Sounded hauntingly familiar to a bike I had hyrdolock on me. However it was only for a fraction of a second as I pressed the starter and it started right after the noise. Ran normally.

2nd was several hours later at about 65mph/105km~ on the highway, had been cruising along for a hour or so. For just an instant I had complete power loss, as if the engine just stopped completely. No noise or anything, just a complete dip in power. I've had bikes with poorly tuned carbs surge/hesitate at higher speeds but this was just instant and gone, no issues accelerating and running the remaining 50 miles home at highway speeds. Normal temperatures/operating. I would have suspected fuel blockage somewhere but with the first sound and riding fairly hot all day I was a little :uhoh

Broke 4,000 miles so might do my own Maintenance Interval and check the valves tom.
  12. Nogoodnamesleft

Nogoodnamesleft Long timer

Oddometer:

you probably like em for the same reason i do.
    they pretty much do what they are told to. :thumb
    just like a DR. nice and reliable.

but the press had been raving about it.
    best thing since sliced bread..
    "bold new colours" would have been more closer to the truth in my eyes. :D

the new frame design and suspension still doesn't hide it's weight any better.
    the new engine.. hmm.. it's not a noticeable step over what i have performance wise and i also don't like the ratio of the 6 speed box.
    but the bonus is, it'sgood when you realise you actually don't feel the need to upgrade. :thumb:thumb

i might be the only guy in this thread hoping for a completely bigger new DR650.

at the moment something in the shed will change next year.
    @BergDonk has me in the 790 camp
    @thump! has me looking at adding a 19 to a 790 for more street use
    @FR700 has me considering a modded dirt worthy sportster
    and the kid in me just wants something completely new.. that i can obviously touch the ground on :lol3 :lol3
    ER70S-2 and TrophyHunter like this.
  13. Nogoodnamesleft

Oddometer:

1 - sometimes if i haven't started my DR for a while the starter is loud to me, as usually the bike starts instantly and quietly before i even release my finger off the button.
    but when hot like yours sounds, not sure. a dodgy switch contact may cause something like that perhaps.

2 - do you have the side stand kill switch still ?
    if the spring is weak and it drops for a second it will cut all power.
    or randomly if its completely covered in dry mud and can't return properly, because your a lazy @ss that doesn't clean his bike like me.. :lol3
    drmiller100 likes this.
  14. FR700

FR700 Heckler ™©®℗

Oddometer:

Jeebus, blame me why don't you :becca What's next, one of those side cart hoojarr thingyies?

It's enough to drive a man to drink, I'll tell ya. Carry on and don't mind me, I'll just sit over here in the dark and drink my bourbon. No, seriously, I'll be fine *sniff*...

DSC09477.JPG
  15. Nogoodnamesleft

Oddometer:
    :photog:photog:photog

i gotta blame someone for my choices..
    mistakes can never be my own fault. :D
    always best to be able to point the finger at someone else, rather than myself. :lol3
    especially if i ever end up with "side cart hoojarr thingyies"

who knows what might happen in the future.
    10 years ago i would never have believed i would rather be fiddling with a pannier rack for the DR,
    rather than taking a brand new harley for a ride that is sitting in the garage.
    but thats what I'm doing today..

i hate to think what might happen in 20 years, if ktm ever makes a big cube dirt bike for short legged folk.. :rofl
    JagLite and FR700 like this.
  16. themandan

themandan Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I'll hold my hand up and take the blame, while I plant the idea of a dirt sportster with a chair on the side for the beer.:clap

Dan
  17. NC Rick

NC Rick Cogent Dynamics Inc

Oddometer:
    I’m sure I reflect my own tastes but a motorcycle which is 50 or so lbs more than our DR with exposed plastic faring bits and then a bit lackluster power wise (it may have more HP than our DR and better smoothness on the highway) just did not feel like the torquey ease which the DR possesses. I tend to drop my DR a lot, I also consider the DR a big bike at 375 or so lbs. upping that weight to 440 lbs just isn’t my idea of a move in the right direction. I like the DL650, a great road bike that is pretty usable of groomed gravel with room to do two up but still a little underpowered for open highway stuff (which I seldom do). Why stop there. The Africa Twin or tiger 800 class bikes seem more the “step up” if bigger more roomy bikes are the objective. Off road riding or even many of the Colorado Jeep roads we rode this week are great for the dr. It’s not too small or too lite. To me adding 50 to 60 lbs to a bike hurts its maneuverability and it’s functionality for what I want. I don’t have a real short inseam and consider the weight and girth of a bike what makes it “big”. For sure the CBX isn’t gs1200 big but still, picking it up and turning it around on a steep and narrow hill really gets to be a hand full as bikes become more heavy. Longer Suspension travel allows for a softer ride and ability to ride over obstacles that will bounce short travel bikes around and maybe hang up the inner carnage. Just one guys oppinion. A KTM 690 as more power than the DR and is 30 lbs or more lighter. To me, that’s a “smaller bike”. Btw, I think the CRF250 is a bit of a tank at close to 25pr more weight than the WR250R or KLX 250. The CRF 250 pushes into the 690 or DRZ400 “size”. All of these bikes are very nice, they just fit individual uses differently. I mentioned the Versys 650 because it feels more compact than the DL which is the bike I feel is the standard for the next step up in highway performance and room after the DR. No trail bike to be sure.
  18. BergDonk

BergDonk Old Enough to Know Better

Oddometer:
    Sometimes the electrical connector to the coil under the tank can ease out a bit causing momentary to complete stoppages
    Tall Man and TreasureState like this.
  19. Fishnbiker

Fishnbiker Tire smuddy, hook swet

Oddometer:
    Campbell River, Vancouver Island, BC, Canada
    Dirt worthy Sportster ...

[​IMG]
  20. sonic reducer

sonic reducer Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Seems like the only bike worth replacing a DR over would be this tenere 700 but who knows if that’s even coming out! Plus for what it would cost you could have a DR with Öhlins, 790cc, seat made of baby seal fur, fuel injection and still take a month off work to ride.