the DR650 thread

Discussion in 'Thumpers' started by sleepywombat, May 1, 2006.

1. NC Rick

NC Rick Cogent Dynamics Inc

Oddometer:
    Not Rally RAID but our own suspension with increased travel. The body work is similar to a KLR. The power is ok I suppose. I don’t remember the weight off hand but it’s in there with the Versys 650 which is what I would start with if I were wanting a more compact twin. Which I don’t so my opinion may not mean much. Remember, we ride bikes with 10 inches of travel. A couple, three inches less is a big deal for how a bike is going to work. A guy rode his F800 GS to the top of Radical Hill, likely the easy way. We saw his bike parked in a very hasty manner, cold as a stone, locked and stripped of personal positions. I hope he is OK because my guess is that a Jeep or 4 wheeler hauled him out of there. It is DR650 paradise out there!
    smilin jack and SloSolo2 like this.
  2. SloSolo2

SloSolo2 Long timer

Oddometer:
    So this touches on a gedanken I do occasionally and have alluded to here in the past, a lowered road oriented commuter/camper. I think I'd like to have a 790 at factory lowered ride height maybe less, I can get a leg over the seat now without using the pegs but it's a little risky when on an incline or slick surface. I'd also add a 5.3l acerbis, a low front fender, a screen of some sort and pannier racks. Might stick with the cv carb but definitely want the lighter exhaust. What have I missed? 19" front? I no longer commute but feel like this would be a really easy bike to ride up to the BRP or WNC to just tool around with my street bike friends while still off pavement confident and low maintenance and sharing parts with my current DR.
    Sorry for the drift into fantasy, let's blame the Hurricane. This isn't moving out of imaginary for quite sometime but your comment about 10" travel brought it to mind again.
    Nogoodnamesleft, psmcd and Hivernaut like this.
  3. jdub

jdub Dawg bytes reel gud Supporter

Oddometer:
    Hallo Hans!

Glad you saw my post and my picture of you and your bikes. And thanks for posting your picture with me standing next to you (For other thread readers, I'm the bald guy in the grey Darien jacket. And I'm ugly from any angle.) :D

It is nice to see how people can connect on this forum!

Fahre sicher.
    John
  4. SilverFerret

SilverFerret Motor Psycho Supporter

Oddometer:
    I have a Shinko 700 rear tire that seems to be 16 7/8 because it is so tight on that 17 inch rim I can't even get a MotionPro tire spoon in there. Is this tire known for being hard to get on/off? Is there an easier tire I should be using ? 60/40 or 50/50 street/dirt.
    smilin jack likes this.
  5. SloSolo2

SloSolo2 Long timer

Oddometer:
    Is the backside bead near its normal position or have you smashed it into the center near the spokes? Pretty sure you want to get the back bead into the center. I have not heard of the 700 being any harder than any other tire.
    smilin jack and JagLite like this.
  6. Rusty Rocket

Rusty Rocket Life behind "Bars"

Oddometer:
    they made the yellow ones in 2013 I believe, and not since as far as I know. So I call BS on that post
    wee-twin, NC Rick and Anthiron like this.
  7. SloSolo2

SloSolo2 Long timer

Oddometer:
    He started a thread and it's getting some traction. Seems like a lot of folks are offended by the very existence of simple bikes carburetors and happy to see the KiLR go.
  8. TwoUpTourer

TwoUpTourer Long timer

Oddometer:
    Did you have the same mount as you can see I have? A mate also has a garmin mount, but he said it was smaller and less robust. Mine has a torq screw in the top as a second lock to reduce the chance of falling off.

Sent from my Redmi Note 3 using Tapatalk
  9. bobzilla

bobzilla Dirty Old Man

Oddometer:
    I AM a snob. Haha
    Wife calls me a Hop Head. If you hit MT ot WY check out Pacos from Snake River. May be my fav from the mountain area
    Enjoy your trip!
  10. psmcd

psmcd Long timer

Oddometer:
    :bowDRs faster than me now, bicycle too, I'm just happy to still be able to lope cross country side on reliable steed.

smilin jack likes this.
  11. WYO George

WYO George witness protection file #7236

Oddometer:
    I asked the guys at Tri County where they got their info and this was their reply:

kawasaki.JPG
    JagLite and Nogoodnamesleft like this.
  12. WYO George

Oddometer:
    It's not just his dealer either, I found a dozen other dealers posting it on their facebook pages along with messages that they are offering a $500 off discount for the month of September on remaining inventory.
    ER70S-2 and JagLite like this.
  13. Brutalguyracing

Brutalguyracing Long timer

Oddometer:
    I hop is also changing their name
    Rusty Rocket likes this.
  14. WYO George

Oddometer:
    ok
  15. adam728

adam728 Long timer

Oddometer:
    Death of the KLR650 came up a few days ago here. Extensive searching shows only rumor threads, and a few "articles" from the past decade. Emissions have not changed since 2010, and likely won't until at least 2021 model year (likely longer), so there's no reason to kill it for that. I see all the time misinformation about emissions killing a model, or stuff being "grandfathered in". Not true. For the US regulations haven't changed, and there is no grandfathering. Now,if nothing has changed on the bike, and last years model passes this years regs, the surrogate data can be used with no retest needed. The KLR passes with more headroom than the DR.

Anyway, could be killed or not, but emissions isn't the reason, sales or profit would be.
    ER70S-2 and procycle like this.
  16. SloSolo2

SloSolo2 Long timer

Oddometer:
    Read your post from 2016 on DRRiders today looking for info on this topic. Seems like you are in the business of understanding these issues.
    I did see that Kawasaki is introducing some new models next month, maybe they are releasing a KLR but seems like a strange choice for a big launch if it's not substantially revised.

Just looked on the Kawasaki website again and noticed that there are NO 2019 bikes listed but there are still some 2017 models in the "sport" category. FWIW
  17. WYO George

Oddometer:
    I honestly could not care less about the fate of the KLR, but there are several dealers posting that they were notified today of it's demise so if it's a hoax then it is a widespread one and not a gimmick by one sales guy at a random dealer. FWIW, none of the dealers claiming to have been notified of it's demise have said anything about emissions standards.
    wee-twin likes this.
  18. WYO George

Oddometer:
    On the upside, I'll be at the AIM expo and hopefully see some new models released while there.
    ER70S-2, procycle and JagLite like this.
  19. SloSolo2

SloSolo2 Long timer

Oddometer:
    I understand your point at one level but the two bikes are so closely related there would seem to be some concern for the future of the DR if the KLR got the axe. Obviously we'll take what we get since our input is limited.
  20. Redfish Hunter

Redfish Hunter Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer:
    I have no idea about the Truth of the KLR death toll but I can say for a fact that the two I sat on in dealerships recently were that Hideous Yellow. No way I was paying MSRP for that awful yellow color. That may have helped tip the scales in favor of the DR for me.

It would be a crying shame for the final year model of the KLR to be that Hideous Yellow. Kawasaki owes that bike a better sendoff for sure.